What have you seen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't want one to either, their suction is so strong they take the skin off when you try to remove them!
Sorry - no. It does not happen like that. Remora's are mostly harmless.

Their "suction" is very mild. They come off very easily by pushing them forward. No marks. No damage. Not sure what would happen if you try to rip them off backwards. Don't do that!

I wear a shorty and my leg has served as a "host" to a remora on multiple occasions. They provide endless entertainment back at the boat ladder. Only downside to a mid-dive remora attachment is that you must now beat it back to the boat so that you can unleash the beast on the rest of the boat as they return low on air.

Good clean fun for the whole family. Lots of bubbles. Lots of frantic back peddling. Maybe this is why you should come back to the boat with more than 500 psi?

15" live Florida Horse Conch in St. Josephs Bay in 8-10' of water on FL panhandle. #2 may be a 6" Atlantic Deer Cowrie sitting on a deck at 80-100' off the Alabama coast.

Diving with a school of over 400 Pacific white sided dolphins on the north end of Vancouver Island many years ago. :D Bailed off the boat in mid channel and hung at around 30 feet. Dolphins everywhere for the duration of the dive :cool2: Unfortunately the charter boats discontinued the practice because most divers could not control their buoyancy and would bob up an down throughout the dive, ie; go from 30 feet down to 80 feet, realize what was happening, ascend back to 30 feet, back down to 50 feet etc. A heck of an experience with dolphins all around you.

Divegoose

Man that nuclear sub sounds AWESOME!

I've dove the Great Blue Hole in Belize, been cavern diving in Mexico, freedove with 50+ whale sharks, penetrated a 400' battleship in San Diego (California), seen an entire ecosystem of rare fish at 265 feet and still my #1 favorite dive is being surrounded by 28 manta rays here in Kona, Hawaii. Of course, there is nothing like seeing the faces of some of my students that make bubbles for their first time :wink:

[video=youtube;XPjgTxzEEoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPjgTxzEEoM[/video]

Swimming in circles with sand tiger sharks on the wreck of the Spur. Surprised while diving solo in 5 foot vis when a school of tuna surrounded me as they swam by.

---------- Post added January 12th, 2014 at 06:52 AM ----------

I got to see the nuclear submarine almost every day for 4 years, only it was from the inside.
I could be wrong but I don't think the US Navy has any NON nuclear submarines anymore. DFB

Worked on nuke subs for 20 years at Electric Boat. Been inside more tanks than most submariners I'm willing to bet! We sold all our non nukes subs to third world countries long ago.

I have done that manta night dive in Kona too. It felled very rehearsed. Not natural.

My best diving moment was my first whale shark sighting. It came up behind me during a safety stop causing my students eyes to get very big in his mask. I turned around and it's massive mouth with an eyeball at each end was just 2m away. I had no time to move and it literally swam into me, rubbing the length of it's body against me. It was a small one, just 7m (24ft). This was a Koh Doc Mai in Phuket, Thailand. 10 days later I saw my second one, 9m (30ft), as it circled above the King Cruser wreck.

I once saw an octopus fight a horn shark, and the octopus won! The octopus stuck it's tentacles though the sharks gills, suffocating him. This was in the Channel Islands, CA.

We started scooter diving this last year and it made a HUGE difference in the marine life that we get to see.

From Hatteras to the Keys we saw some amazing marine life. Goliath groupers, Sleeping Loggerheads, mammoth preggo nurse shark, bumblebee shrimp, sea horses, more sand tiger sharks than I care to think about and even got to save a greenie off LBTS with 4 of the 6 huge triple hooks stuck in her neck from a fishing lure. We pulled a 5.75" Megaladon tooth off the ocean bottom in NC and dove a blackwater 50' deep civil war site. Topping off the year by getting my Cavern certification completed and was able to dive 300' into Ginnie Springs, lead by our instructor Jim Wyatt. All in all, an amazing year for my dive buddies and I.

We had a big Atlantic Manta swoop in on us on the wreck of the Atlas and on that same wreck was several hundred female, birthing sand tiger sharks. On the second dive I scootered very slowly through them while towing another diver aka shark trolling bait. :D and we got video of it all.

[video=youtube;Wdv4A6Od0VA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdv4A6Od0VA[/video]

Scootering with Manatees was on the hit list last month.

[video=youtube;fHTjpNxEQjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHTjpNxEQjI[/video]

Back
Top Bottom