• more than 200 dives

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • 200 - 500 dives

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • 1000 or more dives

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-- complaining that my standards are too high --

Of course a close second is the other instructors who instead of displaying proficiency are content to promote their training through slander of others programs...

Keep it up Doppler!!

Jeff Lane

I am glad to see the responses to this. I am just worried at the lack of training that is being handed out with the ow to instructor type of courses. I am not brand bashing at any time here I am a padi ow instructor my self. I do value ALL agencies out there and continue to learn from them all. They all have their part in the industry, however I do start to get alarmed when money outweighs proper training! I had someone explaining to me that the advanced courses are a cash grab and if you need more training buy the book and do it your self or learn from someone who has already done it. Eek!! I do understand one needs to make money but at what cost? A few years ago, the gov entered the diving world here when there were a few accidents and deaths that were diving related. The gov was talking about regulating diving. IE. The shops would be regulated heavily astronomical fees ECT... could you see having to do a workers compensation divers physical (almost 200.00 not including x-rays) before starting an ow course? Then the gov cash grab would start it would put diving out of reach for many new divers. The LDS's higher costs would be handed down to the students and cost on gear as well. I just see a lack of personal experience a problem. I would like to see the standards raised i.e. one must be certified for x number of years and have logged x number of dives per year be pre evaluated as a diver and person before you start and done x number of courses as a DM ECT. Put in your dues and then go on its not a race to get certs there is a knowledge and skill combined with attitude that needs to be nurtured. I was looking at the tek 1 gue course (I think it was that one) and some of there basic requirements are more than the ow instructors prerecs kina makes you think again I am not brand bashing in any way I just think that money has become the driving force behind a lot of poor decisions around this subject. Get the Cash now and deal with the fall out later. I would rather put my name on a cert card with the knowledge that I put out the best that I am capable of. And I f I am not able to do so I should be able to know that and be able to refer the student to someone with better knowledge than I have. I have in the past I have brought on other instructors that are extremely proficient in a skill that I am not 1. So that my students get the best training that, I can provide 2. So that I have the opportunity to improve my skills by following example. 3. There is a competent diver out there with my name on their cert.

rmediver2002 once bubbled...

Of course a close second is the other instructors who instead of displaying proficiency are content to promote their training through slander of others programs...

Keep it up Doppler!!

Jeff Lane

Its funny but that is the biggest pet peve of mine. Next time someone slanders ask if they have ever taken one of the courses there slandering? Usualy not! (they tend not to say much after you do that.):D

westcoastdiver once bubbled...

Its funny but that is the biggest pet peve of mine. Next time someone slanders ask if they have ever taken one of the courses there slandering? Usualy not! (they tend not to say much after you do that.):D

I slander other programs. Not by agency or by name but by description. And YES I DID TAKE THOSE COURSES. Somehow I lived to eventually learn what diving is. I have also rescued, assisted and assisted in the rescue of other instructors student both DURING and after their class. My class also has to contend with the other classes dropping the vis to ZERO. Some of our training sites are getting so crowded and the vis so bad (diver induced) that it is actually dangerouse. So ya I slam them, they deserve it and I'm available anytime they would like a private rebubtle. I also offer (in writting) students money back (I'll match the cheapest course in the area) if by the end of the course their not satisfied with their training. My OW students hover motionless and relaxed at their safety stop and watch the other students wallow in the mud while doing theirs.

BTW, what is it with all these instructors with entire classes that have all their gear dangling, overweighted wearing equipment that doesn't come close to fitting? Ever have one of those student land on you while they are doing one of those butt first out of control suicide descents? Why take students into OW before they can control a descent?

oops... I'm slandering agian.

Thats kind of what I am talking about, your students should be the ones commenting on how great your training is...

It seems insincere hearing an instructor talk about how wrong everyone else is... You sound like your selling cars Chevy stinks cause... Ford is no good cause...

Blah, blah, blah...

just my opinion and that does not count for much...

I will say that reading many of the posts on this board I am very interested in checking out some GUE training first hand...

Jeff Lane

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
Thats kind of what I am talking about, your students should be the ones commenting on how great your training is...

It seems insincere hearing an instructor talk about how wrong everyone else is... You sound like your selling cars Chevy stinks cause... Ford is no good cause...

Blah, blah, blah...

just my opinion and that does not count for much...

I will say that reading many of the posts on this board I am very interested in checking out some GUE training first hand...

Jeff Lane

Glad you liked it. Not only am I sincere but I get angry. Note, I didn't dis brands only silting, being hit in the head by the tanks of falling students, having to perform rescues and direct violations of training standards like unsecured equipment and failure to have students properly weighted.

Glad to see a lot of the thoughts expressed here. I believe it is the quality of the instructor and the material and method that they use that makes the difference, regardless of cert agency. We all know there is good and bad in all groups; no one is perfect.

Scary as it is to think about, I wonder if at some point the trimmed-down, quick-as-you-can training (not just for instructors, but mostly for OW divers) is going to catch up with the industry. Maybe more accidents and incidents (not that I wish for that AT ALL) will cause the industry to pause and stop trying to make it easier and quicker for folks to get in, whatever they are shooting for. Everything works in balance, sometimes swinging like a pendulum; maybe we are approaching one end and will soon start to swing back to a more conservative position.

Although I can't recall the specific reference at the moment, I recently heard that some insurance companies have actually agreed to reduce rates for instructors that are teaching tech and cave courses because the people they train are more experienced and less likely to have accidents...counter intuitive to what most might assume (advanced/tech diving=higher risk).

Sorry to ramble a bit off the original post...just thinking a lot about the quality of instructors at large out there these days and the types of divers they churn out.

Safe diving to all, all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom