what funny things have you seen kitting up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
I a rush, I bought this wetsuit from the local dive shop, dove it for a year and never realized it was a female suit. The suit was very tight in some places and very loose in others.........
sorry,
but did your bum look big in it :wink:

:wink:

I just got back Friday morning from 8 days in Cozumel diving with my wife and another couple. This was our 13th trip to Cozumel and the fifth using this same operator. Prior to the trip we had all our regs serviced and I had everyone come in for a pool session prior to the trip to get comfortable in the water.

Our first two days on the boat we were diving with one other person a man from Canada who had also been to Cozumel sevearl times and everything worked fine and we were having a good time.

The third day proved a little more interesting. A father and son got on and the owner of the dive operation and divemaster set up their gear as we were heading out. Just as were gearing up the father goes to put on his fins and breaks a fin strap. Of course he has no spare. The divemaster loans him his extra set. The boat captain then helps the father put his rig on and when he turns on his air the high pressure port begins spewing air. The father says he just had the gear serviced.

The divemaster quickly grabs a wrench and finds that there is no o-ring on the high pressure hose to the 1st stage. Luckily he has a spare. We're diving with low pressure 120's filled to 2800 which is a ton of air.

The dive plan is to do a wall beginning in the 100-120 foot range and then shallow up and finish on the top of the reef in about 35 feet. The divemaster says tell me when you get to 1200 and 700 and that because of the duration and depth we would be making safety stops at 20, 15 and 10 of two to five minutes each.Then the dive beings.

After an hour everyone still has over 1,000 psi. except the father and son who apparently were not listing. They're now down to 350. The divemaster had deployed his safety sausage when we reached the top of the reef and sends the two up to 15 feet to do their safety stop while the rest of us do our safety stops as planned at 20, 15 and 10.

Sometimes God just protects the stupid.

Jim
Louisiana

rubbachicken:
hi all
have any of you got funny stories of what muddles people get into kitting up for a dive

one of my irst dives in israel after i passed my open water, a guy from the kibbutz i was living on was a keen diver and arranged a trip down to eilat for a days diving, we got our tanks and were kitting up on the beach, he was telling me all these stories about he'd been there and seen that, been here and dived on that, basicly he'd been diving for over 20 years and was letting me know that he was an experienced diver

when we were kitting up he kind of kept an eye on me to make sure i was putting my gear together, but when it cme to him putting his kit together, he'd managed to put the BCD upside down on the tank, he'd noticed but only after he caught me giggling, an then he tried to put his wetsuit on inside out, don't know what went on with him that day, he was very quiet afterwards
anyone else seen things to make you laugh watching people kit up
:wink:

ShakaZulu:
I a rush, I bought this wetsuit from the local dive shop, dove it for a year and never realized it was a female suit. The suit was very tight in some places and very loose in others.........
Thanks, Shaka, this had me hooting out loud. Especially since wearing men's suits frequently leaves me with room in the crotch. :)

Some of you have heard some of my stories about "Ed the Diver", some have not. It is a loooong story, so I will share only tiny pieces.

Ed was shaky diver we met during AOW training in Pompano Beach.

Ed managed to jump in without a weightbelt once. Ed was wearing his BC with the cumberbund strapped on, but the shoulders not connected. Ed forgot to strap the tank to the BC. Ed did a G/S without any air in his BC, got his first stage tangled in the tag line, but he was floating so low in the water that he couldn't hear us yelling to him about the line.

Ed had a myriad of problems underwater, but these are just the problems he encountered while getting geared up (and that was the subject of this thread!)

I think the really critical thing to remember is that all of these problems that Ed had (and a ton more!) all occurred over the space of two dives on one day. Yes, I am serious. The full story on Ed the Diver is 3 pages in WORD.

Wristshot

So far,
My husband has forgotton his booties, and dove without them. Said his feet got cold!

My husband forgot his computer, but a friend had a spare set of gages, saving the day. He was rewarded with a six pack, which should cover a couple more trips.

And I absent mindedly tucked in the tail of my too long rental weight belt on my second dry suit dive. This, I think was responsible for me losing the belt in 25ft of water and practicing an emergency bouyant ascent! My husband retrieved the belt and another diver found the 10lb weight that came off first. We finished the dive. Don't try this at home. I now have a DUI harness that I love.

I'm sure we will do some more and I'm glad to hear we are not the only ones. And they do seem less frequent! :icon10:

As I pull my boots out of the fins after a dive, out pops the u-shaped plastic thingie that helps the fins retain their shape while in storage.

The fins just felt a little funny during the dive. :)

Wristshot:
Some of you have heard some of my stories about "Ed the Diver", some have not. It is a loooong story, so I will share only tiny pieces.

Ed was shaky diver we met during AOW training in Pompano Beach.

Ed managed to jump in without a weightbelt once. Ed was wearing his BC with the cumberbund strapped on, but the shoulders not connected. Ed forgot to strap the tank to the BC. Ed did a G/S without any air in his BC, got his first stage tangled in the tag line, but he was floating so low in the water that he couldn't hear us yelling to him about the line.

Ed had a myriad of problems underwater, but these are just the problems he encountered while getting geared up (and that was the subject of this thread!)

I think the really critical thing to remember is that all of these problems that Ed had (and a ton more!) all occurred over the space of two dives on one day. Yes, I am serious. The full story on Ed the Diver is 3 pages in WORD.

Wristshot

LOL - this is too funny!!! I think Ed needs his own forum. Wristshot have you ever thought about submiting these stories to a dive mag? I want to read more. Please???????

My partner decided to replace his seals in his drysuit. Next dive after replacing the seals, we were suiting up before we got on the boat, so he pulls his neck seal over his head and gives it a helluva jerk....seal comes down over his face and stops...then he can't get it any further down OR back off....neoprene seal is now severely restricting his ability to breathe, see or speak.... so he starts jumping around, waving his arms, looks like some kinda headless monster... ...of course nobody could understand what he was saying because he's got a mouth full of neoprene...and then by the time somebody figured out what was going on, we were laughing so hard we could hardly get him loose.

Same guy - used to hang his suit in the hallway of his house to dry out after a dive...got up in the middle of the night half asleep to tinkle, stepped out of his bedroom and in the dark bumped into the suit, arms wrapped around his head...he thought he was being attacked by burglar...wife flipped on the light he's wrestling this thing on the floor....wife claimed the suit was winning.

Before my first pool lesson, the instructor brought us rental wetsuits to try on for sizing. I took mine to the restroom and had a heck of a time. Unknowingly I shoved my leg into an arm sleeve. Imagine a fat old man rolling around the restroom floor trying to get his leg out of a very tight arm sleeve.

Another time, shortly after I began drysuit diving, I got distracted while kitting up. I ended up with only one of my weight pouches for my weight integrated bc. It was a shore dive and I worked to get down, suspecting my problem was inexperience with the drysuit. Well after a while I got so winded from trying to stay down I signaled to my buddy to ascend. When we got to the surface and discussed my problem, my buddy pointed out that I had only one pouch. He was patient enough for me to swim to shore get the weights and return to finish the dive.

Back
Top Bottom