What Are The Bare Essential Dive Accessories???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So when it comes to a cutting device what is best to have; a Knife, Shears, or a Line Cutter (like the EEZYCUT)?

Yes.

To those who might miss the point of a simple "yes" - it would be best to have all of them as each is better at something that the others can't do as well. That said I still don't have shears. I don't do wrecks, don't like them, don't see the point. I also recently went to carrying 2 knifes with line cutters as the cold water line cutter's blade kept rusting. I'm searching for stanless blades for it but no one seems to carry them.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 09:53 AM ----------

... Many diver destinations are "protected" reefs so they won't let you carry a knife ...

Can you say where these are? I've never run into that anywhere. Gloves being banned - certainly. Knives - never heard of it.

Can you say where these are? I've never run into that anywhere. Gloves being banned - certainly. Knives - never heard of it.

Cozumel has a ban on knives in the marine park. Making sure that rule is followed is very selective by the dive ops, but that doesn't change the fact that rule is there and is enforceable. I know there are others, but I can't remember exactly which ones so I don't want to speculate.

The Socorros also prohibit knives (and dive lights, although video lights are okay -- go figure!).

I like to think about this slightly differently. What are the problems I could encounter on this dive, and what do I need to deal with those problems?

In Puget Sound, we have murky water and low visibility. Therefore, a good dive light not only helps see the environment, but makes it much easier to avoid diver separation, and to repair it if it does occur. In addition, we often dive sites where there is no particular rhyme or reason to the structure (human debris), so a compass is just about mandatory, if you want to get where you are going, or avoid a long surface swim home.

On the other hand, no place I dive (at home or elsewhere) tends to have much fishing line, or any nets, so I have felt content with a single small knife for OW diving. I own an Eezycut, but carry it for cave diving, where the likelihood of having to cut line is much higher.

When I'm boat diving, one of the biggest potential problems is having to surface away from the boat, at a time or place where it is not expected. Therefore, having effective methods to alert the boat of this is important. So there, at the very least I carry an SMB and spool, possibly also a Dive Alert, and if the dive site is remote, I have a Nautilus Lifeline.

Analyzing the likely hazards will give you a rational framework for deciding what to carry, and avoid the "Christmas tree" syndrome.

So when it comes to a cutting device what is best to have; a Knife, Shears, or a Line Cutter (like the EEZYCUT)?

Have two. It is very easy to drop something when tangled and you may not be able to reach the cutter after it is dropped. Also good for them to be different since some work better on one thing than the other.

Personally I carry three. I have one small knife/line cutter on the outside of my BC on the left where I can reach it no matter what. However, experience has taught me that every once in a great while that one gets knocked loose. Murphy being who she is that is likely to happen when I need it. So I have a second knife and a pair of scissors in my right BCD pocket.

So far I have not ever had to cut my way out of anything. I have run into a few lines but I either stopped, thought about it, and was able to slowly untangle myself, or my buddy came over and saved me the trouble although I could have gotten untangled by myself if needed.

I have untangled, or prevented a tangle, for a few buddies also.

Can you say where these are? I've never run into that anywhere. Gloves being banned - certainly. Knives - never heard of it.[/QUOTE]

I have heard some places in the Red Sea don't allow you to dive with a knife however I think most people just tell them to deal with it. A knife is a standard piece of dive equipment as said on the first ten minuets of any open water class and I'm not shore if they have the right to say that you can't dive with one.

The Maldives officially has a ban on bringing knives in.

Banning gloves just doesnt make sense. So that poeple wouldnt touch things without gloves? Really?

Sent from Tapatalk mobile

In a lot of places, one needs to carry one lamp, a mirror and an SMB. for exemple livebord in the Maldives and Egypt.

Banning gloves just doesnt make sense. So that poeple wouldnt touch things without gloves? Really?

From my experience, the AVERAGE diver with gloves tends to touch much more. Of course there are a lot sensible people with gloves who don't touch, but it's difficult to maxe exceptions for some people on a boat without automatically offending others, so a general ban on gloves (except when medically indicated) makes sense in a lot of areas.

Back
Top Bottom