What did you buy that you dont regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best thing I ever bought for scuba was a gear bag with wheels.

My training and diving gear!
(More details in the profile)

Custom front zip wetsuit from Oceaner. :)

This is easy:

Can lights - my 18 and my 21. Gotta have a buddy light. I think I've sold more can lights by having the buddy light... friggen Salvo, and Sartek and Halcyon and Dive Rite - these people owe me, big time. :D A can light just makes every dive more enjoyable.

Wrist Gauges - liberation from the brick on a stick was the second best move I made.

Spring Straps - why on earth would anyone dive with rubber straps these days? Talk about horse and buggy. I totally don't get it.

I love all my gear, but these three things I love a little bit more than the rest.

At the very top of the list (just moved there this weekend, BTW) is my Nikon D70 photo rig. 99% of SB doesn't get to see my photos, as I only post them in the SoCal room. But I've learned more about the marine environment I dive in, and more about the creatures, their interactions, their interdependance, their amazing lives (and their names, for heaven's sake) from taking thousands of Macro pix over the last 13 months than I did over the previous 7 years of diving. I appreciate more, I am in greater awe and I enjoy diving by a greater order of magnitude as a direct result of taking shots and then studying the shots and essentially reverse engineering all the stuff in there.

I'd say my camera rig has been the piece of equipment I regret the least.

---
Ken

Another vote for the DSS wrist mounts for compass and computer. They rock.

The fact is that almost all the gear I have now actively pleases me. My two backplates are perfect, the harnesses are adjusted just so. My LED upgrade for my backup light is fabulous. My Titan LX singles reg travels well and serves at depth; my MK25/S600 doubles regs are sweet.

My Mobby's drysuit has redeveloped the crotch leak that has plagued it off and on since I bought it, but a replacement suit is on the way, and this one will go off to Superior Drysuit Repair when I have something else to dive. But I've put almost 250 dives on this Mobby's suit, so I can't complain too much.

I adore my jetfins and my springs straps, and I LOVE my X-shorts, which are unfortunately no longer made (a brilliant idea that sadly fell a little short in execution).

My Scubapro wetsuit fits like a glove, on the occasions when I get to dive in water warmer than my refrigerator. On normal days, my Viking dry glove rings are the only ones I know that have NEVER popped off and never flooded a glove.

So much gear I'm really and truly happy with. The second time was the charm for most of this!

I love my DSS bp/w and dive rite 10 watt can light. I just got both of these fairly recently, but I already don't know why someone would dive a jacket and the light is amazing!

OH - I forgot my Diving Concepts Dry Gloves!!!!

These things rule. I work a lot on every dive - moving strobes to better light my subjects, carrying around my Can Light head, schlepping a heavy cam ring around, writing comedy to my buddy in my wet notes, etc. And I was constantly getting leaks across my wrist tendons in my Dry Suit from just flexing a fist.

I dive the DC gloves because my arms now stay 100% dry. Its not a cold thing (although I LOVE having warm hands) as much as its a dry thing. Its another one of those things I look at and ask myself why anyone would choose to dive a drysuit but dive with wet hands. I just don't get it.

These are the best $75 investment I've made in my diving - BAR NONE. I popsicled my principal dive buddy until she got a pair. Now, many of our friends and team members dive dry gloves. Its just the next step.

If you're diving dry but still diving with wet hands, what's the deal?

---
Ken

- Atomic Aquatics T1
- Agir-Brokk backplate 28 and Blackbird 36 wing
- Pinnacle Polar semi-dry wetsuit

After months of research I chose my equipment wisely and now dive in bliss (most of the time).

Back
Top Bottom