What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I DID IT !
Read every last page and comment !
I should get a certificate of completion !:D

Fortunately, not MUCH of what i've decided to buy made the list.

Looking forward to many years of purchasing scubatoys !

I bought split fins, a crappy snorkel, a huge console, which was more rubber than gauges. a tiny sausage which I could inflate with one breath and a whole bunch of retractors and clips in an attempt to not have all my stuff dangeling around. I have not ditched this stuff yet because I feel bad unloading it on an unsuspecting soul..

akbpilot:
Those piece of crap x-shorts that were floating around here about a year ago. Never seemed to fit right, not sure what they used for pattern sizing, but I don't think it was human.

Yeah, I know about this one. There is something definitely wrong with the cut...its like they taper from the top of the waist, getting more narrow towards the legs. What's that about? I can't use them at all with my drysuit and barely with my wet suit.

Also, I had a pocket come off underwater when I tried to open the velco pocket flap!!! I ended up having a tailor resew all the stitching. I like the idea, but there are definitely some issues. I still use them but...

Jon

I think I would have to say a few PADI books.

very expensive and not enough information in them.

great thread. ive been fortunate enough to be an internet junkie (thank god for scubaboard) and also live in FL with plenty of tech divers around at LDS' to talk to learn what not to buy. the snorkel thing i saw coming waaay off. bought a $3 collapsable one at a tent sale for the course and doesnt take up much space in the bottom of my gear bag where it only comes out when i want to pretend im a pirate with a telescope (land-ho!). the tank banger on the other hand, i had to learn the hard way. i havent rushed to buy any gear since i dont want to buy gear twice.

worst advice ive been given was by a tech diver (LDS co-owner) who suggested that i not worry about getting technical gear (bp/w, din regs, etc), even though i plan to go limited tech, and just buy all recreational gear now since ill have to replace all my gear once i go tech...i quickly informed him how retarded his rationalization was.

second worse was from a kid behind a counter at another LDS...i was in a rush at the same tent sale at closing, and he tells me, when i couldnt get the akona wetsuit i was trying on to zip up, that "wetsuits arent really meant to be zipped up on your own - your buddy is supposed to help." MADE them give me a credit the next day after buying the awesome o'neill i have now at another LDS for $100 (which, btw, zipped up flawlessly).

as a new diver, what ive learned the most is- if it sounds stupid, it probably is. do your research and never take any ONE persons advice.

SUUNTO D9. I had laser vision surgery and my ability to read the small numbers on the SUUNTO D9 particularly in limited visibilty/night dives was hopeless. My long distance sight is great but my arms aren't long enough. Now have a Pro Plus 2 on a retractor and works fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom