What are the sacraments of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber...you are absolutely right! :thumb:

Don't take Syruss so seriously. Remember he is one of the most twisted and psycotic divers one the Board :mean: but we keep him around for the entertainment value!

Amen Sister! - ANY time, ANY reason!

I would note though - that I regularly use the "spit in the mask" genuflection and the hand ring blessing to my buddies.

Thou shalt not bugger off and leave thy buddy
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours brand new shiny diving equipment
Thou shalt not let bits of equipment dangle
Thou shalt have no other sport but diving
Thou shalt not feed the sharks (Florida only)
Thou shalt not abandon the dive plan
Thy knife is NOT a weapon
Thou shalt not leave thy weights on the dive boat
Thou shalt dive all the days of thy life
Thou shalt not flick sea cucumbers at thy unsuspecting buddy (especially for my brother, this one)

Any more?

Originally posted by -=>Larry<=-
Amen Sister! - ANY time, ANY reason!

I would note though - that I regularly use the "spit in the mask" genuflection and the hand ring blessing to my buddies.

Oh thank you it is not a secrect sign but is a blessing, this had me worried

Joewr What kind of diving do you do?

Wash your face and hands before meals
Always eat your vegetables
Brush and floss after meals
Help clear the table after meals
Feed the cat and dog
Clean your room before leaving the house in the morning

Originally posted by Fishkiller
Could this be some form of a secretive signal? What is it's meaning?
Well...:sheik:

The union of Amateur Archeological Anthropoligists (AAA) has theorised that the ring, which is formed by index finger and thumb, is actually a very ancient signal.

Its origins are thought to lie in the war against the Submersive Sea Society (SSS), which existed centuries before Christ.

The mission of the SSS was to kill the land-based human populations that were polluting the ancient fertile waters of the middle east. They acknowledged that 'knowledge is power' so their strategy was to undermine land-based society by locating and destroying all knowledge of the land-based populations.

As everyone knows, in ancient times knowledge was recorded on scrolls made of papyrus. In the dead of night the SSS would emerge from the sea (did I mention the SSS were mermaids and mermen?), sneak into the towns and steal the papyrus knowledge-scrolls. But they were in a fix: papyrus is prepared from an aquatic plant and the SSS had vowed to protect all aquatic things. So they didn't destroy the scrolls: instead, they hid the them in ancient sea caves where the polluting land-based populations could never find them.

Now, it is a little-known untrue fact that ancient land-based society had an early form of SCUBA. They sucked on balloons of air made from the cured bladder of the now-extinct Dodo, and carried bags of roman gold tied around their ankles for weights.

These proto-scuba divers would search for their papyrus scrolls in the sea as long as their air supply lasted, and even longer. When they ran out of air they would signal to their dive-buddies that they had no air - or 'zero air'. The hand signal for 'zero air' was a zero formed between thumb and fore-finger.

So there you have it: the Amateur Anthropological Archeologists have concluded that the meaning of the secretive hand signal is I've run out of air

-bash :jester:

Epilogue

These brave ancient scuba divers were passionate about their search for the papyrus knowledge-scrolls and would often die in their search. Their watery grave was the sea, which became known as the 'sea-of-the-dead'.
And that is how the Dead Sea got its name; another little-known untrue fact.

Some of the papyrus knowledge scrolls that were hidden by the SSS have recently been discovered - known as the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Do you remember to bless the boat with the big "over the head ring" before you go down? Just to make sure it doesn't sink before you get back, never can be too careful!

Syruss and I made up, by the way.

Commercial mask defogger? Spit is free!

Ber :bunny:

Thou shalt not commit diving sins while my name is engraved on thy c-card.
Thou shalt not make the DM enter upon the waters to save thy sorry butt.
Thou shalt fasten thy seatbelt on the way to thy dive site.
Thou shalt find the boat at the end of the dive.
Thou shalt keep thy dive station tidy.
Thou shalt not tell ANYONE that I taught you to blow bubble rings in the pool.

If you are a camera person...check and make sure you have loaded film in the camera (this check MUST be done at least 3 times in a 10 min. interval). Test flash the strobe at least 4 times (in your buddy's eyes, of course)...just to make sure you put batteries in the strobe. And, finally, it must be rearranged (gently!) on the camera table a minimum of 6 times before actually picking it up.

Ok...maybe this isn't a sacrement...more of an "obssesive-compulsive behavior ritual".

But, is there a difference??

BTW...hi Ber! Glad to see another long eared, big toothed diver on board!

Proverbs 20:23 KJV Divers weights are an abomination unto the Lord; and a false balance is not good.

Thou shalt not mistake plastic squid lures for new species of marine life
Thou shalt remain calm while pointing out said species to your dive master
Thou shalt not rip out said dive master's reg in order to attract his attention while pointing out new species...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom