What are the sacraments of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
With all this talk on the radio about the holy days coming I thought (with asprin at hand) I would start this question.

We know that one must always breathe underwater except near a "Warhammer".

There is in some organizations the wet the tank strap on the BC prior to attaching tank.

What say ye?

Originally posted by Fishkiller
With all this talk on the radio about the holy days comming I thought (with asprin at hand) I would start this question.

I ritually spit in my mask before every dive.

Have you noticed that divers regularly bless each other with a hand symbol: the ring formed by thumb and index finger?

I sin regularly: using 'goggles and flippers', instead of 'mask and fins'... AND I enjoy it!

-bash

Originally posted by bash

Have you noticed that divers regularly bless each other with a hand symbol: the ring formed by thumb and index finger?
-bash

Could this be some form of a secretive signal? What is it's meaning?

Never jump in with your mask around your neck and your regulator in....

Never try to ascend with your snorkel still in place.

Always check your integrated weights to make sure they are secure, when one drops you become bouyant fast.

Wash your face and hands before meals

Always eat your vegetables

Brush and floss after meals

Help clear the table after meals

Feed the cat and dog

Clean your room before leaving the house in the morning

Be nice to others on the Board--not necessary in the Tek section

Joewr...

listen to what Walter, Rick, Joewr, and the other longtime divers have to say............before you dive...................we will all learn.........

Any buddy can, at ANY time and for ANY reason, cancel any dive without fear of reprimand from any member of the diving team.

Learn it, live it, someday you'll be the one giving the order to abort.

Ber :bunny:

Originally posted by Ber Rabbit
Any buddy can, at ANY time and for ANY reason, cancel any dive without fear of reprimand from any member of the diving team.

Learn it, live it, someday you'll be the one giving the order to abort.

Surely you jest.... Eh Ghads I don't get in enough diving as it is and you think I want to abort based on any time and any reason. Ouch....

<mental note to self>Diving with Ber Rabbit could be scary</mental note to self>

Added Note: This is not meant as the gosphel, if a diver is in trouble it is good for them to abort the dive and live to tell the tail instead of being unsafe!

Accidents happen in steps. First one little thing goes wrong then another and another then maybe someone has an accident story to tell or a friend/lover to bury. I think you may have taken me out of context. The meaning of that is simply to respect your buddies ability to recognize the fact that they may panic on a particular dive. Is it acceptable to encourage them to talk about what they are feeling? Yes, you may be able to help them see that something they see as terrifying isn't as bad as it seems. I would never think of forcing my dive buddy to dive in an environment he/she wasn't comfortable in. One dive buddy doesn't do shark dives, I respect that, the last thing I need is to have my buddy go bolting through a bunch of feeding sharks on the way to the surface. Another buddy has sinus problems that prevent her from getting down at all sometimes, would I force her to rupture a sinus just so I could dive? No. (BTW, I've seen a diver rupture a sinus, it isn't pretty and you're done diving for approx. 6 months while it heals.) Have I ever aborted a dive? Yes, too many new things going on. I hadn't been in the open water in a while and this was my first boat dive, first time on a big lake, first dive to 80 feet, water was 41 degrees at depth, the water was dark green and the anchor line went "nowhere" also, my regulator needed to be serviced but I hadn't gotten it done before the dive trip. Did I complete the next dive? Yes, no problems at all and I completed subsequent dives to 80 feet in the murk and cold. Did my dive buddy chastise me for aborting the dive? Yes, and I was in tears all that evening. If she had made an effort to talk to me and ask what was wrong before the dive I might have been able to work through the fears that I had blown out of proportion in my mind. Have I aborted a dive since then? No, I had 27 dives before I freaked myself out, now I have 112 dives in all kinds of conditions. I've learned to talk to myself and decide if the fear is real or imagined and I've learned to tell when the conditions are actually beyond what I have been trained to handle.

Just because your buddy doesn't want to dive doesn't mean you can't find another buddy. Just let your buddy know it's OK with you if they aren't comfortable with the circumstances of a particular dive. Your buddy shouldn't feel bad if you dive with another person.

Never meant to offend you or have you question my ability as a diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom