What do we need to be safe divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foxfish, I have to say that, like Diver0001, I read your statement as suggesting that even a momentary lapse in attention or a single stupid decision or action can kill you while diving. I think I've already posted that I think that, absent holding one's breath on ascent (which can take only seconds to kill) or panic (which is a single stupid thing that can kill you), recreational diving is amazingly forgiving of poor situational awareness and incredibly stupid decisions and actions.

You have posted a number of stories which show that certain situations led to accidents. I believe it is likely that we could amass many times that many stories of similar issues that did not result in any harm at all.

LOL... good one. That might be closer to the truth than you know. :)

Look dude, if anyone wants to know the exact wording of your post then here it is again:

A lapse in concentration or even a short period of stupidity can quickly result in serious injury or death.

I know how I interpreted that and I'm not going to tell anyone else how they need to interpret it. That's your job.

This line in the discussion isn't going to accomplish anything useful so I suggest we just drop it.

R..

Foxfish, I have to say that, like Diver0001, I read your statement as suggesting that even a momentary lapse in attention or a single stupid decision or action can kill you while diving. I think I've already posted that I think that, absent holding one's breath on ascent (which can take only seconds to kill) or panic (which is a single stupid thing that can kill you)

Do you now agree then that both you and Diver0001 misinterpreted my comments?

Do you now agree then that both you and Diver0001 misinterpreted my comments?
I suggest you continue this discussion via PM or drop it, as I do not feel it can help answer the OP's question.

I aggree that diving is a sport where I intentionally enter an environment I cannot over any longer period survive in and rely on training and technical devices to enjoy my stay there and return to the surface safely. By anticipating possible problems and preparing a solution before even entering the water this sport is safe.

I apologize to Bill (the OP). I'm sorry we turned your thread into a train wreck. I've made a report and asked mods to remove the entire exchange between myself and Foxfish. it's off topic and adds nothing to the discussion.

Once again my apologies.

R..

I suggest you continue this discussion via PM or drop it, as I do not feel it can help answer the OP's question.

Yes and no. Any discussion about safety and risk involves judgement. Good judgement is a reflection of character. The comments made on this forum particularly during these kinds of exchanges can give a lot of insight into a persons character.

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2013 at 08:32 AM ----------

I apologize to Bill (the OP). I'm sorry we turned your thread into a train wreck. I've made a report and asked mods to remove the entire exchange between myself and Foxfish. it's off topic and adds nothing to the discussion.

Once again my apologies.

R..

You may have noticed that Bill recently posted an OP in another thread titled "We May Stop Diving".
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/467972-we-might-stop-diving.html

My understanding is that he and his partner were going to stop diving because of safety concerns. He mentioned an underlying cynicism of the diving industry and the way in which it plays down the risks associated with the sport. Maybe we're seeing a bit more of the same kind of thing on this thread. The numerous cases that I posted reflect the very concerns that Bill expressed regarding how easily and quickly a dive can turn into a disaster. I hope that some of the comments I've posted resonate with Bill and provide further insight regarding his concerns.

This is what I originally posted.

Most divers do an open water course and survive so you could infer the courses are by and large adequate. Those that get into trouble often lack confidence in the water and competence in the basic diving and water skills or are cavalier and complacent. Once you've finished your course, no one is going to nurse you out in the deep blue. You are responsible for your safety. If you screw up you can die! You need to evaluate your skills and attitude and decide if you fit into any of the risk categories. The fact that you are asking these questions suggests you at least have a healthy regard for diving in a safe manner. That attitude needs to be maintained at all times. A lapse in concentration or even a short period of stupidity can quickly result in serious injury or death.

As mentioned in this quote, I do agree that open water diving is pretty forgiving for most divers. On the "basic scuba discussions" forum, I'd suggest that the few who fall into the 'high risk' category would mostly be those that "lack confidence in the water and competence in the basic diving and water skills". Those of you who are instructors would know better than most these divers can easily become distracted or panicked by relatively trivial things. This is highlighted by the relatively high representation of trainee divers in the BSAC incident report fatalities. That said, the more experienced a diver becomes the more they tend to push the limits and the more likely they are to become complacent or foolhardy which can also quickly lead to a disaster.

And finally Diver0001, no need to delete posts. Simply admit you misconstrued my comments and edit your posts accordingly.

Last edited:
stomp your feet some more, that has worked well so far.

I honestly don't know if I should be ashamed, embarrassed or concerned about being stalked at this point.

I really do feel sorry for the OP, though. We ruined his thread.

Foxfish, just a tip about internet forums in general.... nobody, and I mean NOBODY on the whole great big interweb gives a rat's bloody patoot if I understood what you said the way you intended it to be said or not.

Really

Nobody

At all...

You made it clear that what I thought you said isn't what you thought you said. It's all good. Honestly.

425551700_someone_wrong_internet_xlarge.jpeg

As mentioned in this quote, I do agree that open water diving is pretty forgiving for most divers. On the basic "scuba discussions" forum, I'd suggest that the few who fall into the 'high risk' category would mostly be those that "lack confidence in the water and competence in the basic diving and water skills". Those of you who are instructors would know better than most these divers can easily become distracted or panicked by relatively trivial things. This is highlighted by the relatively high representation of trainee divers in the BSAC incident report fatalities. That said, the more experienced a diver becomes the more they tend to push the limits and the more likely they are to become complacent or foolhardy which can also quickly lead to a disaster.

Why wouldn't the BSAC incident reports show a high number of complacent or foolhardy experienced divers that wound up in a disaster?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom