What does DIR mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thoughts on this thread. I don't know that I really ever got the concept of DIR myself. I just figured if I go diving, have a great dive and enjoy myself, and come back from it safely, I must be "Doing It Right".

Interesting thoughts on this thread. I don't know that I really ever got the concept of DIR myself. I just figured if I go diving, have a great dive and enjoy myself, and come back from it safely, I must be "Doing It Right".

ahhhhh....the bliss of ignorance. :wink:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

By the way Jeff, with the cost of ammo going sky high, that cat must be costing you a small fortune!

What I have observed is that if you question DIR outside of the DIR forum, you get a lively, spirited and inclusive debate.

If you question DIR in the DIR forum, you get a great deal of pushback. However, if you read the forum rules, they specifically state that the DIR forum is for learning about DIR, not debating its validity.

A place for everything, and everything in its place.

That's surprising.

I was never once berated in any of my GUE courses. Never once put down or made to feel small. I found my GUE instructors (three of them) to all be good natured, smart, talented, and fun instructors who really cared about our progress. They treated us as adults, were open about errors, but framed suggestions in a positive way to help us move forward. Nothing I experienced would make me ever think of 'diving fascism'.

I was at a popular inland diving site a few weeks ago and was witness to a GUE/DIR fundamentals course being taught. Everyone looked miserable being berated by the instructor. I have to say I had thought about it before but was put off by the little fascist running the course. Probably just the instructor, I know, but it all seemed a bit humourless to be frank.

That said, read the manual and found it interesting, genuinely thought provoking and not as rabid as you'd have thought.

DIR = Do It Ridiculous

Make everything complicated, use all sorts of complex procedures even for a pool dive and always carry a mega watt can light even in tropical waters at noon with double tanks and only a specific set of team members because everybody other than themselves is doing it wrong (DIW) for a 30 foot reef dive in a full dry suit in 80 degree water and everything they have on is ninja black and guru approved. When you see strokes doing these things you have correctly identified the rare species elitus strokum, subspecies ridculousosus, testonaroid. Known to frequent Florida caves where their striking black plumage and odd rituals are on fullest display but the species can be found anywhere at anytime.

N, (AGNSBCMOFDADGAD) ain't got no stink'n BC mask on forehead diver and don't give a damn

Similarly, I've always thought that if I go out for a sunday drive, push my car to its limits after having removed the airbags and seatbelts for "weight" issues, enjoy myself and arrive home safely, I must be "Doing It Right."

Stupid, argumentitive analogy, I know. But it serves the purpose. Safety isn't necessarily best measured by result (i.e. after the fact).

Thanks for a perfectly "lucid" account of what DIR is *not*. You've got to love those who pontificate on matters they know nothing about... Oh the joys of internet experts.

DIR = Do It Ridiculous

Make everything complicated, use all sorts of complex procedures even for a pool dive and always carry a mega watt can light even in tropical waters at noon with double tanks and only a specific set of team members because everybody other than themselves is doing it wrong (DIW) for a 30 foot reef dive in a full dry suit in 80 degree water and everything they have on is ninja black and guru approved. When you see strokes doing these things you have correctly identified the rare species elitus strokum, subspecies ridculousosus, testonaroid. Known to frequent Florida caves where their striking black plumage and odd rituals are on fullest display but the species can be found anywhere at anytime.

N, (AGNSBCMOFDADGAD) ain't got no stink'n BC mask on forehead diver and don't give a damn

Thanks for a perfectly "lucid" account of what DIR is *not*. You've got to love those who pontificate on matters they know nothing about... Oh the joys of internet experts.

Dude ... don't feed the troll. It only encourages him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh the joys of internet experts.

At least it gives you something to look at besides =IF(Decogas="EAN50",SUM(AE13:AE29)+(1+10/33)*SACD,IF(Decogas="Oxygen",SUM(AE13:AE29)+(1+10/33)*SACD,IF(Decogas="None",0,IF(bottomgas="select",0)))), for example
:dork2:

Back
Top Bottom