what is a good compact HID or LED light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just upgraded my backups to Chuck Noes' "Photon Torpedo's" They are 3-c cell lights. I got just the body's without bulbs and put MAL LED's in them. They rock. Very white light, long burn time and solid as a rock. Twice the wall thickness of others. Double O-ring seals. About $65.00 for the body and $56.00 for the bulbs. Well worth it.
Bill

Just to throw in my $.02... I recently bought the PT Shockwave LED and I absolutely love it! I took it on a recent trip to Cozumel and Florida... it worked beautifully! I used it on all of my dives as well as a couple night dives. Great penetration as I could throw light to the back of caverns & the bottom of crevices. Great primary light! A guy who was on my night dive was skeptical of the output of LED lights until we got in the water... he decided to order a few for his shop after that dive! Add to that the compact size, good price ($79 from Leisure Pro) and burn time... no brainer!

what about the uk light cannon 100 i havent heard anyone mention that light yet

For a primary the PT Shockwave LED is a great light. Very bright (did I mention it's VERY bright?). However it's a bit costly, anywhere from $150 to $200. Heck, for that price you may as well save another few hundred bucks and get a small wreck or cave light from Dive Rite.

A nice little backup light though, is the PT Impact XL. It's a 4AA LED light, about 50 hours burn time and is also nice and bright. Perfect as something to clip on your BC shoulder strap.

Just my 2 cents

Mike

ScubaMike14:
For a primary the PT Shockwave LED is a great light. Very bright (did I mention it's VERY bright?). However it's a bit costly, anywhere from $150 to $200. Heck, for that price you may as well save another few hundred bucks and get a small wreck or cave light from Dive Rite.

as stated above, i got mine for $79.99... although i think it may have gone up $10 since i bought it...

My son and I use PT Shockwave II LED and the impact XL. Love them both. Very tuff, very bright(rivals the canon and a nicer light), burns a long, long time. I paids $90 for my shockwaves.

M

Do most people agree that a 10w HID is too much? I will be buying one sometime soon and had intended to take it to Cozumel in July.

ScubaMike14:
I would definitely go with the Princeton Tec. I have several of their lights and am very pleased. They also come with a lifetime warranty that even covers flooding. They will usually replace a light if it fails (for free). Remember though, the LED will be no where near as bright as the HID. The LED is sort of a white/blue color that does not penetrate as far.

I've got 5-6 different Princeton Tec lights and have been very happy with them.

I've also had three of them fail/break. However, I've had no problems getting
them replaced under PrincetonTec's warranty. You just send them the old light
in the mail and a few weeks later they'll send you a new one. It's just kind
of a hassle is all, and you pay for shipping the light to them.

While it's good that I think their company stands behind their warranty and
replaces the lights, it would be even better if they didn't break.

thmoose51:
Do most people agree that a 10w HID is too much? I will be buying one sometime soon and had intended to take it to Cozumel in July.

Themoose,

The 10 watt HID is a great light, you can never have too much. What I can tell you is that if the color temperature is very close to the suns. If you are diving in clear water with very sunny conditions, a halogen will give you better results However, if you plan to use it for night diving, it is the best.

Thanks - Greg

The only 10W HID I have experience with is a Dive Rite. Great little light, very bright, almost a blue/white color. The only drawback is that mine is a fixed beam. A head that alllows you to focus is the way to go (at least in my opinion) and I will soon be spending a few buck to remedy that issue.

I have read good things about Manta, they may be worth checking out as well.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom