What got you into diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was bored one Tuesday lunchtime... :D

Divin'Hoosier:
A midlife crisis. :D

I blame my pierced tongue and nose to my midlife crisis- and I hope it ain't a MID life one, either- otherwise I'd better get to diving since I don't have much time left!

Are you old enough to have had a mid life crisis?

TimAZ:
Back in '95 I stopped into the new LDS the day it opened out of simple curiosity. I wanted to see what kind of nut job opens a scuba shop on top of a mountain in the middle of a land locked state. Before I left, I was signed up for classes. Shortly after certification and a couple of trips, I ended up moving to south Florida where I lived for about a year and never dove once. Never really crossed what I use for a mind. Needless to say, when I moved back to Arizona I became an active diver again and now am a shiny new instructor thinking about buying that same shop on top of the mountain in the land locked state.

That's poetry.

Actually I keep trying to quit, my life is one story after another of being dragged back into diving, so this will have to be written in several installments.

The Start:

In 1956 my Dad (who was a archeologist) went to a talk at Columbia by a French archeologist who was discussing the history of various digs in the Fertile Crescent. It turns out most of the critical finds of one of the major expeditions had been loaded onto a barge (this is in the mid to late 1800s) to be transported down the river. At the point were the Tigris and Euphrates come together the barge had sunk, and that was that.

This suck in my Dad’s mind. He was big water kind of person (sailor, canoeist, oarsman, beach lifeguard, etc.) and I had actually learned to swim in the warm tide pools of Wrightsville Beach, NC before I was fully able to walk. Anyway, with the idea of going to Iraq to look for these sunken artifacts he bought two tanks, two double hose regulators, and one copy of a diving book which we read together (well … he read and I listened a lot) and we learned how to dive. I though that book was the Science of Skin and Scuba, (but we must have gotten that later, since it did not come out till 1959). So now I’m wondering the book was, I remember we also had a copy of Silent World around, which was published in 1954.

We never did get to Iraq, but we did a lot of diving on the east coast, lots of lakes in New York, up and down the New England Coast, North Carolina and Florida in the summers.

i was in the Cayman Islands ... had never been diving before, but tons of snorkeling as a kid in Cuba

so i went snorkeling, and it was like being like a little kid all over again ... so i figured, hey ... if snorkeling is good... diving .... has got ... to be better .... right?

took a resort course and just fell in love with moving amongst the reef while breathing

i couldn't stop talking about it. my wife said that there's been two times i have not been able to stop talking about an experience: the day i soloed on an airplane and the day i first went diving

came back, took a full course ... and it just keeps getting better

Let’s see… I was born in 1973 (no, I’m not afraid to reveal my age- considering how many old farts come to this board!!!!! :) ). Then, 29 years later, my husband and I, along with a group of our trucker friends, took one of the post-9-11 trip deals to Oahu, Hwaii, home of Justleesa, sea nmf, ch0ppersrule, catherine96821, Wildcard etc, etc…

My husband wanted to try diving- he wanted to take the full OW course in 3 days (we had 5 nights, 4 days in Oahu). I insisted that was too much and booked a Discover Scuba tour. He insisted that I go with- even though I was seriously opposed to trying it.

Our Discover Scuba was- to say the least- an insult to the wonders of scuba. My husband has asthma and our friend who did the Discover with us has diabetes- complete with a pump inserted in his abdomen. No medical releases. Little explanation. And some terrified, unprepared Discover scuba divers.

Dive two of our two dive tour resulted in my husband having a panic attack under water. The dive instructor handled the panic attack by adding more weight to my husband's belt to force him to stay down. Ummmm... looking back, I'm thinking CALL THE "expletive" DIVE and bring us all to the surface.

Despite the obvious assinine qualities of the dive shop (which I've mentioned elsewhere but REEF won't mention TREKKERS here), I fell in love with scuba.

My husband won't even talk about it.

He won't talk about snorkeling.

Which- as a backwards positive- is why I love this board. As a "solo" diver who won't dive solo, I've been able to find some fantastic dive buddies on this board- in Hawaii: Justleesa, sea nmf, and ch0ppers rule. At home, erparamedic, barracuda 2, eckybay, Reggae Joe, and Notsoken. And in Florida, cudachaser and Bill51 (I never did get to dive with Cbulla).

Had thought about taking scuba classes before a planned trip to Hawaii. Then some friends introduced me to a guy at a restaurant one night and I mentioned that I wanted to learn to dive. He had been certified the previous year and the next thing I knew I had books and equipment and was set up for classes with his instructor.

Got certified, went to Hawaii and of course I had to have a dive buddy - soooo he got a trip to Hawaii as well.

That was just the beginning.

Was heavy into sailing and a group of us were going to charter a boat in the BVI. We took a new guy into the crew and at one of the cruise meetings he started to talk about scuba. Me being me said OK I'll try that, so took course around here then did a giant stride into that crystal blue H2O down there and was hooked. Came to a quick realization that if I wanted to de able to dive down there and not kill things by accident, I would have to practice and since I live up here this is where I would n\have to practice. One thing led to another and here I am today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom