What does DIR mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doing it Right.

DIR is an acronym, as Jeff stated, that stands for "Doing It Right".

It was coined by a group of serious cave divers as a philosophy which suits THEIR particular type and style of diving.

The DIR phrase was in no way given birth to imply that rest of the diving world is "DIW", doing it wrong.

Some agree with their philosophy, some don't. Read more about it and come to your own conclusion.

Safe dives . . . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents ! ! !

the K

In the "tech" forum there is a DIR subforum.

DIR is an acronym for "Doing it Right" and the name sparks controversy because people assume if they dont meet DIR standards then they are in fact DIW (doing it wrong).

Though I simply associate that DIR, as far as gear is concerned, is just a new term for the system which William Hogarth Main started many years ago. In reality though DIR is more of a diving lifestyle system that is highly optimized to work in the widest variety of diving environments. Because of this DIR is much more than equipment, its physical conditioning, knowledge, structured team diving, and its above all a foundation for better diving.

That said, I am not a true dir diver nor do I have any dir training... yet...

apparently some people beat me to it but I was just going to post that link.

In the "tech" forum there is a DIR subforum.

Yeah. It's a good idea to pump up the pressure on your self-esteem before you venture in there though. It's an unusually unforgiving crowd.

DIR is a more than just the gear. The gear just gets an undue amount of attention. In fact, you might say that the foundations of DIR are Gear, Gasses and Group (philosophy, procedures, protocols, culture, jargon, habits....quirks...you name it)....

DIR divers would probably tell you that if you drop any one of those things then what you're doing is "something" but it's not DIR. You can't drop one part of a holistic system without breaking it.... At least not on discussion forums.

R..

Yeah. It's a good idea to pump up the pressure on your self-esteem before you venture in there though. It's an unusually unforgiving crowd.
R..

I would add that the crowd, for the most part, is quite helpful if you approach the sub forum in the right way. The forum is there to discuss the DIR approach to diving, not debate wether it is valid or not. If you ask questions honestly and don't come across as a troll you will get plenty of good response. You can even debate an issue if it seems you are genuinely trying to grasp a concept. I've had many good replies (even from Dan Volker himself) while maintaining my stance as a diver who wants to think for himself. Apparently thinking for oneself is not anti DIR (who knew?).

... and here I thought it stood for Diving the Internet Regularly ... :lam:

:eek:uttahere

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom