What do you use for a backup bottom timer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you afrasid of something happening to your watch UW??.....

No, I was just wondering if another option would be better. It will tell you more info than a watch (depth, water temp, surface interval, etc.). Not necessary, but certainly useful.

Also, if you forget to check your watch at the start of the dive, it's not very useful.

You all must dive in warmer water than I do, not many "watches" have a band that will fit over my dry suit.

What about using a low cost computer that has "gauge mode", such as the Oceanic VEO 100? I've been wondering the same, and dedicated bottom timers are rather spendy.

Im a knuckle head, and turn the bezel on my cheap lil St Moritz Momentum when I get nervous. So when I'm underwater and my arms are crossed, I find myself turning the bezel. Luckily my buddy has the time, but I need to figure out a secondary as well.

My wife and I both use these as backups. It is an amazing watch.

Citizen JV0030-01E

JV0030-01E.jpg

My wife and I both use these as backups. It is an amazing watch.

Citizen JV0030-01E

JV0030-01E.jpg

eBay on that watch is $325 shipped. MSRP is $600.

Manufacturer's website.

The tech specs make this a killer daily wear watch ... this just hit my required gear list.

I don't use anything - if my computer died underwater I would rely on my buddy's until the dive is over. If both of our computers would die at the same time, I guess we would thumb the dive.

My primary computer is a Suunto Vyper. Got it when I first learned to dive. Great piece of kit. Now that I'm into tech diving I went and bought a Dive Rite Nitek Duo for backup. Same as the Vyper I can use it as a computer or put it in guage mode for tech diving. Both have user replaceable batteries as well. If I was not into tech my St. Moritz Momentum M1 watch would make a great backup timer. So far no issues. Decent watch for $80.00.

You all must dive in warmer water than I do, not many "watches" have a band that will fit over my dry suit.

What about using a low cost computer that has "gauge mode", such as the Oceanic VEO 100? I've been wondering the same, and dedicated bottom timers are rather spendy.

I looked into the VEO but decided to get the Nitek Duo. User replaceable batteries and I bought it with the DSS bungee mount from Dive-Rite Express I think.

Hollis DG03 computer + Casio G-Shock as a "backup" timer (AKA I'm too lazy to take it off before I start my dive unless I'm wearing a wetsuit and can't fit it on my arm).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom