What does DIR mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Deigning-It-Rhetorically"

the foundations of DIR are Gear, Gasses and Group

I like that.

DIR is a more than just the gear. the foundations of DIR are Gear, Gasses and Group

R..

Like that too... DIR goes way beyond gear itself. And please, visit the DIR subforum and no crowd will beat you to death. Above all, DIR divers like diving, talk about diving and would be pleased to help.

If someone asks me what I think of some gear, a particular procedure, gas blend and so, I believe I can give my opinion since I was asked to do that, and for me DIR philosofy works very well, which doesn't mean I disrespect other opinions, and doesn't mean that one has to follow my ideas, but as I respect others, I see no point in not respecting DIR as well. It is just one way to do it, ain't it so?

Also, take a look in GUE's site, there's a great deal about DIR there.

The only people who ever get "beat up" in the DIR forum are those who come in the door swinging ... and even those for the most part just get told to go play somewhere else.

Those who come in with questions and a reasonable attitude are always treated with respect.

You'll find some of the same people there (including folks like TSandM and myself) as you'll find out here.

Oh, but do beware of the crazy Canuck with the cat ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The only people who ever get "beat up" in the DIR forum are those who come in the door swinging ... and even those for the most part just get told to go play somewhere else.
That's not entirely true Bob. People get beat up all the time for things like suggesting a Jon line or up-line may be appropriate in some offshore situations (rather than relying on a multi-purpose spool), or that in certain deep, low viz conditions it might make sense to clip the SPG to the left shoulder d-ring - especially with stages where it produces no additional drag or entanglement hazard.

Since it was institutionalized in GUE, DIR has demanded so much conformity that it has little room for flexibility and adaptation to different environments. So unfortunately, while DIR may tolerate people asking questions about DIR, if you question their answers, their reasons that underly them or suggest that DIR may come up a bit short in certain specific applications or environments, that is usually construed as "coming in the door swinging".

The problem is not the average DIR diver but rather about 10% of them who seem to groove on the potetnial DIR offers for instant credibility and instant acceptance by a greater whole and consequently become somewhat fanatical, intolerant and unreasonable.

It was coined by a group of serious cave divers as a philosophy which suits THEIR particular type and style of diving.

The DIR phrase was in no way given birth to imply that rest of the diving world is "DIW", doing it wrong.
It should also be pointed out that the majority of seriosu cave divers are also not DIR although most gravitate around the same hogarthian configuration that DIR "borrowed".

And while the phrase may not have been intended to imply that the rest f the world was doing it wrong, DIR is not very tolerant in its views of the rest of the world. As Bob so eloquently states, you are likely to be invited to go play somewhere else if you do not buy the current version of DIR 110%.

That's not entirely true Bob. People get beat up all the time for things like suggesting a Jon line or up-line may be appropriate in some offshore situations (rather than relying on a multi-purpose spool), or that in certain deep, low viz conditions it might make sense to clip the SPG to the left shoulder d-ring - especially with stages where it produces no additional drag or entanglement hazard.

Since it was institutionalized in GUE, DIR has demanded so much conformity that it has little room for flexibility and adaptation to different environments. So unfortunately, while DIR may tolerate people asking questions about DIR, if you question their answers, their reasons that underly them or suggest that DIR may come up a bit short in certain specific applications or environments, that is usually construed as "coming in the door swinging".

The problem is not the average DIR diver but rather about 10% of them who seem to groove on the potetnial DIR offers for instant credibility and instant acceptance by a greater whole and consequently become somewhat fanatical, intolerant and unreasonable.

DA, with all due respect . . . The DIR forum was created as a place where people could come and ask questions about the DIR system, without getting beat up about WHY they were interested (as can and does happen in the open forums on just about any board). The rules of the forum specifically state that it is a place to get DIR answers. Uncle Pug, who I believe was instrumental in creating the forum in the first place, kicked out even DIR-related threads, if they weren't specifically questions about the system, and in his day, non-DIR answers of any sort were simply deleted.

If you come into a forum where the rules say the answers are to be DIR, and you propose a solution which is not accepted in the system, you are quite likely to annoy the people who still see the forum as being supposed to follow the rules.

The system is a highly standardized one, because standardization brings some significant strengths to any system. But it is neither completely rigid nor fossilized, as the people who teach it are actively engaged in exploration and research diving, and they change things when they see something better. But I have found, in the three and a half years I've been diving this way, that many of the things I have chafed against have eventually proven, in everyday diving, to have good reasons behind them.

I have never understood the people who want to argue passionately for doing something some other way, in the DIR forum. The people there have generally chosen the system because standardization doesn't irritate them and they like the benefits it brings. People who don't like the standardization are free to make any changes in any area, be it gear, mixes or procedures, and dive as they please. It's not DIR, though, and shouldn't be proposed as a solution in the DIR forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom