What do you think about scuba swap meets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a scuba swap here in the Greater Toronto Area each spring and it seems to always be a great success, and it's also a social event and they have some presentations, like GUE Project Baseline wreck surveying, etc. I've bought regs and pressure gauges there in the past. They have bins of Jetfins and other fins for $5 - $10 a pair. There are tonnes of great deals on a wide variety of gear/accessories, but you've got to go early for the good stuff.

Thanks for the tip.

If you can't dive on any given day,
why not go look at gear and meet other divers?

Get a couple of friend to ride along.
We go to high end car and gun auctions like that,
making it a man-date.

Most of my gear has been purchased out of cardboard boxes
with handwritten signs for enticements.

Swap meets can lead to creation of "dive shows". (remember Houston?)

February 15, 2015, Tom's River High School.
New Jersey Scuba Flea Market:

Slight correction. It's at the south middle school, not the high school.
TOMS RIVER INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL SOUTH
1675 PINEWALD ROAD BEACHWOOD

The big difference between a flea market and a swap meet is who sells your old gear. At a flea market you have to buy a table and work at the event to sell your stuff. A swap meet is usually run by a shop or club and you bring your stuff to them to sell and they take a commission. That's a much better proposition for individuals with a few pieces of gear they're trying to sell that doesn't warrant buying a table and having to do the selling yourself. I tried to get a swap meet organized for my dive club several years ago. The amount of work and number of people needed turned out to be too much. Especially since we have the scuba flea market nearby.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Thank you
kwinter for explaining difference between a flea market and a swap meet, I was not aware, and I will surely be at NJ Scuba Flea Market for 3rd year in a row

Back
Top Bottom