what is a good compact HID or LED light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep reading that the 10W HIDs are too much for clear tropical water night dives. Jokes about frying fish and fish whipping out their Raybans :)
I don't want to scare the fish away or blind fellow divers. I'm thinking about the Shockwave LED but the lumen seems so low (170) when compared to a Halogen. But the Halogen Shockwave only has 4 hours burn time on Alkalines and 1 on the rechargable.

How much light does a person really need for a night dive (no moon vs full moon) in the clear waters of the tropics? I want a night dive and not a daylight dive at night :)

scubamickey:
I keep reading that the 10W HIDs are too much for clear tropical water night dives. Jokes about frying fish and fish whipping out their Raybans :)
I don't want to scare the fish away or blind fellow divers. I'm thinking about the Shockwave LED but the lumen seems so low (170) when compared to a Halogen. But the Halogen Shockwave only has 4 hours burn time on Alkalines and 1 on the rechargable.

How much light does a person really need for a night dive (no moon vs full moon) in the clear waters of the tropics? I want a night dive and not a daylight dive at night :)

ScubaMickey,

I can understand your confusion and frustration.

For a night dive you want full moon, LED or HID and for a clear tropical dive you want halogen. HID and LED under dark conditions like a night dive give you a true perspective of what you are looking at, much different than halogen, it becomes "day light". Being a NE wreck dive myself in dark waters or when penetrating inside a wreck, for all intense purposes, a night dive, you want the HID/ LED.

This is the advantage of Green Force. Because you can interchange components, you will get 90 minutes on our 30 watt halogen standard head on a 4.5 amp our rechargeable battery. Recharge time is 2 hours. That is enough for two nice day dives. When it comes to the night dive, our LED Tri-Star will give you 35 equivalent watts, very close to the output of HID. On the 4.5 amp battery you are getting 4.5 hours, recharge is the same. The advantage here is two fold; you great a great, bright halogen for day and durable, efficient LED for night.

Feel free to contact me anytime with questions.

Greg

For less than $100 you can't go wrong with the PT Shockwave LED. It's output is 9W, it's a very bright little light, battery life is pretty good as it has a 2 way switch. I think it's 4 hours on high and 11 on low.

Greg's company makes a nice little light, but notice that he's the President of the company. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but he's certainly going to be biased when it comes to a light. I'd say at this point to go with the PT rather than spend $300+ for a Manta to find out it isn't what you want (to bright, to big, etc). The PT can always be a handy backup if you DO decide to get something brighter or bigger.

Mike

ScubaMike14:
For less than $100 you can't go wrong with the PT Shockwave LED. It's output is 9W, it's a very bright little light, battery life is pretty good as it has a 2 way switch. I think it's 4 hours on high and 11 on low.

Greg's company makes a nice little light, but notice that he's the President of the company. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but he's certainly going to be biased when it comes to a light. I'd say at this point to go with the PT rather than spend $300+ for a Manta to find out it isn't what you want (to bright, to big, etc). The PT can always be a handy backup if you DO decide to get something brighter or bigger.

Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike, I agree. I do like the GreenForce lights but it's not in price range and I don't really know what I want for the long term. I just need a light I can travel with and use on night dives. For this year it will be the Shockwave LED. I just wish they came in a lantern handle.

ScubaMike14:

Mike

Hey Mike,

I guess it's safe to say I'm a little biased :wink: The major advantage with Green Force is that you can't out grow it or it doesn't become obsolete. Our systems do cost more than the PT Shockwave , but over time it equals out.

Thanks - Greg

Greg:

Please don't get me wrong, you guys make great lights and KILLER reels. I just wish I had known about you when I bought all my Dive Rite stuff. The interchangable heads and cords are a great idea and make a ton of sense.

I'm sure once ScubaMickey get's a few night dives under his belt and perhaps get's into wreck or cave, that he will make the jump to one of your lights. The PT is just a nice light and you can't beat it for the price.

Now if you'd like to send me one of your lights to demo....I do manage a dive shop in Tampa, FL. :D

ScubaMike14:
Greg:

Please don't get me wrong, you guys make great lights and KILLER reels. I just wish I had known about you when I bought all my Dive Rite stuff. The interchangable heads and cords are a great idea and make a ton of sense.

I'm sure once ScubaMickey get's a few night dives under his belt and perhaps get's into wreck or cave, that he will make the jump to one of your lights. The PT is just a nice light and you can't beat it for the price.

Now if you'd like to send me one of your lights to demo....I do manage a dive shop in Tampa, FL. :D

That's why there's EBAY:wink:

Mike, I'm just teasin, I understand don't sweat it, I do appreciate your support. BTW...What shop are you with? Send me a PM if you want.

Thanks - Greg

Manta:
Look at the Diamond back up light from Green Force (www.mantaindustries.con) it's a 3 watt LED that is VERY bright and compact. It has a burn time of 6 hours and is $125.00

Thanks - Greg
I just bought one of these this weekend, and it is FANTASTIC. I just couldn't keep my hands off it in or out of the water the whole weekend.

Z...

Zeeman:
I just bought one of these this weekend, and it is FANTASTIC. I just couldn't keep my hands off it in or out of the water the whole weekend.

Z...

Hey Zeeman,

Glad you like:D Safe diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom