What does DIR mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And while the phrase may not have been intended to imply that the rest f the world was doing it wrong, DIR is not very tolerant in its views of the rest of the world. As Bob so eloquently states, you are likely to be invited to go play somewhere else if you do not buy the current version of DIR 110%.
But that hasn't been my experience at all.

I am not DIR. I dive solo. There are variations on my rig that are not part of what DIR specifies.

What I DON'T do is go into the DIR forum and start expounding on the virtues of doing those things. It's not the place for it ... that would be like someone going into the solo forum and telling people why solo diving isn't good for them.

I'm conversant in what DIR represents because I've taken some GUE classes and workshops, and I taught (as a NAUI instructor) at a GUE shop for about a year. But that doesn't make me DIR ... nor does it mean I buy into their philosophy even 100%. I take from it what I feel benefits the way I want to dive ... and leave claims of "being DIR" to those who find importance in such things.

I've met and dived with a few GUE instructors ... and without exception they've been some of the most competent and easy to get along with divers I've known.

What you describe mostly exists on the Internet ... in real life, there are very few intolerant DIR divers out there. Most are comfortable with what they do, and don't much care how other people dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have never understood the people who want to argue passionately for doing something some other way, in the DIR forum. .

It's a sport akin to poking a stick into a hornet's nest and shaking it vigourously before running... :)

Seriously though. Some people believe that a system that claims to have all the answers should have to answer to the fact that some cats can be skinned many ways. Some people don't understand the answers. Some people believe that the answers should be challenged and should hold their own in the light of scrutiny.

Perhaps unfortunately Scubaboard's DIR area is designed to keep the number of shoot-outs to a minimum, which isn't a bad idea given the history of the DIR vs. the world war... Instead of rational DIR discussoin, we've chosen for no discussion at all.... but this means you get the odd grenade in the DIR area.

R..

Seriously though. Some people believe that a system that claims to have all the answers should have to answer to the fact that some cats can be skinned many ways. Some people don't understand the answers. Some people believe that the answers should be challenged and should hold their own in the light of scrutiny.
and some people believe they know the DIR answer and then they disagree with it and argue against it....but they got it wrong in the first place.
(kinda like a unintentional strawman argument)

I see that one all the time too.

Last edited:
Some people believe that a system that claims to have all the answers should have to answer to the fact that some cats can be skinned many ways.

I don't believe that anybody ever claimed that the DIR system of diving was the only way you could dive -- or even, that it was the only useful or successful way you can dive in all circumstances. What is claimed is that the system WORKS in the vast majority of recreational diving settings, and has the benefit of being a single system that unites a lot of divers worldwide into a pretty seamless group. In some of the specifics of the system, there's no question that there are several possible approaches (best mix, for example) but a choice was made in setting the system up to do things in a certain way. There is always a good reason behind the choice, but in some cases, there are good reasons for doing it the other way as well. The people who designed the system made a choice. It is my opinion that it is ALWAYS a good choice, and often the best choice, but it is the choice that creates the standardization which is the root strength of the system.

That's not entirely true Bob. People get beat up all the time for things like suggesting a Jon line or up-line may be appropriate in some offshore situations (rather than relying on a multi-purpose spool), or that in certain deep, low viz conditions it might make sense to clip the SPG to the left shoulder d-ring - especially with stages where it produces no additional drag or entanglement hazard.

Since it was institutionalized in GUE, DIR has demanded so much conformity that it has little room for flexibility and adaptation to different environments. So unfortunately, while DIR may tolerate people asking questions about DIR, if you question their answers, their reasons that underly them or suggest that DIR may come up a bit short in certain specific applications or environments, that is usually construed as "coming in the door swinging".

The problem is not the average DIR diver but rather about 10% of them who seem to groove on the potetnial DIR offers for instant credibility and instant acceptance by a greater whole and consequently become somewhat fanatical, intolerant and unreasonable.

This does not match my personal experience with DIR divers or Scubaboard. What I have observed is that if you question DIR outside of the DIR forum, you get a lively, spirited and inclusive debate.

If you question DIR in the DIR forum, you get a great deal of pushback. However, if you read the forum rules, they specifically state that the DIR forum is for learning about DIR, not debating its validity.

So what I see is that there are some very vocal DIR folks. They are not fanatical about debating DIR, they are fanatical about keeping the DIR forum "on-topic." Those same people have a completely different attitude when discussing technical diving outside the DIR forum.

By way of example, I took a non-DIR course on diving Recreational Trimix, and discussed it in the Technical Diving forum. DIR folks participated and discussed the pros and cons constructively. There wasn't a single person saying I was Doing It Wrong.

Had I brought up the same course inside the DIR forum, things might have gotten ugly. I think we should be mindful of the fact that you can discuss DIR outside of the DIR forum, and probably ought to do so if you would like a balanced viewpoint with representation from both yeas and nays.

That's my exoerience so far, FWIW.

I was at a popular inland diving site a few weeks ago and was witness to a GUE/DIR fundamentals course being taught. Everyone looked miserable being berated by the instructor. I have to say I had thought about it before but was put off by the little fascist running the course. Probably just the instructor, I know, but it all seemed a bit humourless to be frank.

That said, read the manual and found it interesting, genuinely thought provoking and not as rabid as you'd have thought.

What is claimed is that the system WORKS in the vast majority of recreational diving settings, ...

I agree that many of the DIR virtures and practices work in recreational situations, some are just not as important.

I agree that many of the DIR virtures and practices work in recreational situations, some are just not as important.

That seems to be where a lot of the nits get picked - those little details that don't sound like they would make a difference in open water recreational diving. Do you really need a 7ft hose? Should I use zip ties or cave line or bungee? Does it really matter on a shallow reef dive?

A lot of these silly-sounding debates seems to stem from the differing notions of how important a role standardization should play, and whether opting for that route even when not absolutely critical makes a DIR practitioner an unthinking or ossified diver. It's a bit of an ironic argument IMO, because in my personal experience, the various DIR agencies and instructors have by far put the most emphasis on making students understand and think through problems and issues. In a way, the whole gear standardization seems to be a way to put the minor issues to bed in a way that works in the vast majority of cases, so that your brain is then freed up to concentrate on the things that really need your attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom