What kind of sharks have you seen?

What kind of sharks have you seen up close!

• NURSE

Votes: 136 74.7%
  • WHITE-TIPPED REEF, SILVERTIP REEF, GREY REEF, BLACK TIPPED REEF

Votes: 129 70.9%
  • SANDBAR SHARK/GREY NURSE/SNAGGLE TOOTH

Votes: 43 23.6%
  • LEMON SHARK

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • BULL SHARK / ZAMBEZI

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • TIGER SHARKS

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • OCEANIC WHITETIP, GREAT WHITE

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • MAKO

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • BLUE SHARKS

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • MEGAMOUTH,GOBLIN,HAMMERHEAD,THRESHER,WHALE,BASKING

Votes: 48 26.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Horn shark. My !@#$% buddy and I found it asleep under a rock during the day, so he grabbed it by the tail. Wish it had bitten him!

Blue, Mako, Horn, Angel, and Leopard Sharks off California, and a White Tip Reef shark off Maui.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
You left out:
Lawyers
Insurance Salesman
Politicians

I see these on a daily basis. I guess you could say I swim with sharks. :D

But really, I have only seen black tipped reef sharks so far - 3 together sitting under a ledge on one dive, and then later that night on another dive at the same site we saw them swimming around the reef.

Last time I was in West Palm, one of them circled my buddy and I several times. Just checking us out.

Really cool. Such beautiful creatures.

Peter Doege

don't think it made your list either..

Sharks are one big reason why I dive. Absolutely the best thing to see IMO. In the Galapagos, we were seeing effects of an El Nino event and the previous group on our boat had seen 0 hammerheads...everyone was bummed.

We only saw 1 in the first few dives at Wolf and Darwin, then 2, then 5, then 25, then 150+....I estimated we saw over 700-800 by the end of the trip. Some people were getting jaded by their abundance and would ignore a solid wall of hammers to ogle some mundane reef fish. Go figure...

A good place for sharks is the Socorros (Revillagegedos) Islands in Mexico...we saw 6 species there...hammers, a baby tiger, Galapagos, white tip, silver tip, and tons of silkies. The silkies would occassionally make high speed runs at us while were at the surface handing our gear to the panga drivers...unnerved a few divers. They called it aggressive behavior, I called it curiosity...never saw any erratic swimming, pectoral thrusting, or arching of the back so didn't feel too threatened. Barking dogs don't bite or something...

The other sharkfest site I loved was Cocos Is. Hammers, mating white tips (not a gentile sight, more along the lines of rough group sex) and a squadron of silkies that were tearing up some tuna that were tearing up a bait ball. Great action.

Seen while diving off Australia and the South Pacific

Schools of Hammerheads
Schools of Gery Nurse
Schools White & Black tip Reef Sharks
Whale Sharks
Port Jakson Sharks
Wobbygong Sharks
Shovel Nose Shakes
Carept Sharks
Epilet Sharks

Umm thats all I can think of without having a look through my log bok

whale shark ride along