What kind of sharks have you seen?

What kind of sharks have you seen up close!

• NURSE

Votes: 136 74.7%
  • WHITE-TIPPED REEF, SILVERTIP REEF, GREY REEF, BLACK TIPPED REEF

Votes: 129 70.9%
  • SANDBAR SHARK/GREY NURSE/SNAGGLE TOOTH

Votes: 43 23.6%
  • LEMON SHARK

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • BULL SHARK / ZAMBEZI

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • TIGER SHARKS

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • OCEANIC WHITETIP, GREAT WHITE

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • MAKO

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • BLUE SHARKS

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • MEGAMOUTH,GOBLIN,HAMMERHEAD,THRESHER,WHALE,BASKING

Votes: 48 26.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not enough that's for sure:)
Sand Tiger(Dusky) off N.C.
Nurse
Bull
Black Tip Reef

Hoping to see several Hammerhead in February at Cocos.
I'll send lots of pictures.

Letsee

Hammerhead circling below me while doing a night snorkel
Tigershark while diving in Indonesia/ diving in Fiji
Ocean white tips PNG
Silvertips PNG
Blacktips PNG
Grey Reefs PNG/Australia/Fiji/Malaysia
Bullsharks Australia
Wobbegongs Australia
Epaulette Australia
Bamboo Australia
Port Jackson Australia
Greatwhite Australia
Whale Shark Australia
Leopard Australia
Grey Nurse Australia
Shovel nose shark Australia
Lemon shark Australia

That's some I can think of over the last year or so

Was diving off Ras Um Sid and saw what appeared to be a 4 meter tiger. It was right at max viz, and we were able to guage it's size by a large coral head that it swam next to. That will get your blood pumping in the morning! Also have seen numerous white tip reefs and a few hammerheads.

black tip, white tip, leopard sharks.... and two 3-m treshers circling us for about 10 minutes. We could just sit on the bottom and watch them coming back to us again and again.
Sometimes the black tips have been very interested in us. I remember once a group of three black tips come up to us so close that I could look into their eyes.... they certainly had a good look at us.
My next wish is seeing a hammerhead.

Have you seen any Greenland sharks Elsa?:D

Some mentioned sightings of leopard sharks in their postings. One must be careful when referring to sharks by common names.

There are two species regularly referred to as leopard sharks. Both are harmless. One is common off the west coast of the US to Mexico (Triakis semifasciata) and the other is commonly found in the Indian Ocean and East Pacific (Stegostoma fasciatum). Stegostoma fasciatum is also referred to as a zebra shark because in its juvenile stage it has a striped pattern. As an adult it has spotting and hence the name leopard shark.

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say not that many species:

Whale shark/Indonesia
White Tip/Indonesia
Black Tip Reef/Maldives
Wobbegongs/Australia

Far too many shark fins are seen hanging in the windows of some of Asia's restaurants for shark-fin soup.:(

did a night dive this saturday night - saw the biggest shark in my diving career. I know for it won't seem like much to all those folks who have gone to places swarming with giants. It was about 3 1/2 foot long Leopard shark (Triakis semifasciata) - she was so graceful and curious. She stayed about 15 feet away but circled back and then lost interest and swam slowly away - wow I grabbed my buddy and shook her with excitement. It was so cool!

Too bad there is no leopard shark option in the poll...

Aquatec - let's here this story about you being chased by a tiger, sounds fun!

Lots of nurse sharks and stingrays out at Shark Ray Alley in Ambergris Caye, Belize. Course, that's because they know that there's food there. Snorkeling only, no scuba allowed. The water is about 6 feet deep where the boats anchor.

My experience went something like this:

Rene the guide -- I could hear him up in the boat while I was floating around and looking down into the water:

"That's it Matt, when the shark comes up to you just make the your fingers into a fist and then they will not think you have food, so they will swim away. See how tame they are?"

They were just swimming right up to us, and they'd bump into you and then brush by and you could run your fingers down their back or belly and they'd keep going.

More from Rene:

"Okay Matt, here comes a good looking one, we will get him over here with some sardines. Here he is. Yes, make the fist like before. Wait, no, not like that, you want to tuck your thumb in. Oh...oh...oh no...come here, we will put some hydrogen peroxide on that..."

*sigh*, Matt's first shark bite ever. Not bad, mostly healed up now. Looked like I put my thumb in a cheese grater, though :)

One must always remember that no matter how nice and friendly these animals seem, and no matter how many stories you hear about hugging the "nursies", THEY'RE STILL SHARKS!!!!

Matt :D

Back
Top Bottom