What gauges do you check most often?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jibjab

Contributor
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is because I have very little experience diving and I'm trying to decide between an analog pressure guage w/ compass and a suunto wrist mounted vyper or just getting a suunto air integrated cobra w/ compass. the only reason i want the wrist mount is because its easier to check, however if i'm going to end up checking my pressure just as often it doesn't save me any time or hassle, it actually increases it because now i have to check my watch and my gauge in which case i'd be better off just having everything on a retractor on my chest.. so, will i likely find myself wanting to check my air as much or more often than my depth and bottom time? thanks!

ps. no not interested in forking over the bucks for wireless

I check these three frequently depth, pressure and timer

jbd:
I check these three frequently depth, pressure and timer
Good answer Bubba. Its not so helpful to prioritize which of the three basic data sets are most important. They all are important.

If your gauges are in a console, looking at depth is right next to the pressure gauge. If a computer is on your wrist, a quick wrist check tells time and depth. Either way, when checking one, check all three. Its a matter of seconds, but provides the data that keep you informed of your total UW status.

I check tank pressure most often but usually while I'm at it I check depth and time most of the time. Probably check depth and time 4 out of 5 times I check tank pressure.

I usually check depth more often...I usually know abotu how long it will be until I need to check my air (Not to sya I don't check it often also).

Scubagolf:
Hands down the pressure gauge, probably every two minutes during the typical dive.
I agree. Next is time at depth.

No need to spend the extra money on the AI computer. Get a good old fashioned SPG, you'll need it for backup anyway.

Since most of the dives I've done have had a hard bottom, I don't check depth too often, other than to see where I am, I'm sure it would depend on whether I saw nothing below me, or I was diving a wall, where I would be a bit more concerned...I glance at my tank pressure a lot, but I have it configured so I can just look down and there it is. I give it a good check (lift it to my face and actually READ the numbers as opposed to the needle position) probably about 3-4 times during the dive. I've been diving with steel 120's lately in order to use less lead since I've been diving with my 7mm, so air consumption isn't too much of an issue at the moment. (give me the same dives with an 80 and I'll be on it MORE!)

I check the timer occasionally, where I've been diving lately, on Eanx32, I know I won't be pushing the NDL's at those depths.

I'd say mostly depending on the situation...gas is first and foremost regardless!

Depth and time. Nowadays I'm getting better at realising roughly how much pressure I'm using through the dive. I have my pressure gauge clipped off and will check it every few minutes, at shorter intervals as I get lower on gas. Depth and time are on my wrist however so they're practically in my line of sight the whole dive.

Back
Top Bottom