What got you into diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in '95 I stopped into the new LDS the day it opened out of simple curiosity. I wanted to see what kind of nut job opens a scuba shop on top of a mountain in the middle of a land locked state. Before I left, I was signed up for classes. Shortly after certification and a couple of trips, I ended up moving to south Florida where I lived for about a year and never dove once. Never really crossed what I use for a mind. Needless to say, when I moved back to Arizona I became an active diver again and now am a shiny new instructor thinking about buying that same shop on top of the mountain in the land locked state.

Wanted to since about forever for all the usual reasons Seat Hunt, Cousteau, documentatries, etc. I had started asking docs when I was 6 - 7 years old because I had ear problems as an infant, every doc says no go. When I was about 14 years old - Guy offered to train me then (no certs at that time) but had to get a doctors ok. Doc still says no go. Ask every doc I ever saw until about 16 years ago, finally one writes down a name and number. Says go see this ENT - he is a diving doc. Went saw him - he tests me and says doubtful whether I can dive or not - i am marginal. Only one way to find out is to try it - I just need to be more careful than most people.

So after approxiametely 22 - 25 years and equivalent number of doctors I finally get the ok to go ahead. Have never regretted it - just worked really hard at buoyancy control, go up and down really slow, and occasionaly I have to thumb a dive because the ears are little funky.

I am always looking for something I can do/share with my son who is 11. I work for myself so I can take off every school vacation and spend it with him. I figure he is only going to want to hang out with dad for a little while longer. I used to work at my desk when he took naps but now I have to wait till he goes to bed at night. I ran out of stuff to teach him that I already knew so I was looking for something we could both learn together and one day driving by a scuba shop the light hit me!!!! We got certified last fall and he was tops in the class on the exam. He was beside himself with pride that he "beat all the grown-ups". I'm hoping he is my dive-buddy for a long, long time. My wife/his mother has "zero-interest" so he and I have something just for us.

Speaking of Sea Hunt, is there any way anyone knows to get the re-runs of that show? I'd love to see them again and show my son what kind of stuff I used to use to fire my imagination. Flipper too!

Diving was never something I really thought much about, but it was something I'd always wanted to do. I just thought of it as too expensive to really bother with. Still, I had seen the red-and-white in front of my now-LDS, and every once in a while, I'd think how cool it would be to be a diver.

Well, you can guess the story, eh?

One day I finally got around to dropping by the shop. I pulled around back (the parking's behind the building), and I felt like I was intruding on a private club or something. I parked the car, and with no intention of buying anything, I walked into my local dive shop for the first time.

It was geek heaven for me. Regulators, dive computers, vest thingies, masks, snorkels, wetsuits, dive flags, spearfishing gear... the vast array of wonders filled my senses. I still remember thinking how nice the shop person was as they let me wander "just looking" through those hallowed halls. You know what comes next.

Yep, having seen the wonders and glory, the awesome powers and majesty of scuba gear right there before my very eyes... I thanked them, smiled, and left. Everything looked like such fun, but my innate sense of mathematics (i.e. glancing at a couple prices) said that it would indeed be really expensive. Adding into that the fact that I knew no divers and would probably only get to dive once in a blue moon, it just wouldn't be worth the time and effort.

Someday, I'd be a diver, but probably not for a long time.

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

Let us fast-forward a few years and pick the story up late last March, where we find me on a Tuesday evening, over at J.'s home (where I would meet her for dinner, House, and my freshly-baked bread every week). As J. and I are at the table having dinner with her mom and younger sister, she happens to say something about being in class next week. As we'd always meet for dinner (and House... and my bread) on Tuesday, naturally, I inquired about the class.

Turns out, her dad had signed her whole family (J., her two sisters, and their mom) up for a scuba class. I suppose you could say that hit me like a load of marshmallow-covered bricks. I was in one moment excited, terrified, elated, anxious, confused, and pretty much a quarter dictionary of other words, so I did what anyone would have.

"When does the class begin?" I asked.

"This Thursday," J. answered.

"Can I go, too?"

"Here."

And with that, I was handed the form. I had been thinking about diving for who knows how many years, and I'd always figured I would get around to it eventually, but I figured I'd have a bit more warning than *two* *days*. Well, actually, I suppose it was actually only about 45 hours, but then again, that's *plenty* of time, eh? As I finished filling out the forms, my eyes opened slightly wider when I got to the medical list and "you're probably going to die" disclaimer. (Well, that's how it looked to a landlubber, at least.) I handed the completed forms to J.'s dad, who already had a small stack from his family to drop off in the morning, and I asked the final question (which was more of a damage assessment than a feasibility study).

"How much have I just spent?"

Less than two days later, class commenced in earnest. I reveled in it. I suppose you could say that I'm one of those odd people who, given a chance, would learn *everything*, and diving was a brand new field into which to expand my studies. I finished the book Friday night, completed the workbook Sunday afternoon, and went to town on everything else after that. (I'd found the class notes of a college course when I got home Tuesday night, so that was done before I set foot in the dive shop the first night.)

Class was great, and I was very glad they'd signed up for the four-week style instead of the short course. It gave me time to learn more (and even write a dive table drill web app and put it up for J.'s family to practice with). By the time the checkout dives came around, I was confident in my skills, and I had as great a time as could be had in the ten-foot(-ish) viz we had in the Gulf. When the LDS opened on Monday, I bought a reg, BC, and tank.

I was a diver.

Since our certification trip, I had the great honor to dive with J. one more weekend, but that was all the time she had before moving to Japan (where she still remains for a still-indeterminate time). Of course, without J. around, I've had plenty of time to get in a *lot* of diving. I've made it all the way to NAUI MSD with Rescue, DAN O2, etc., and I seem to have incited J.'s older sister to become an adept diver (she's only waiting on the next NAUI MSD class to put hers equal to my training collection, and she takes the time and effort to be skilled, as well).

So, what got me into diving? Basically, just always wanting to do it, but finally getting around to it. Of course, the other thing I've always enjoyed doing is teaching (in whatever form it make manifest), so don't be surprised if I eventually end up as an instructor within the next couple years... especially if J.'s still off somewhere. We need more instructors who are strongly into fundamentals and da fun mentals (i.e. people who *like* quarries, lakes, and other "ugly water").

Anyway. You asked (and no, I suppose it *wasn't* what you expected after all). :D

It was my wife's idea to get certified. I live in a small lake resort town that has a small dive shop out of the instructors house. I had never been in & had no interest. I have always been a boater. Long story short the wife & I were going to Ouahu & she wanted to dive so we got certified in the lake. I caught the bug bad after that. I have even bought my 3 children ages 7, 4, & 3 thier own SAS gear to use in the pool or lake. I'm slowly working my way up to instructor.

MikeFerrara:
My Uncle baught a Marina that had a dive shop on it. He never oporated the dive shop but my cousins ended up with all the dive gear. They got certified and I started diving with them when I'd go down to visit. I did that on and off for a number of years but didn't really have the time or money to get certified when I was at home. I didn't really think there would be many diving oportunities locally and there weren't any caribbean trips in my near future either.

Eventually, I did get certified and then I took every class on the face of the planet, ended up teaching and owning a dive shop for a while. I'm back to diving just for fun and I'm still not overly impressed with the local diving. I sure would like to live where the diving is better. I just hate you Ca and Fl people. Needless to say, if I lived either place, I would not be sitting at the computer right now.
Hey Mike,
Don't let it get to you. So. Cal isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's only 89 degrees F. here today.

Captain12pak.... I am in San Diego today (87 deg) and in Detroit tomorrow (16 deg).

I think my body is going to go into shock!!!!

When I was little and flipper came on I would always see them put on the oval single window mask and the double I always thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then my parents put a pool in at our house and I started tryig to figure out every way possible to go under and breath. I tried to use a garden hose with one end laying on the side and of course that was pretty much impossible because you couldn't pull the air through the hose. So when I turned 18 and was working and had the money to do it I found a diveshop that was close and took he course. I got one of my buddies to take it with me and we dove together for awhile. Now I am engaged and my fiancee was a little hesitant but I talked her into trying it and she loved it in the pool so now I am hoping she will enjoy it this weekend when we go to the springs for her checkout dives. We are goig to lakecity florida so maybe we will have a good time.

Watched every episode of Sea Hunt. I would try to hold my breath longer than Mike Nelson. And, wanted to try it when I got the chance, so I took a Scuba class at college. That was back in the J valve days.

river_sand_bar:
Captain12pak.... I am in San Diego today (87 deg) and in Detroit tomorrow (16 deg).

I think my body is going to go into shock!!!!
Yeah, I think something is wrong when a short plane ride can result in a 71 degree drop in temperature.

Back
Top Bottom