Whale Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of chum in the water today.... lots of whale sharks. Saw no mantas.

poorjeff.jpg

Amazing pictures Marcus8.

My daughter and I will be diving with Scuba Tony from July27th until Aug 10th. They don't organize whale shark trips so I am looking for suggestions on whom to contact? Should I book it now or wait until I get to Coz?

We are heading up on Sunday. Looks like the weather will be storm-less all week, so we are hoping for a big shark and manta experience.

Only done the trip twice so far, but the correlation I witnessed was good weather patterns = lots of whale sharks few mantas. Bad weather patterns = few whale sharks, lots of mantas.

JFS can probably lend a hand in regard to if that is true or not as my experience sample is way smaller than his.

My WS OP said yes there are mantas. Not so many sharks as last year I guess, but still plenty. Looks like good weather through Sunday, so if Mike is right that might lower our Mantas. Ah whatever. First time so it will be AWESOME no matter.

This year I have seen a lot less mantas compared to last year where they were commonly seen from June till september with mid august to end of august with the largest sightings. There are still lots of whale sharks but spread out over a large area. The only correlation I have seen weather wise is when its raining, the animals tend to drop down. The photos are from last year mid to end of aug. They were leaping out of the water.

manta.jpgmanta2.jpgmanta3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom