What got you into diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over 10 years ago my wife and I went on our honeymoon to Cancun and Cozumel.

While we were there we did a resort couse and went on a few dives.
We absolutely loved it and planned on getting certified when we got home.

It was something we had always wanted to do and always talked about doing but for some reason it took us another 9 years before we finally took the leap.

Who knows why - maybe 3 kids and the stresses of life - but we never go around to it.

Finally one day after driving by Wileys Scuba Locker in Riverside, CA nearly every day for an eternity I stopped in and asked hey what does it take to get certified. I was surprised that it really doesn't take much, a few classes, a few dives and $199 and we were certified.

That was Feb 2006 so we have been certified for a year now and have done
about 40+ dives. We love it.

We have been trying to get a few friends to take the plunge and get certified too. It's surprising how scared people are of the idea.
All my friends and family are terrified of the idea of scuba diving.

If they only knew, how beautiful it is and how calm and relaxing it is.

I got into scuba when I was stationed in Oahu, HI. Everyone signed up for it... so did I. Saw those Jacque Cousteau documentaries as a kid, but didn't realize you can see that in real life!!

Guba:
For me, it wasn't what got me INTO diving, but what kept me OUT of it...namely kids, family (translate that to "wife") and career. I had interest in diving since I was a kid, but didn't get certified until MUCH later (translate THAT to "after the kids were nearly grown).

I had a similar situation. I've wanted to do this since I was a kid, but never felt like it was realistic for me to get involved. When I got to college, my future wife's friends were actually instructor assistants in a scuba course given at the campus rec building, so I thought for sure this was the moment I have been waiting for. But then, since my wife is a total landlubber, I passed it up thinking I would never really have a chance to got on a dive vacation, and that it would be a bummer to not be able to share it with my wife.

Well, 20 years and two kids later, I finally decided I had to do it, and that first dive when I found myself swimming along side a turtle in West Palm Beach told me not only did I do the right thing, but that I was a total nimrod for not doing it sooner!

Living within 100' of the ocean in Santa Cruz. I was the best surfer around until I stood up on the board. So in 62 when a NAUI class came to the Surf Shop I took it. Much better under than on top. :D

Gary D.

First was my Sat nights with Mike Nelson and his adventures. Then it was watching a couple guys spear more fish in a half hour than my dad and I caught after fishing all day at Indian River Inlet in Delaware - then as a sophomore in college, our asst water polo coach told us if we won state he'd teach and certify us - we did and he did!

what a long strange trip it's been since that first dive at Horsehoe Cove in Newport Beach, CA - I have loved the ride!!

When I was kid, one of my older brothers went through scuba training while in the Green Berets. So, when I got to undergrad, I was looking for a summer school course to fulfill a phys ed requirement, and there was this scuba course. We got five weeks of classroom and pool work before our certification trip to the Keys.

Then I got busy with more school and career and so forth and didn't dive again until last year. That's when my other brother, an fluid dynamics engineer at Duke who does some work for DAN, the military, and rebreather manufacturers talked me into a family dive outing. He had just become certified as had his two teenagers. So I took a refresher and starting diving again and now love it more than ever!

My dad took a resort course in Cozumel while on a cruise in 2002. I was a Junior in High School at the time. He came back, said my Christmas gift was a scuba class with him. I didnt know much about it at the time, but it sounded like fun. I loved it, but was under the impression the only place to dive was the ocean. Learned last year I was wrong, and some of the best diving is fresh water. Now I have all my own gear, and go diving whenever I can.

Back
Top Bottom