What if...? Lost Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't really think of a reason why (as a recreational diver) I would want to be in a buddy team of 5.

Perhaps an example.....?

Keeping track of a a single buddy, or possibly 2, is generally enough for me.

Sometimes it's fun to dive as a group ... particularly if you're all going to see something in particular. For example, one of our dive sites commonly has giant octopus momma's on eggs. Maybe only one or two people in the group knows where they are, and wants to lead everyone else down to show them.

The recommended procedure in that case is to designate "primary teams" ... in this case, a team of two and a team of three. How you deal with team separation depends on the group ... but it's something that should be clearly stated as part of your pre-dive briefing.

What we typically do is say that if you lose your buddy, abort the dive ... but if you and your buddy lose the other team, proceed with the dive. In most cases, we end up rejoining the other team at some point (since we're all following the same dive plan).

How you handle it really depends on the circumstances ... but the key thing is to talk about it beforehand, so that everybody knows what to expect ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We've had a few scenarios posted already where this occurred. How about dissecting them a bit and providing some insight on ways they could have handled it differently?

OK ... I've been holding back because I wanted to give the newer divers time to speak first ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?

Think back to our pre-dive discussion as to what we determined we would do if this were to happen. If we did not discuss this possibility or for some reason I could not recall it, I would check on my amount of remaining air. Assuming I had sufficient air, I would spend a few minutes turning 360 degrees looking straight ahead, above and below my current location to see if I could spot my buddy. If I was unsuccessful in spotting my buddy I would surface.

What could be done to prevent this:
In pre dive discussion, determine which role each person will have - leader or follower and the expectations of each. For example, how close a distance/gap; how often one should check that the other is "still there". Establish what each person is expected to do if we were to lose sight of one another.

Carry some type of underwater noise-making signalling device. (Realizing that simply carrying it wouldn't prevent it - but using it could possibly get the attention of a buddy who wasn't as close as they probably should be.)

Cheryl

(Before hitting post - I began to second guess :confused: my answer about spending a few minutes looking for buddy - thinking that perhaps I should simply surface (safely) as I would have no back up if something were to go wrong. Looking forward to seeing what experienced divers' advice is...)

You covered it pretty well, Cheryl. I also think you should spend no more than about a minute looking before beginning your ascent. In part, that's because if your buddy realizes that you've separated and began their ascent, you don't want them on the surface wondering where you are ... that makes for some stressful moments, and ignites the imagination in ways that are not pleasant.

If you happened to have been in the lead when the separation occurred, one thing you might want to consider doing is to "backtrack" along the route you just took ... your buddy might have spotted something interesting and stopped to look. Depending on available vis, it might only take a couple of fin kicks to move yourself beyond your ability to look back and see them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

* What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?

Look for him/her for one minute and then surface. We should meet again up there if he/she does the same thing.
What would you do if your buddy didn't surface?

* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 3 divers and one buddy went left while the other went right?

Pick the one I love the most :D

Try to catch up to one of them and get their attention, and point to where the other one went. We should both then try to find the other one. If we can't after a minute or two, then both of us should surface and hopefully the lost one will also show up after a minute.
Great answer (especially the "love the most" part ... :rofl3:

Another possible response would be to stay put and make some noises or flash a dive light in their direction to get their attention. It might get them both looking around in time to realize what is happening.

* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 5 divers and, all of a sudden, you only counted 3 other divers in your field of view?

Well, maybe the one furthest from me can see the other one. I'd try to figure out how to get everyone elses attention and point out that there's one missing. Nobody should be so far away that I can't swim over to them in a few kicks anyway.
This might work in clear water ... in darker water it's difficult to keep track of that many people. Consider my earlier answer about breaking up into two "primary" teams, and making some protocols for team separation as well as buddy separation. It makes keeping track of everyone much less stressful.

* What would you do if you're diving in two buddy pairs and you lost sight of the other buddy pair?

Well, that would depend on what we'd discussed before the dive. Either we could surface, or just continue the dive since nobody is alone. That might depend also on the experience of each team.
... like that ...

* What would you do if you got a leg cramp but your buddy didn't notice and left you behind?

Get the cramp out and then surface if I couldn't see my buddy any more. He/she should do the same if following the proper procedure.
Yup ...

OK, am I done answering questions now? Hopefully someone else will come along to join these threads. I'm trying to be a good little student here :wink:

... your instructor would be proud ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We use the look around for 5 mins. then surface rule.

Five minutes is an awfully long time to be swimming around underwater without a dive buddy ... particularly for a new diver, or someone with no source of redundant air.

Also consider that if your buddy surfaced, and is waiting for you to join them on the surface, it's likely to be the longest five minutes of their life (especially if your dive buddy is a loved one).

I would recommend following the one-minute rule that most agencies teach ... if you can't find your buddy within a minute, chances are you aren't going to find them in five.

Question ... if you were on the surface for five minutes and your buddy didn't surface ... what would you do?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

>What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?

I always review with my buddies (usually my wife, but sometimes new ones) pre-dive that if we become separated, search for one minute then ascend to the surface to reunite. That said, we shouldn't become separated because we need to be aware of where they are at all times. This was challenging for my wife and I at first because we often dive in SoCal where the visibility is often not very good and it's easy to get separated. We've worked on techniques and awareness skills, and when the viz isn't great, I often bring along an underwater light so I'm easier to see (she doesn't like carrying one).

Both of you need to be visible ... if she doesn't like carrying a light, consider getting one that mounts to her tank valve. That way she's easier to see too.

When you dive, do you typically dive lead-follow or side-by-side?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"Closeness" to my buddy has special place in my memory bank from OW dive number 2.

No, I didn't get too far away from my instructor or buddy, I was actually "too close" on two occasions. Took a slight kick to the head - not enough to dislodge mask (but at least I'd already practiced replacing and full-mask clearing so I knew what to do:D). In the other instance, my buddy avoided contact with me but wound up hitting an urchin.:(

Excellent point ... swimming close to your dive buddy is good ... but there's such a thing as too close. Remember to give your buddy enough room to maneuver.

If you're close enough to get kicked, that means you're interfering with your buddy's ability to move, and need to back off just a bit ... if your buddy's kicking you in the face, it ain't your buddy's fault ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Seem to be some good responses to this topic so far. Just reading through them has me realizing that it could be a good idea to carry a light and/or noisemaking device even when good viz is anticipated. Certainly couldn't hurt. Also, visibility will certainly come into play with some of these scenarios and how they are handled.

What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?

Before every dive we go over the plan of searching for one minute, then if you don't meet up start a safe ascent. I'm starting to think that incorporating some use of a noisemaking device at the moment of noticing a missing buddy could facilitate finding them, or at least getting an agreed upon response signal to surface and meet up there. I will say that most of my diving is done with my 16 year old son and I seem to play parent first, so I am constantly looking to keep track of his location and we usually don't stray more than a few feet away from each other even in the best of visibility - at least until our comfort level improves (mostly meaning my confidence of him in the water lol).

What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 3 divers and one buddy went left while the other went right?

In this situation, I like the idea of getting the attention of the nearest of your 2 buddies then rounding up the other together. If it ends up a situation where that 3rd buddy disappears in the process then it should be agreed upon in the pre-dive that 2 of us search together for one minute then safely ascend to meet on the surface. Again a situation where perhaps a noise signal could be used by the "middle man" to alert the other 2 to stop and look for their buddies before a separation takes place :idk:

What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 5 divers and, all of a sudden, you only counted 3 other divers in your field of view?

First of all to avoid this, I think I would have to avoid diving in a buddy team of 5 divers and separate into a pair and a group of 3. Just think that it's easier for a small group to keep track of each other. That being said, if I had to dive with a team of 5 I would have to first try to keep track of where everyone is to my proximity. Do I have 2 on my right & 2 on my left? Or 1 on my right & 3 on my left, etc? That way I could signal to the others to see if they can see the buddy I have lost sight of. If the 5th diver is missing, I think the plan would probably be for the remaining 4 to split in pairs and search for a pre-determined amount of time - probably longer than a minute, but no longer than a few minutes just in case there is a real emergency - then all meet up on the surface unless the group somehow all meet back up below and everything is OK.

What would you do if you're diving in two buddy pairs and you lost sight of the other buddy pair?

Again, I think this is similar to how I would handle diving with a team of 5 and would just split up into 2 pairs independently, rather than having 2 pairs keeping track of each other. Each pair would then handle the situation as if their buddy were missing, but if the other pair was around they would help with the one minute search. Perhaps, part of the plan in that situation would allow the intact pair to stay below searching a little longer while the diver with the missing buddy makes their ascent after one minute, however I'd like some opinions on that from the experienced divers because I also don't like the idea of that diver going off on his own either when he is with 2 others.

What would you do if you got a leg cramp but your buddy didn't notice and left you behind?

First, I think it would be a good idea to try to signal the buddy with noise if possible as soon as you realize they are proceeding without you. If that doesn't help I would do a 360° search for one minute while trying to relieve the cramp then proceed to the surface if the buddy isn't located.

To me, 2 of the most important things in diving are keeping track of your air and knowing your buddy's location. All of my dives have been with my son and/or my son-in-law, and not only do we almost constantly check on each other's location, but we also signal remaining air to each other every few minutes. One of the things I try to bring up in every pre-dive briefing is to not get so wrapped up in what you are doing or looking at to forget to check on your buddy's location and that everything is ok with them. I sure hope that with more experience and comfort in the water that we don't become complacent and forget that.

I decided I wouldn’t read anyone else’s responses as it might deter me from my original thought and action. So here are my answers, sorry for any same answers as someone else. Once my answers are posted I intend to read other answers and those given by the more experienced divers to see what I can change / prevent from my original thought. Btw, Thank you Cave Diver and BubbleTrouble for putting this together. I really appreciate that you are keeping us newbies thinking and learning.

* What would you do if you lost sight of your buddy underwater and couldn't find him/her?
I would look left, right, up, down, behind and do this once again. If I could not find my buddy I would follow the rules given by PADI to look for my buddy for 1 minute, signal that I am going to ascend, and begin a slow ascent at 30 feet per minute with a 3 minute safety stop at 15 feet. Hopefully my buddy will see me, ascend and we could meet at the surface, inflate Surface Marker, determine air supply and if we can continue the dive or whistle for dive boat.
If I don’t see my buddy follow while ascending and if my buddy did not surface I would inflate my surface signal and blow my whistle to call the boat. I will let the boat captain know I got separated from my buddy to keep an eye out for him/her. (even though that’s pretty obvious to the captain)
To prevent this I would discuss the buddy separation plan with my buddy pre-dive. Also, discuss how often we should look for each and to stay within arms length to 5 feet away from each other at all times in case of an emergency.

* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 3 divers and one buddy went left while the other went right?
Hopefully I have a tank banger on me, I would bang on my tank to get their attention, regroup, determine a direction, and leader.
To prevent this situation, all people in the group would discuss the dive plan, direction of travel and decide on a group leader and back up leader (in case leader gets tired or looses direction)

* What would you do if you're in a buddy team of 5 divers and, all of a sudden, you only counted 3 other divers in your field of view?
Get the attention of the divers or at least one diver and signal to them by pointing at each diver and signal each diver a number by counting on my fingers, when I get to number 5, I would signal “I don’t know” by shrugging my shoulders (can’t remember what the signal is for that atm). Then point to my mask signaling to look and the around sign??? Not really sure how I would handle this situation, but this is my initial thought. Hopefully some good words of advice are given for this one.
To prevent this situation, we would discuss what we should do pre-dive if one person or a pair of us gets separated. Perhaps there should be a buddy team of 3 and buddy team of 2. One buddy team would lead, the other would follow.

* What would you do if you're diving in two buddy pairs and you lost sight of the other buddy pair?
Get my buddies attention (tank banger), signal the number two, signal diver (by holding two fingers horizontal moving fingers up and down in opposite sequence), then signal look and signal around. Hopefully my buddy will know their direction. If not, hang out in this location for a minute or two while searching in each direction (Left, Right, Up, Down, and behind). If the pair is found, follow their direction and if we could catch up, get their attention and signal to the pair to stay together by holding 2 fingers out on each hand and then putting both finger pairs together to show we need to stay together.
If buddy pair is not found, I would assume we follow the 1 minute rule if you lost your buddy (as given in answer 1)
To prevent this we would discuss pre-dive the dive plan, direction and assign a pair to lead. The leading pair should also keep an eye on the following pair in case they stop or change course.

* What would you do if you got a leg cramp but your buddy didn't notice and left you behind?
Stop, keep eye on buddy, work out leg cramp by holding leg straight out and pulling the end of the fin towards my body, keep eye on buddy, relax and breath, work out the cramp and continue diving in my buddies direction. Catch up with buddy and get his attention, show him the signal for leg cramp and then show him the signal to stay together and look for out for each other.
If I could not keep up with my buddy I would probably try to follow at my own pace for a few minutes or until my leg cramps up again and work out the cramp. Hopefully my buddy will look for me and turn in my direction and assist me.
If my buddy doesn’t come to assist me or if there is no one else to assist me and the cramps persist I would have to end the dive, signal I will be ascending, ascend, safety stop, inflate SMB and blow whistle for the boat.
To prevent this, I would discuss with my buddy pre-dive that we should check each on each at least every 3-5 minutes. I’m not sure if we should be checking on each sooner than this or if this is too often. Also, discuss with buddy that we need to be at least arms length to 5 feet away from each at all times in case of emergency.

Lost Buddies

Revert to training, quick look for them and then up and report. This would, of course, have been agreed upon before diving. If they don't want to do it that way, so be it, and I won't expect anything else from them.

Assuming we had agreed to stay together (otherwise, it's not a buddy team), I'd try to alert both by noise and if unsuccessful, catch the closest and point out that the team is breaking up and indicate that maybe we ought to rejoin the other.

If I were actually to be in a 5-team (which would imply a real good reason and some very reliable people), we'd have dang sure settled this before hand. I presume that if it was worth being an actually buddy team, it's worth the three briefly hunting for the two and then heading up.

You mean two distinct, separate buddy pairs? Wish them well.

I can only assume he will follow agreed upon protocol, which would most likely have been the usual. So I'd deal with the cramp, try briefly to find him, and then surface, which is where I would expect to find him shortly.

Back
Top Bottom