What I recently saw in Bonaire was shocking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe Bonaire doesn't attract as many inexperienced divers as some other places that are easier to get to, with cheaper flights, etc.? It takes some effort to dive Bonaire--not just to get there, but the whole shore diving thing that to inexperienced divers might seem intimidating. I long viewed Bonaire as a place for advanced divers with good skills and deeper pockets than I had. Of course, once I made my first trip there I realized that perception is totally wrong.

My LDS just when there from Canada with all newly certified divers!!

See, proves that other "myth" that cold water trained divers are best...those must have been who Ray saw...hahaha....I'm loving this thread.

Well Hell...I put my mask on my head, my full foot fins are split fins, and I only dive a snorkel with students.

But worse than all of that is the fact I have been to Bonaire three times and have never seen any topless nieces!

Reactions: RJP
It must be true. Someone took the time to post it on the Internet.

Reactions: RJP

Back when I held the view that Bonaire was a destination for advanced divers, I don't think I was even aware that dive shops organized trips.

Well that sucks!
I guess we'll have to drop standards another notch so we can have something to bitch about. :)

Nah... let's RAISE 'em! That'd render more current divers - and therefor their instructors - deficient and unsafe!

Last edited:
I spent a week diving all over the island back in December. During that week I saw hundreds of divers who...

1. Were not bouncing off the bottom
  2. Did not drag their regs and gauges across the reef
  3. Stayed with the buddy
  4. Monitored their gas supply
  5. Were able to put their gear together
  6. Generally seemed to be fairly skilled divers

From what I observed I can only conclude that these people must have received pretty effective instruction at some point in time.

Just thought that ScubaBoarders would find it interesting that this sort of thing goes on - in the real world - all the time.

:cool2:

But wait...of course all of the shop owners were completely clueless about what divers really needed and overcharged them for everything, right? And they didn't sell BPWs because they aren't profitable, right?

But wait...of course all of the shop owners were completely clueless about what divers really needed and overcharged them for everything, right? And they didn't sell BPWs because they aren't profitable, right?

And they were all wearing black condoms.

Back
Top Bottom