What are the best US dive cities to live in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$2000/month. I wish I made $2000 a month and if I didn't have so much on credit cards than I wouldn't ever be broke but I guess I dont live in the best place for diving unless you like cold deep water with low viz.

Their are lots of places with great diving but the best I have seen personally is in mexico. Money can go a lot farther down their.

DM's much of the time work for free with the only perk being deals on dive gear but the dive shops here still charge more than the net for gear for the DM"s they raised. Its not a good time to open a dive shop either. save your money and just go diving rather than get a instructor or DM ticket.

Try Hawaii... I live here... I love the diving.

I hate to break this to you, but you dive in one of, if not the best dive spots in North America, probably one of the top 10 spots in the world. I would recommend that you take a year to learn a few spots around Monterey/Carmel. You clearly haven't dove Granite Point Pinnacles with 70+ vis (Pt Lobos); have you dove over the canyon off of Monastery & hung in the water with 1000' of nothing beneath you? Butterfly House? Asilomar? Ball Buster? Thumbs up?

I mean that Hawaii, Florida, Cozumel are nice dive diversions, but not nearly the life or variety you find in Monterey.

You will probably want to move to Marina or Sand City rather than Monterey, the rent is cheaper. You may want to learn to dive off of a kayak to save money. But if you are looking for a dive destination, you live there. You may want to take a another look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad you're done with cold water. Cost of living in some of the Great Lakes areas is MUCH lower than California so getting a nice drysuit with warm undies would be affordable. Figuring out where the lake effect snows fall and avoiding those areas if you hate shoveling snow would be smart.

Making a living off a DM salary probably isn't going to happen around here. You're welcome to come and volunteer with our university program in southwest Ohio.

Good luck in your search!
Ber :lilbunny:

An alternative approach would be to live in Houston. There may not be much diving to speak of within a short drive, but the cost of living here is much lower than California and there are direct flights to Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. You could do a two day Flower Gardens trip every now and then which leaves from not far from here.

I may be prejudiced, but I absolutely love Jupiter, Fl!!!!! I have friends and dive buddy's that come from all over the country to stay with me and dive in this pristine area. We have the tropical fish to the plegagics, sharks, turtles, rays, and beautiful reefs. People from both south, central, and north Florida come to dive here. I have never had a dull dive in my 135 dives here. I've been to Bonaire, Cayman, Roatan, and will be going to the Exumas this Sat. for a week, and Ihave to say that the diving here is just as good. West Palm Beach and areas south are not that far away for a change of scenery. Just my thoughts.

We had the same idea we were tired of the cold lake water in Chicago. We found the US Island of Saipan. Water temps of 28 to 30C a bad vis day is under 100 ft. There is no property tax here, no sales tax, and very low income tax. Our 2 bedroom house cost $400per month and is 800 feet from the beach with nothing but jungle between. To drive anywhere on the island never take more than 10 to 15 min. Lots of shore and boat diving. We came to Saipan on vacation 6 years ago and we are still here.

Dale Still on a little Rock in the Pacific

Pompano beach Florida,or for small town charm and the best fresh water springs and caves,Lake city,High springs or Gainsville Florida.

Hmm, I've dove in San Diego, and while it's better than where I live in Northern California, it wasn't anything compared to Florida or Hawaii. I've done two years of cold water diving and I think I'm done with it.

@dladowitz: Ever dive Scripps Canyon? What about the Train Wheels site in the Point Loma kelpbeds? I think I'd take San Diego over Florida...but maybe not Hawaii. I guess it depends on the island. :)

Back
Top Bottom