What is a cattle boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I refer to cattle boats as crowded boats containing more than three divers that have no concept of good manners. The number of divers does not make a boat a cattle boat, but the number of divers per square foot does. The size of the dive deck and the conduct of the divers also factor in. Debbie and I have been on boats with over 20 divers that were equipped to handle that number and found them great. We have been on a boat with 10 divers that involved tight quarters and rude people- that was a cattle boat. It's not the skill level of the divers on board that we find a problem, it is the arrogant or ignorant ones who block aisles, crowd the dive deck, or are loud and profane. One last comment should be made about the use of the term. There is an element in the dive community who for some reason believe that anyone they don't know or who did not train at their shop is a lousy diver or incompetent newby. They use the term cattle boat at times to describe a boat on which anyone other than their own group is allowed to dive. I find that sad. Debbie and get along with pretty much everyone, even though we are self acknowledged scuba snobs. Go on some boat dives. If you had good experience, it wasn't a "cattle boat." If you had a bad experience, analyze why and avoid a repeat in the future.
DivemasterDennis

In Koh Tao I saw boats that had so many divers, I swear that it took them at least 45 minutes to get them all into the water. When you are on site all alone and a boat rocks up with 50+ novice divers, that's a cattle boat. How they do effective head-counts I have no idea.

It's not just numbers of divers on a boat. I tend to think of "cattle boat" experiences more in terms of "herding" than in terms of the capacity of the boat, and I've seen herding done on even small boats with one DM for six divers. But most people only equate the term to the carrying capacity of the boat rather than considering the "herding" factor. I've experienced Caribbean "cattle boat" diving with 10 to 15 divers per guide and a guide whose goal seems to be to reach a pre-determined end-point for the dive in the shortest time possible, and I agree that it's not pleasant to be herded around like that.

I get a lot of emails from North Americans telling me they don't want a "cattle boat" when they come to Thailand, that they want a small boat with few divers like a Mexico six-pack. The thing is that the Andaman Sea doesn't necessarily present the same benign conditions that are typical of the Caribbean. We get monsoon winds, our dive sites are at neighboring islands that we cross open ocean to reach, and we need big boats to make it safely through the sea conditions we sometimes encounter. Small boats may get swamped and cannot go out into the open ocean unless the water is pretty flat. Big boats are comfortable and safe in virtually all but tropical storm conditions. So since we've typically got 20 or 30 dive customers on one of our big boats, does that simple fact mean our boats mirror BoulderJohn's description of a cattle barge? I would argue that most of our boats are not like that at all.

First of all our diver groups tend to be about 4 divers per guide max--usually fewer and occasionally one or two more, but ideally no more than 4:1. It's not infrequent to see 12-15 dive staff on a daytrip boat at capacity with 30 dive customers. Next, we enter the water with our groups, nothing like cattle stampeding off a barge, and each dive leader conducts and manages the dive of his/her group independently of the other leaders and groups. Generally speaking, more experienced divers are dropped on the reef for a drift dive and students/inexperienced divers are dropped in a sheltered bay, so the notion that all divers are massed together regardless of expertise isn't generally the case here. During surface intervals, there's tons of space on our boats (which are typically two or three decks high) to spread out, get some sun, find a quiet corner to take a nap, sit in the shade, get a snack and chat with other divers, etc. I find myself feeling irritated on little boats with the sensation of being squished in a cramped space now that I'm so used to our spacious big boats. We always stay out on the water for two or three dives rather than making for a beach or going back to port between dives. Our big boats have galleys where great food is freshly prepared and served hot, buffet-style, to divers for lunch, fresh-water showers to rinse off under after getting out of gear, heads with standard commodes and sinks in them, compressors on board for filling tanks (we don't usually switch out tanks), under-seat storage to keep the dive deck clear, wetsuit hanging racks, and so on. I can't even imagine doing our two- and three-tank daytrips on one of the six-pack "sardine tins" that are so common in the Caribbean.

When you get into the water look around. If the scene is reminiscent of the filming of Thunderball, you just stepped off a cattle boat.

Guess I have been lucky. Only on 6 large group guided dives and lost the guide who was sailing on ahead on three of them. Did not loose my buddy though and we got back in time. (two of these were drift dives in so so viz). Individual or buddy guides can be great but I don't see the attraction of diving in a larger group and have to follow the leader and not having a say in when to stop and what to look at.

A couple of years ago I was on a boat in Hawai'i that had 24 divers on it. It was a big boat, and we were comfortably seated throughout the trip. Wed were divided into 3 groups. I don't know about the other two, but we were flat out told told that in my group, every diver had more dives than our divemaster, and he was an intern assigned to us for that reason. We had a great dive--never saw anyone from the other two groups.

I would not call that a cattle boat.

My two favorite boats in the world take between 20 and 24 divers. Put 23 skilled, trained and experienced divers on a boat with 20+ scooters, doubles, deco tanks and all the trimmings, and you don't have a cattle boat.

I think of "cattle boat" as implying both a big boat with a lot of people on it, and a fairly large amount of milling around and chaos.

The number one thing that is common to all cattle boats is... cattle. Stay away from typical cattle (large numbers of new, inexperienced, vacation, or rude divers) and you won't have a problem.

:d

If you watch the intro of "into the blue", that's a prime example of a cattle-boat.

I refer to cattle boats as crowded boats containing more than three divers that have no concept of good manners. The number of divers does not make a boat a cattle boat, but the number of divers per square foot does. The size of the dive deck and the conduct of the divers also factor in. We have been on a boat with 10 divers that involved tight quarters and rude people- that was a cattle boat. It's not the skill level of the divers on board that we find a problem, it is the arrogant or ignorant ones who block aisles, crowd the dive deck, or are loud and profane.
I agree totally. I set up my spot, well organized, and along comes someone who has a massive dive bag, moves my stuff out of the way and drapes his dry suit over my set-up, taking up 2-3 spots, yes inconsiderate/rude. I come back from my dive and now they are blocking the aisles, sitting in your spot with all their wet gears under the bench where your stuff used to be. Ok, rant over.

Back
Top Bottom