What kind of sewing machine for webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Sailrite Ultrafeed a while back. I can sew through webbing like butter with it. Very solid machine.
+10 on this. We bought one back when we had our sailboat and we are glad that we did. The basic one starts at 599 and goes up from there. But it is bulletproof. Sailrite

An old Singer might be able to do the job, of course with the right needle and thread. I keep my Mom's around for stuff my fancy new machines reject. I'm talking the old-fashioned looking curvy black metal ones that would also serve well as a boat anchor. I occasionally see them offered on my local freecycle group. Don't know if that is an option in Guam (freecycle or antique Singers.)

An old Singer might be able to do the job, of course with the right needle and thread. I keep my Mom's around for stuff my fancy new machines reject. I'm talking the old-fashioned looking curvy black metal ones that would also serve well as a boat anchor. I occasionally see them offered on my local freecycle group. Don't know if that is an option in Guam (freecycle or antique Singers.)
Have you tried heavy thread with your old Singer, like the V92 referred to above? I got a '50s era metal-gear Singer, 501 model maybe, and while it's definitely worlds stronger than the later plastic-geared models, it suffers from thread size limitation. I've used it successfully with superbraid fishing line (like SpyderWire), but that stuff is very limp and hard to work with.

I'd like to move up to thread gauges like the V42 or the carpet and button threads, so I'm curious to know if those old Singer boat anchors will handle it.

Definitely don't discount some older used machines. I have family that builds boats (for military use). They have some old black curvy Singers that have been doing canvas and cushions for many years reliably, not sure of the model, but on the heavier duty side for sure, definitely would not use them as an anchor :) They run V92 no problem.

I use V92 for most heavier stuff and stack it if strength is a concern. If heavy UV then I like Coats Profilin or Tenera. All three feed nicely on my setup.
It is very liberating to own a machine in this class, sort of like your own Nitrox blending compressor setup. And, you will find more reasons than diving to put that sewing machine to good use.

Also, ZigZag is not mandatory for most stuff. So, you can save a bit of greenbacks there if needed.

Last edited:
Looking only to do small things like attaching quick-release buckles, rings, etc.

I've been using the gliders and they're good for some things I've done but work for a few other things I want to try.

This is the sort of stuff I'd like to be able to do.

View attachment 200889 View attachment 200890 View attachment 200891

If this is just for your personal use and you do not care too much how it looks the pop rivet is going to be cheaper, faster and easier to use. It will also work better then sewing and last longer. A good pop rivet gun will go for about $20 at Home Depot or Lowes and a couple of bucks for the rivets themselves, your cost should be under $25.

IMG_2803.jpgIMG_2804.jpgIMG_2805.jpg

If you are concerned about the appearance you could use a more substantial rivet like they use for commercial diving harnesses. I do not know what the cost is but it should also be very cheap.

IMG_1505.jpgIMG_2365.jpgIMG_2364.jpg

Last edited:
If this is just for your personal use and you do not care too much how it looks the pop rivet is going to be cheaper, faster and easier to use. It will also work better then sewing and last longer. A good pop rivet gun will go for about $20 at Home Depot or Lowes and a couple of bucks for the rivets themselves, your cost should be under $25.

View attachment 201085View attachment 201086View attachment 201087

If you are concerned about the appearance you could use a more substantial rivet like they use for commercial diving harnesses. I do not know what the cost is but it should also be very cheap.

View attachment 201091View attachment 201092View attachment 201093

Not bad... Did you do all of those yourself?
So those are just your standard pop rivets?
Any idea if there is such a thing as stainless steel pop rivets? Or would the aluminum ones be ok in water with a high salinity?
I've heard more than a few people where I live say this is the first place they've been to where they have seen aluminum rust. I know that's more or less a chemical impossibility, but aluminum definitely takes a beating here.

Not bad... Did you do all of those yourself?
So those are just your standard pop rivets?
Any idea if there is such a thing as stainless steel pop rivets? Or would the aluminum ones be ok in water with a high salinity?
I've heard more than a few people where I live say this is the first place they've been to where they have seen aluminum rust. I know that's more or less a chemical impossibility, but aluminum definitely takes a beating here.

The top 3 pics are the standby harness I made from pop rivets and the bottom 3 are commercially made harnesses that use SS rivets. The 1st of the bottom 3 is a bailout harness and the other 2 are a bell harness. I have not had a problem with the aluminum rivets corroding but they are easy enough to replace if that is going to be a problem in your area.

You can find ss anywhere. Curious if your using some washers to keep the rivots from pulling through. Thinking about trying this out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom