What do you look for in a dive watch??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike, does your Ironman watch say in the instructions not to push the buttons underwater?

I just bought a 100m resistant Timex Expedition and am worried it will take in water if I push any of the buttons. I was going to just take it back and go buy something else but if you have been successful with you Timex's then I'll just keep it. It was only $40 at Target and is a nice watch for the money.

Tomorrow I take the open water portion of my PADI OW certification. I wish I had learned to dive years ago. At least I didn't wait till I was old.

I've got a 100 meter timex something and it said to not push the buttons underwater. I forgot to hit the timer and hit it as I was descending. It was pretty shallow 20 ft or so, but soo far no fog on the inside.

Funny how they say that it's resistant to water to 100M, but that you're not supposed to dive with it. Kind of like saying it's water resistant to 100 M if you don't get it wet.

Hey all....

My question is it is not the band that I worry about failing it is the pins. Pins snap, straps hold, watch on bottom, strap on wrist...

I guess both would need to fail at the same time or without noticing one...

Thoughts on the anti-corrosive properties of pins???

My requirements are simple --

1) It can be bought with a single Andrew Jackson (that's $20 for those of you, like me, that have to look up who's on which bill)
2) Big-ass digital numbers
3) "Indiglo" or some other trademarked name for backlighting
4) Velcro strap so I can attach it to my BC easily.

If I lose it, who cares...what's $20 prorated over several dives?

Pin's do fail. With most bands if one pin fails you've lost your watch. With a velcro band (and apparently with the band ID mentioned) it takes a failure of both pins to lose your watch.

You can get my personal favorite, an Aqualite, from Wal-Mart for $10

Features:

Water resistant to 50m
Stopwatch
Clock
Alarm
Backlight (Indiglo(tm) knockoff)
Wal-mart replaces without batting an eye if you bring it in (the big backlight button broke off on mine, I think while practicing getting into my harness)

Before you go buy an expensive "watch", you might look at often-less-expensive bottom timers. They include profile information (including depth and whatnot), but aren't stylish enough to wear around the office. OMS and Beuchat make these, possibly others. These are in the $150 price range.

Jeff

Its good to see that you all shop at Wal-mart...........

I work there.........its good to see that you are all being taken care of......thanks for the business.......

:D

Do you guys have any idea how much $$$ you just saved me on my husband's birthday present???

i also own a citizen hyper aqualand and got if off ebay for i think $150 or so. i wouldn't want anything else except for maybe a suunto. this watch kicks ass!!! tells you everything you need to know except for RBT. i also use a genesis react console and together i'm all set. i haven't gotten the software for the genesis yet, but soon will. i check both watch and console to compare and of course take the most conservative measurement in mind.

selecting a dive watch only has to do with what information you want to get from it. if swinging the bezel around to start your dive will do then get your 10 dollar wallmart watch. that's perfect. but if you want water temp, max depth, current depth, dive time, and the such, then you'll have to get a better watch. to each their own. i wear my hyper everyday and taking it down for 5-6 dives this weekend. can't wait...enjoy all and dive safe.

later

Back
Top Bottom