What got you into diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up wanting to be a Marine Biologist, and was certified at age 11. Switched my career path to engineering, but even more into diving than I ever was.

"TheHobster....

what a long strange trip it's been since that first dive at Horsehoe Cove in Newport Beach, CA - I have loved the ride!"

Since you like to be historically correct:

Where is Horsehoe Cove in New Port Beach California?

It is a name and location unknown to me and I would assume others in the OC Diving community.

sdm

Ok, there is more to my story... but sometimes I dont always tell it because people think its too weird... BUT, it is the truth.

within a year back in 2003, I went through some tuff times, got divorced, my Mom passed away and the kids were having a tuff time with the divorce and sorta siding with their mom. So to say the least, was a bit down.

Went to a Medium (physic) to talk to my Mom and see if I could get any insight into how to get life back on track. During the talk, the guys says I see a swimmer, like a scuba diver... "do you dive" I said nope and he says "your Mom thinks it would be a good idea" She says you've been thinking about it... which in honesty, I had, but never said a word to anyone. Then the guys says... "Hey, your Mom says you should do it with your son, he would love it" I swear, I had never thought about doing it with him either. So for Christmas a year ago, I got us both diving lessons and bought him his gear for a Christmas present..

And so, the way this worked out perfectly, we dove on this last Saturday together and had a BLAST... it was the best advice my Mom has ever given me.

Jacques Cousteau is the reason I got into diving. It just took me another 20 years from the time the diving bug hit.

Comrade Diver - FD

When I was a kid I wanted to be a frogman (yep, I watched Sea Hunt EVERY week). Uncle Sam thought I should be an armyman, and after that...well... life just got in the way.

My wife and I own a swimming pool corporation so I got to use that as a good excuse to finally get my certification. I can write off every penny that I spend on gear and training.

One day last December I called up my wife and told her I'd be home late. I was going by the dive shop. The rest is history. Now I'm a frogman!

drbill:
From one Doc to another, let me give you some advice. Such things generally don't happen in jolly old England. You have to come to California, Florida or dive the tropics as James did. Believe me, it does happen here... just not to me!

PS British women are quite nice when you get them into a 3mm shortie in the tropics. I've met several who were "to dive for" in my travels.

Trouble is in this country, by the time you have peeled off a drysuit, five layers of undersuit etc....the ardour has been dampened big style:D

My Uncle baught a Marina that had a dive shop on it. He never oporated the dive shop but my cousins ended up with all the dive gear. They got certified and I started diving with them when I'd go down to visit. I did that on and off for a number of years but didn't really have the time or money to get certified when I was at home. I didn't really think there would be many diving oportunities locally and there weren't any caribbean trips in my near future either.

Eventually, I did get certified and then I took every class on the face of the planet, ended up teaching and owning a dive shop for a while. I'm back to diving just for fun and I'm still not overly impressed with the local diving. I sure would like to live where the diving is better. I just hate you Ca and Fl people. Needless to say, if I lived either place, I would not be sitting at the computer right now.

I watched Mike Nelson every week and my Mom bought me a toy sub with frogmen to play in the tub with...I got alittle older and when we went to the beach (Lake Mich - about two miles from home) I received a mask and snorkel ( the snorkel curved at the top in the shape of an inverted J and had a ping pong ball to stop the water from coming in your snorkel. Then, I started watching the Cousteau series, but still wasn't diving. One day my wife said; "instead of always skiing out west, I'd like to go on a warm vacation once." I picked up Skin Diver magazine and started reading about places to go, 1981 we visited Grand Cayman. On GC at that time there were 3 hotels, 2 restaurants and jungle on the beach....I know it's hard to imagine. Anyway, we took a ride on a snorkeling tour....THAT'S IT! When I saw what I never imagined (the beauty the acts of nature, the colors) just snorkeling...I was hooked. I went home and got Certified. Now over 1000 dives latter, I think about it every day.

Jacque Cousteau, Sea Hunt and my Uncle Gene taking me snorkeling in the SoCal tide pools and telling me to stay there while him and his buddys would go J-valve diving.

I took my cert dives the spring of 81 and I figured becoming a DM/Inst would get me out of Missouri so right before high school graduation my dad offered me a union laborer card or Dive Inst. classes or my first year of college. Guess which one I took?

Thanks Pop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom