What is the best regulator for cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Thal. The Poseidon Cyclon 300 with the anti-freeze kit is amazing. You add your own "antifreeze," so a shot of Scotch is never too far away! :)

I've had excellent results with Apeks regs, but I'm sure many would fit the bill. The water temperature here is usually between 30 - 40 degrees F most of the time. I usually use an ATX-100 and a XTX-200.

Good luck with your choice.

Wayne

I've seen a lot of people here in the Puget Sound use the SP Mk17/A700 and SP Mk25/S600. The Mk25 isn't sealed though so he Mk17 is probably a better choice. But I use my HOG D1 Cold 1st and 2nd and have no problem.
I support any of those three

I agree with Thal. The Poseidon Cyclon 300 with the anti-freeze kit is amazing. You add your own "antifreeze," so a shot of Scotch is never too far away! :)

I've had excellent results with Apeks regs, but I'm sure many would fit the bill. The water temperature here is usually between 30 - 40 degrees F most of the time. I usually use an ATX-100 and a XTX-200.

Good luck with your choice.

Wayne
I always use Screech and drink it in the spring.

I generally use Poseidon Jetstreams in very cold water - the coldest I have dived is 28f. I find these regulators utterly dependable. The Cyclone I've never used, but I have the X-stream and I don't like it. I've had terrible experiences with the Scubapro Mk25/S600. I have also used an Abyss MR22 in very cold water without mishap I use a Titan in warm water and am very impressed with it, but I have no idea how it would cope with cold water..

Anything other than Apeks will kill you... :wink:

As you can see by the above posts there are lots of great cold water regs. Make sure you know what sorts of temps you'll actually be diving in. Some folks classify anything less than 70F as cold water (and therefore parts of Mexico - which I find ridiculous) but I call my waters cold water (~50F) and then read about some Quebec divers routinely in 35F. :shocked2:

Look for environmentally sealed, a good track record of cold performance, ease of service in your area. A diver adjustable knob (venturi assist, breather booster, whatever) on the second stage - to help reduce chance of free flow - is probably a good idea, but I'm not a tech and I could be way off base with that one. There are many good regs, new and old, that fill the bill for a decent price.

VI

If you are diving in the Great Lakes it is easy to find temperatures lower than 40 degrees. Many regs can handle mid to low fourties but a lot fewer regs seem to be able to handle 35 degrees.

What about Atomic M1? I have several dives to upper 30's and low 40's with now issues.

I have had my sherwoods down to 34F on many occasions. Never once have any of the stages freeflowed. Sherwood has used the same design for many years, making only cosmetic changes on the most part. By design, they are enviro sealed in their own unique way. Service is readily available and relatively cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom