What if...? Lost Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

* What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?

This has happened to me, thankfully everything ended up fine. I know the rule I was taught was to look for someone for 1 minute, and then surface. When it happened to me it was a guided dive with 3 guides (10 other divers). In the pre-dive plan we were told you do not need to worry about anyone you came with, if they run low on air, one of the guides will take them back to the dock. The seperation happened on Dive #2 that day, and it was at the part of the dive we had carefully discussed because we knew my buddy was anxious about this part. She and I were sticking very close to each other (I could touch her at all times) and it was very scary for me to look to my right and she was no where to be seen. I must also mention that this separation happened at the same time as we ran into another group of divers and there was a lot of confusion.

Now the rule is, look for 1 minutes then surface. But, here's what I actually did: when we ran into the other group of divers (we were at the back of the group so I couldn't tell where my leader and group was), I paused and looked from side to side trying to determine which way my group went. I looked to my right and my buddy was gone. I had been looking over at her every few minutes, and we were less than a foot apart. So, how the heck did I lose her so fast? I kept looking around me seeing many other divers and 1 of them looked like they could have been her. That person looked really confused and was acting strange, and I couldn't tell where they were trying to go. I looked behind me again and saw the guide we had been planning with ahead of time. He was headed to the left, so I followed him and met up with the rest of the group. At that time the main guide has us surface. All 3 of our guides were there and 2 divers were gone, one being my friend. One of the guides went to find the other group to see if our 2 divers went with them. After waiting about 5 minutes on the surface a boat came by and said our 2 divers were at the dock. My buddy was fine and did not panic, but had lost buoyancy and surfaced.

BUT, what if she did panic, and was on the bottom? I do not know if I handled this right or wrong. It was different since the guides were suggesting they would take responsibility for divers if they had trouble or were low on air. But, I guess I'd like to think if we were on a dive on our own in a different environment I would have looked for 1 minute and then surfaced.

* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 3 divers and one buddy went left while the other went right?

My thoughts are that I would follow the diver that I was closest to, get their attention and direct us towards finding the 3rd diver.

* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 5 divers and, all of a sudden, you only counted 3 other divers in your field of view?

Hum...I am thinking I would get the attention of all 3 divers, somehow signal we were missing one, then look around us as a group (staying together) for one minute then surface. I wonder if it would be beneficial to have some type of tank banger for this type of situations too?

* What would you do if you're diving in two buddy pairs and you lost sight of the other buddy pair?

I've never thought of this situation. I would hope it would be something that we all as a group would have discussed before the dive, whether we would try to stay together as a large group. If we did want to stay together as a large group, I would assume the same rules apply, look for 1 minute and surface.

* What would you do if you got a leg cramp but your buddy didn't notice and left you behind?

This is where I'm guessing some type of tank banger would be beneficial. I would first try to get their attention with a tank banger (which looks like I will need to get now). I'm thinking the text book answer is: If they did not respond I would work out the cramp, assuming this is less than one minute I would swim out in the direction they went, look for the 1 minute then surface.

Now...what would I really see myself doing??? I would get the heck over my cramp, and try to kick with one leg to catch my buddy. If the pain got too bad before I got to them, I would quit trying to catch them, work out the cramp, then follow the rest of what I said in the paragraph above. I'm sure this sounds dumb, but I''m just being honest and could see me pushing myself if I was actually in the situation.

Now, I'd like to hear about another scenario:
What would you do if you lost your buddy, looked for one minute, then surfaced but you wait for a while and your buddy doesn't come up for a long time? How long would you wait on the surface for your buddy before doing something and what would you do?

Last edited:

What would you do if you lost your buddy, looked for one minute, then surfaced but you wait for a while and your buddy doesn't come up for a long time? How long would you wait on the surface for your buddy before doing something and what would you do?

That is the $100,000 question :) Hopefully some newer divers will tackle this one as well!

Last edited:
* What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?
Search for one minute, then ascend still looking out for bubbles on the way up.

* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 3 divers and one buddy went left while the other went right?
If I was diving with equally experienced divers I would catch up to my wife then search for one minute for the other, then ascend. If we were diving with a very inexperienced buddy I would probably grab them then search for my wife. Knowing that she is more likely to stay calm and follow procedures than someone new.

* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 5 divers and, all of a sudden, you only counted 3 other divers in your field of view?
If we had planned in the briefing that we were to stick together, I'd make everyone aware two buddies were missing, search for one minute then ascend. If we had discussed a split and everyone was happy to continue in their new teams, there's no problem.

* What would you do if you're diving in two buddy pairs and you lost sight of the other buddy pair?
Same as above, If we had arranged to stay together, one minute search then ascend (although this would mean we were a team of four, rather than two buddy pairs). If we had discussed beforehand and everyone is happy to continue after being split up, no problem.

* What would you do if you got a leg cramp but your buddy didn't notice and left you behind?
Try and sort out the cramp for one minute, then head up and hope to meet up on the surface.

This is one I have thought about but never really figured out. If I was diving with an instabuddy I would probably wait 5 mins then alert the boat the diver was missing. I would then follow their directions. Look closely for a bubble trail? I wouldn't go back to look without a new buddy.

If it was my wife or a close friend who was missing, I'd wait the 5 mins, then alert the boat. I would want them to carry out the diver recall. If she still didn't surface after that I would want to go back and search. If no one else would buddy with me I would probably go alone. I would have to assume she was entagled in something and couldn't free herself, or had suffered a medical issue.

I'd really like to hear the more experienced divers point of view on these. This is a great thread.

BUT, what if she did panic, and was on the bottom? I do not know if I handled this right or wrong. It was different since the guides were suggesting they would take responsibility for divers if they had trouble or were low on air. But, I guess I'd like to think if we were on a dive on our own in a different environment I would have looked for 1 minute and then surfaced.

One important thing you will learn as you dive more is to simply stop right where you are the minute you notice your partner missing. You would search around 360 degrees and if possible dont move from where you are too much. After 1 minute of no luck surface and if conditions are right (Though this appeared to be a congested dive) you can look around you and attempt to locate the bubbles. This is a surefire way to notice if your buddy is in some trouble and is still breathing of course. Say they got tangled in rope or old fish nets. It could be they got trapped in a wreck or anything. I always go to where the bubbles are and wait there for about 1 minute. If they are not moving I immediately begin the decent to see if their is an issue.

Most times though when people do the dive correctly they will surface and simply wait right where they are. If you ever find yourself being the first to surface do all your fellow divers a HUGE favor and stay right where you are unless there is a dangerous situation at hand. This is important because I have seen divers surface and swim to shore, get out and walk off to God knows where only to have their buddy surface and not be able to locate them. I have even been involved in a mass confusion to where the instructor had panicked because he could not locate the student even yelling up to shore with no response (This diver had went inside of a store). The instructor was less then happy when he had someone get out and go call 911 and discovered the student inside of the store.(Luckily though before that person did call they located the student.)

Lost Buddies

Well this is where advanced planning come into play. You should carry a noise maker with you and plan a distinctive sound pattern indicating issues too. Tell your divers as an example. "If you hear me tap 5 times then pause and 5 more times then there is a problem. Return to the surface and regroup just remember that If you hear 2 sets of 5 taps on my tank and cant see me or anyone else surface because their is an issue!"

Consider this scenario as well...you are shore diving and there is no one else around. You lose your buddy and go to the surface and wait for a while and then what? There is no boat.

You can get out of the water and call 911. You are safe but will this help your buddy in time? Do you go back down in case they are stuck somewhere? Do you end up endangering yourself? Would diving solo endanger yourself? Many questions to consider and many different variables.

It's a much easier question if you are on a dive charter and there are others around to help. Shore diving is where many of us do most of our diving and of course many others primarily do charter boat diving. Different scenarios different solutions perhaps?

Consider this scenario as well...you are shore diving and there is no one else around. You lose your buddy and go to the surface and wait for a while and then what? There is no boat.

You can get out of the water and call 911. You are safe but will this help your buddy in time? Do you go back down in case they are stuck somewhere? Do you end up endangering yourself? Would diving solo endanger yourself? Many questions to consider and many different variables.

It's a much easier question if you are on a dive charter and there are others around to help. Shore diving is where many of us do most of our diving and of course many others primarily do charter boat diving. Different scenarios different solutions perhaps?

This is true. Unfortunately unlike so many other activities in life diving is VERY time constraint. What would be a simple oh crap on dry land all the sudden can be a race against time in the water.

If you surface as I said the one thing you should immediately look for no questions ask is the bubbles from your buddy. Once you locate where he is then you can take the next course of action. This is usually only practical though in idea conditions. Large swells, low light or no light. So many variables do play into this its like asking what do you do when your spouse has a heart attack and your the only one there. Its kind of difficult though not impossible to administer CPR and talk on the phone to 911. either choice is going to take away valuable time so its playing devils advocate.

Different scenarios different solutions perhaps?

Agreed

Couple things for the new divers to consider in some of these scenarios ...

- Sometimes a diver loses buoyancy control, even just momentarily, and will be above you

- Bubbles are more reflective than most dive gear ... and in bad vis you can often hear them before you can see them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Can't really think of a reason why (as a recreational diver) I would want to be in a buddy team of 5.

Perhaps an example.....?

Keeping track of a a single buddy, or possibly 2, is generally enough for me.

One thing I'd like to see more discussion of ... particularly on the topic of buddy separation ...

Cave Diver:
(2) talk about how to avoid getting into that situation in the first place.

And for those who are diving in less than tropical conditions ... do you take a dive light with you on your dives, and if so, do you use it for buddy communication?

Some time ago I wrote an article specifically for newer divers addressing some of the issues of buddy separation ... you can find it here ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

One thing I'd like to see more discussion of ... particularly on the topic of buddy separation ...

We've had a few scenarios posted already where this occurred. How about dissecting them a bit and providing some insight on ways they could have handled it differently?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom