What do you call this gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody read the IPAD book, Descent Into Darkness? It's an awesome book about Navy salvage divers at Pearl Harbor. True story, written by one of the divers.

Looking at pic the only thing that goes through my head is "desperate" :D

I know this is an old thread but I thought it was a good place for this old Navy training film I just found. It explains how Deep Sea Gear works:

The World of the Sea Deep Diving (1943)
https://archive.org/details/TheWorldOfTheSeaDeepDiving

What does "band" in band mask refer to?

What does "band" in band mask refer to?

The hood and face seal is held onto the fiberglass frame with a metal band, which incorporates pins that the rubber spider attaches to.

BandMask 18 | Kirby Morgan

KMB-18_Lg.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious. What phrase do recreational Scuba divers use to describe divers like this?

View attachment 134807

... underwater construction workers ... this has nothing to do with SCUBA or recreational diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Do you equalize this by pushing the lever above the regulator which moves a nose block against your nostrils?

Yes except it is a push rod rather than a lever. Most divers also have to push the mask up a bit to block nostrils. The face seal is very wide and soft so it can move a lot more than other FFMs without leaking.

... underwater construction workers ... this has nothing to do with SCUBA or recreational diving ...

Nothing? Somebody should explain that to these guys:

NEDEG - North East Diving Equipment Group Homepage

Back
Top Bottom