What else goes in HP port other than AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyscience

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
What else goes in the 2nd HP port if the 1st one has an AI transmitter?

And I assume the 4th LP is a backup since I'll just have primary, Octo & BC in the first three?

Am I missing anything?

Port plugs?

Nothing else, although a lot of AI users opt for a standard (hosed) analog pressure gauge as well, to serve as a backup.

Hello Johnny,

I run a transmitter and a SPG in the two HP ports I have available. Other uses don't immediately come to mind but I'm sure they exist.

LP ports can be scarce if you have a drysuit or a double bladder wing. Imagine you have two regs, a bcd, and a drysuit inflator hose or a double bladder wing which requires two hoses. Some people also use a spare LP port with a nozzle to inflate lift bags.

although a lot of AI users opt for a standard (hosed) analog pressure gauge as well, to serve as a backup.
+1. Electronics underwater :shakehead: ...I don't rely exclusively on my AI transmitter and have saved more than 1 dive from wiggy syncs.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Even if you don't need all the ports, having extra sometimes simplifies routing. One of my regs only has one HP port, but darned if it's not on the wrong side for what I wanted to do with it.

Ok I only plan on warm water reef diving, so a hose for drysuit doesn't apply.

I guess I'll have an extra port for each setting. A SPG could fill up the last HP port.

Are these port plugs a good idea for unused ports? Do they come with regulators or do you have to buy them separate? (my reg will be here tomorrow via Ups so I'm not sure what it comes with yet)

Are these port plugs a good idea for unused ports? Do they come with regulators or do you have to buy them separate? (my reg will be here tomorrow via Ups so I'm not sure what it comes with yet)
If you don't install a port plug in an unused LP or HP port...then your first stage will be leaking gas once it's pressurized. Plain and simple.

First stages that are bought new should come with port plugs for all of the LP and HP ports. For the customer's convenience, some online dive shops completely assemble the reg before shipping it out, which includes attaching the second stages (LP hose), SPG (HP hose), and BCD inflater hose to the first stage in addition to making sure that the first stage is properly tuned (IP in the appropriate range) and the cracking pressures on the secondary stages are reasonable. Brick-and-mortar dive shops offer this same service. If the dive shop does this for your new reg setup, make sure that the LP and HP port plugs are included with your completely assembled reg. You paid for them, so you should have them. I recommend adding the port plugs to your save-a-dive kit. You never know when they might be useful for you or a dive buddy. Moreover, they come in handy if you ever want to service your first stage on your own.

Enjoy your new reg setup...

Back
Top Bottom