What kind of sewing machine for webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are SS rivets something you can get anywhere or do you go through a Marine supply place or something?

You should be able to find them in any good hardware or marine store. These are not pop rivets they are the type you put in place and widen the narrow end with a punch or an awl. There are SS washers on both sides to prevent them from pulling through. You do not need to cut into the webbing to use either type of rivet. It would be preferable to just open a hole with an awl, punch or marlin spike then put the rivet through before the hole closes up on you. Here is a better pic of the SS rivets.

IMG_2806.jpg

It sure is prettier than my sewing with an awl.

Any idea what the common name for those type of rivets is?

I do not think there is a more common name other then rivet. There may be different classifications of rivet like the types used to put steel I beams together but I have no idea what they are. When I have used these in the past we just put them through the webbing with a washer on each side and used a punch and hammer to widen the narrow end of the rivet but when this type of harness is being manufactured a hydraulic press is used to widen the rivet giving it a more precise, uniformed and consistent finish. This is done only because these types of harnesses need to be certified for use by commercial diving organizations and navies worldwide. The hydraulic press used probably cost more then the sewing machine I was trying to save you money on. From a purely functional point of view a pop rivet is probably all you need. Using SS rivets and washers will give you a better quality product and appearance at little or no additional cost.

PS: Also consider how well the thread will hold up in the water you will be diving. Commercial harnesses use rivets because they hold up much better then thread in harsher environments.

Last edited:
Someone where I live is selling a 1995 Sailrite Yachtsman for $300.
I asked which model and that's all they said it was... doesn't include much with it.

sewing machine.jpg

Not sure I'd be doing enough sewing to really justify spending $300 on a machine though. At this point the rivet idea will probably get me where I need to be.

Use Nylon " FF " Thread.... But Nylon " E " will do... E thread will sew in a normal size sewing machine... The double F thread is only going to work in a heavy duty machine like a JUKI or ALDER or SINGER.... I'm a master parachute rigger and have a room full of sewing machines... For a scuba harness, There is no need to sew it more than a "FF" thread.... It's the stitch pattern that you need to do right... 8 to 10 stitches per inch and a crossed box with a double stitch on the loading side.... Or if you're good at sewing... The W-W box stitch is even stronger , But takes more skill to get it right...

Jim....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom