what funny things have you seen kitting up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubbachicken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi all
have any of you got funny stories of what muddles people get into kitting up for a dive

one of my irst dives in israel after i passed my open water, a guy from the kibbutz i was living on was a keen diver and arranged a trip down to eilat for a days diving, we got our tanks and were kitting up on the beach, he was telling me all these stories about he'd been there and seen that, been here and dived on that, basicly he'd been diving for over 20 years and was letting me know that he was an experienced diver

when we were kitting up he kind of kept an eye on me to make sure i was putting my gear together, but when it cme to him putting his kit together, he'd managed to put the BCD upside down on the tank, he'd noticed but only after he caught me giggling, an then he tried to put his wetsuit on inside out, don't know what went on with him that day, he was very quiet afterwards
anyone else seen things to make you laugh watching people kit up
:wink:

On a dive this past July I observed a fellow diver put on his wet suit. It went on just fine right up to the point where he reached down to his crotch and zipped it up to his chin. Would have been fine, except he had the suit on backwards and the zipper belongs in the back.

There we were at Peacock... another team was going through their checks:

Primary light? Check!

First back up light? Check!

Second back up light? Check!

Wet breathe your regs... Uh crap, I forgot my mask!

Luckily I had just finished my dive and went and got his mask for him. :D

pasley:
Would have been fine, except he had the suit on backwards and the zipper belongs in the back.
Oh wow! I'd been wondering why my wetsuit had that big long string on the zipper pull. :banana:

Just before a Cozumel drift dive last November, a couple guys discovered that one of them had forgotten his fins. They did the dive with one fin each.

I always enjoy DMs that very politely point out problems by asking questions:

"Did you want to wear a mask on this dive"? (I was the guilty party)

"Are you diving without your weightbelt this time"? (I was the guilty party)

I saw someone make a giant stride off of the boat without fins. (Not me)

One time the DM skipped the question, and directly asked another DM to help with someone's regulator. They had forgotten to attach the first stage to the tank. (Not me)

Gearing up in a hurry is a great opportunity for task overload.

You beat me to it, except I was going to tell it in first person. Got my first wetsuit and was so tickeld to be able to get into the ocean to snorkel Labor Day weekend on the coast of Maine that before I knew it I was coming back up the beach from water and I noticed it. I was morftified especially since I had suited up in the parking loat and had walked past a slew of other folks, some of whom must have noticed the knee pads behind my legs and all. I was out of town so I just told muself I'll never see these folks again. I'm sitting here laughing about the whole gaffaw.

Pete

pasley:
On a dive this past July I observed a fellow diver put on his wet suit. It went on just fine right up to the point where he reached down to his crotch and zipped it up to his chin. Would have been fine, except he had the suit on backwards and the zipper belongs in the back.

spectrum:
You beat me to it, except I was going to tell it in first person. Got my first wetsuit and was so tickeld to be able to get into the ocean to snorkel Labor Day weekend on the coast of Maine that before I knew it I was coming back up the beach from water and I noticed it. I was morftified especially since I had suited up in the parking loat and had walked past a slew of other folks, some of whom must have noticed the knee pads behind my legs and all. I was out of town so I just told muself I'll never see these folks again. I'm sitting here laughing about the whole gaffaw.

Pete

That is hilarious!! I bet at least one person was pondering the scientific significance of the pads on the "back" of the knees. LOL

One of my problems so far, is... I catch it... try to correct it... then do it again. Whether it is my wetsuit backwards, putting weight belt together, you name it. 2 weeks ago in Key Largo, I spent the entire ride out to the site trying to put my weight belt together yelling "c r a p" every 3 minutes and laughing. Funny, I don't remember from class how to put it together (as this was the first time it wasn't done for me) but, I'll definately remember how to NOW!

I say "enjoy the noobyness as it won't last forever!!"

A few years back I had very long hair ( middle of my back +) and I had gotten my new wet suit a 1 piece back zip. Well i couldnt wait to try it on. So I don the bugger right in the dining room and zip'r right up and zip my pony tail straight up in the zipper. I lived alone at the time and had no help in that respect and I wasnt about to call 911. So out come the choppers and a few mirrors and off goes an 8 inch chunk of hair. No harm no foul. But it did take some doing to get the zipper down. By the time I was done I was sweating like a draft horse on a plow. Funny..I never did mention that to the guys I dove with.

As a buddy team we always do a visual buddy check over each other before we get in the water. The other day we were diving off my boat. There were 5 of us which is close to capacity. I was all set as was my buddy and we looked each other over. I dropped in and swam over to the anchor line before my buddy rolled off. I could see him getting ready, over he goes with his feet up in the air minus fins on. Needless to say we were all in stiches laughing. What we didn't realize is that on top of not having any fins, his zipper on his drysuit was open about an inch. We had a fresh water halocline on the surface that was MUCH colder than the saltwater. It didn't flood the suit, but he was pretty wet. Well we did the dive, but my buddy thumbed it after about a half an hour because he was cold.

Another time I forgot my weightbelt (8 lbs) until we were down at 65'. Our dive plan called for a max of 75' and about an hour. I knew that with this plan I would still end up with about a half tank of gas and still be negative. The dive went fine and just to see if I could do it I held a 1 minute stop at 5'. I still had a bit of air in my wing at the end.

Charlie99:
Just before a Cozumel drift dive last November, a couple guys discovered that one of them had forgotten his fins. They did the dive with one fin each.
hi there
if i had a prize to give, you guys would be getting it, the best i have done this far, {more than once} wading in for a shore dive, final thing for me before going under for me is putting my mask on, realising i have still got my sunnies on, trying to pull my mask on over them

finaddictfred:
A few years back I had very long hair ( middle of my back +) and I had gotten my new wet suit a 1 piece back zip. Well i couldnt wait to try it on. So I don the bugger right in the dining room and zip'r right up and zip my pony tail straight up in the zipper. I lived alone at the time and had no help in that respect and I wasnt about to call 911. So out come the choppers and a few mirrors and off goes an 8 inch chunk of hair. No harm no foul. But it did take some doing to get the zipper down. By the time I was done I was sweating like a draft horse on a plow. Funny..I never did mention that to the guys I dove with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom