What kind of diver are you?

Pick the one or more that best fits your diving. Full description in First Post.

• Recreational Diver

Votes: 191 60.1%
  • Rec-tech Diver

Votes: 67 21.1%
  • Minimalist/Vintage Dive

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Technical Diver

Votes: 40 12.6%
  • Public Safety Diver

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • Recreational Dive Master/Guide

Votes: 30 9.4%
  • Professional Recreational Dive Instructor

Votes: 25 7.9%
  • Technical Dive Instructor

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Professional Dive Instructor

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • Commercial Professional Diver

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Military Diver

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avid Technical Diver: I dive frequently and gear is technical/DIR/GUE compliant. I routinely/frequently dive in technical situations/locations. (Caves/wrecks/decompression/mixed gas/rebreathers, ect.)

Do about 100 dives a year, mostly in wreck/overhead environment.

But also do my fair share of "pretty fishy" dives as well, and spend some time doing recreational DM type stuff too.

:D

Professional Diver: I dive as part of my job, but not as an instructor or guide. I am paid to shoot photos/videos, demonstrate gear, hunt for treasure/historical artifacts or for science/research.
Science divers are not "professional divers" we are students, staff and faculty who perform underwater research tasks under the auspices of an institution, but we receive no pay differential for diving.

I fit the Avid Recreational Diver tag now. Have 50 dives in since feb when i got certified. I love diving and everything to do with it. Most of my dives lately have been wreck dives and I am starting to think that wrecks are where its at until lobster season picks back up.

Take out the instructor's category (I'm still learning) and I'm all the above. I just love diving and get paid to dive sometimes is a plus. And the money I make diving, I can blow on more diving. Life is good.

I am a tec-reational diver. I am trained for it, I am geared for it, I just don't actually go below 100 feet much.

I would be between technical and avid technical diver, I dive frenquently in technical situations, specially wrecks, but would like to do it more if I had more time. All my equipment follows DIR config.

Im an active recreational diver averaging 25-30 dives a year, in anything from freezing to tropical water, but If I had the chance Id go into category 4 and 5 pretty quickly.
The logistics aspect is screwing me over atm, since I have a 2 hr drive to the nearest reliably available compressor/LDS :(

By the definition given above, I fall in the rec-tech diver category. I do purely recreational dives but I have a tech set-up and I do what I can to follow a DIR philosophy....but I dive within recreational dive limits (for now - I'm sure it will evolve as I become more experienced and further my training) and I do it cause it's fun!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom