What happened to the Manatee trip thread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey it was good seeing all of you again just wish I new about it sooner so I could of dove with you all.

And I just wanted to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone. Thanks to Beck for coming up with the great idea, and giving us all a reason to get together! Seeing the manatees was definately an awesome experience.

I hope that we can all dive again soon! Thank you everyone for your kindness!

Whew...I'm tired. It was a long drive down and back, but it was well worth it. It was really great putting faces and real names with the screen names. The kind of people that participate in adventure sports are my kind of folks. My only regret is that there was just not enough time to spend with everyone.

Maybe we should do a longer trip next time.

Thanks to all the DIRs for the tips and pre-dive stuff. And the manatees....they just exceeded my expectations. Cool critters!

Hey, has anyone heard from Inter Alia? I don't think they showed up and they haven't posted anything yet.

Beck

divebomb:
Whew...I'm tired. It was a long drive down and back, but it was well worth it.
Beck

i'm glad to hear yall had a good time sir. i have a question about the drive. how long did it take to drive it from B'ham? i live right outside of B'ham.

thanks,
steve

"Hey, has anyone heard from Inter Alia?"

She told me they were there Friday morning, but had a schedule mixup and left early (before any of us arrived).

DivemasterSteve:
i'm glad to hear yall had a good time sir. i have a question about the drive. how long did it take to drive it from B'ham? i live right outside of B'ham.

thanks,
steve

Steve,

I got three maps from the internet. 2 said to go from Bham to Atlanta, down 75 and then cutover to Crystal. 1 said to go Bham/Mont/231/I10/19south etc.

We did a modified version of the Panama City route. It is shorter than going through Atlanta, but I think longer. Lot's of little towns that slow you up. Don't get me wrong. If you have the time it's kind of like a tour of old Florida.

But if you like to put some road underneath you, go the Atlanta route. We came home that way in 8:45. That included 2 gas stops and one drive through Wendy's stop. The short stretch of secondary roads in FL are 55. On the interstates, we did 70 - 80. Mostly 80.

We thought about flying next year just because I hate driving, but it really wasn't that bad.

Hope that gives you an idea. I hope you'll join us next year.

Beck

Inter_alia had gone to Orlando (old friends) the day before and met her husband and father in CR the following day. Having not articulated the importance of meeting the scubaboard crew, plans went awry and we had to leave early... But I got to play with manatees Friday morning (was anyone less than impressed with Bird's organization?) and it was a stellar experience.

As for the drive from Montgomery, I think it's wonderful. I've done the central Alabama to central Florida drive hundreds of times and you can cut lots of time by using I-75 south from I-10 (it's a really fast stretch through Gainesville) and cut off at Ocala on 44 but the 90-19-27 (or whatever the numbers are) highway portion from Tallahassee is really the most pleasurable way to make it. I-10 is the only place you really have to worry about state troopers and I was amazed at all the various unmarked vehicles (SUVs, Camaros?) they now have in place for speeding violations... in 1993 I was actually clocked by a plane. You know the signs that say "this interstate policed by air"? Yeah. Well. That was my last speeding ticket so I watch myself on I-10 but through 231 in Alabama you just have to use common sense rather than worry about this state having the resources to pull you over.

Anyway.

I'm glad you all had a great time and I expect I'll plan better next time. Don't stop inviting me, I've still got loads of time to spend on the roads for scuba.

Cheers!

thank you sir, it sure does help. hopefully we will be able to start joining in some of the get-togethers.

thanks,
steve

SeaJay and I have talked before about name tags or keeping our DSD flag with us so people recognize us and we all meet up but that doesn't seem to be a problem. It was really cool that once again those who had not met us before stopped us and said, "Aren't you SeaJay and Raven." Hahaha. Debbray even sprinted into the dive shop and said I knew that was you, I recognized Raven from her picture.

Walter, Victoria, you'll have to tell us how Paradise was. SeaJay and I discussed organizing a trip there for the group. We haven't been yet. Also, we talked about a Devil's Den/Blue Grotto trip. How many are interested in coming to SC or Georgia soon?

DD was expensive for what you get, and they had a hiss about my doubles. I doubt I'd go back there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom