What Apeks reg setup to buy for open water, DIR okay? Price no object.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper once bubbled...
I would recommend DS4's (what I use) or TX100 (particularly for doubles) first stages, ATX50 for your primary (if you want a lighter primary, otherwise a TX50), TX40 for a backup,

Any reason for the TX40 and not ATX40 as a backup?

Apeks and scubapro are no comparison. The "best" Scuabprio reg is the MK 25 with a S600, the MK 25 is a balance piston which is why its getting mucked up, it also has three dynamic o rings in the first stage which is why it needs service more frequently. Where as the Apeks has an environmentally sealed first stage and a balanced diaphram which requires less service. According to the manufacturer however, the Aqualung Legend LX is a better breather than any Apeks. Because it hasa over-balanced first stage and a balanced second stage.

Paul,

I have SP MK25/S600 and ATX100. I don't have any problem with my MK25/S600.
Many tech divers are also using SP MK25/S600. The free flow on SP has been discuseed very well in this board. If you are diving above 42 F, it won't bother you.

There are anyother reason why tech divers commonly recommend Apeks, such as easy mainteance (using the same parts) and part accessibility. They used to have 5~10 regulators, so it is a big PITA to them for the regular mantenance and cost. In conclusion, the reg. performance isn't the sole factor....

bristolxyz:
I've been diving ScubaPro for a few years now. Have not yet tried the Apeks Regs yet. Everyone I talk to recommens Apeks, but as far as breathability, are they much better really? I find that with about 9 months use, my ScubaPro stuff just gets mucked up, even with required maint and regular good cleaning after diving.

Any advice? Everyone in thi sthread seems to agree. I guess my questions is .. how does Apeks stack up against ScubaPro

Warm regards

Paul

I dive TX100 1st and 2nd on my doubles and a TX50 on my single. Both of them breath excellent. I like the 100's for hose routing, but the 50 is hard to beat for an all around.

Back
Top Bottom