What location is best for lots of fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I

ilee1990

What location is best for max viz and lots of fish (small and/or big) and coral?

I want to do a liveaboard but can't decide between Belize, Utila, or the Cayman Islands. We want to have 50+ viz and see schools of fish, sharks, rays, etc... Basically a lot of life. Wrecks would be a huge plus!

Does such a place exist anymore :06:

Thanks

ilee1990:
What location is best for max viz and lots of fish (small and/or big) and coral?
Thanks

Uh, in the water...

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Mike Veitch:
Sounds to me like you need to go to Palau

Yup, Palau. Mike's right. Burma has bazillions of fish, more than Palau, and lots of rays, but no sharks, and not the greatest viz.

I'll let you know about Palau in 173 days. Not that I'm counting or anything.

Tim Ingersoll:
I'll let you know about Palau in 173 days. Not that I'm counting or anything.

Seems like you are on the site early today. Palau seems like a good bet for lots of fish. New Britain was lotsss of fish. I'm still recovering from the expenditure of vacation.
The variation of fish and the numbers would cause overload, I'd start to try and remember 5 - 6 - 9, different types and would see a dozen more and I'd forget the first few that I tried to remember, but what an excellent problem to have.

ilee1990:

I want to do a liveaboard but can't decide between Belize, Utila, or the Cayman Islands. We want to have 50+ viz and see schools of fish, sharks, rays, etc... Basically a lot of life. Wrecks would be a huge plus!

Does such a place exist anymore :06:

Thanks
galapagos,peace

You guys are killing me...

I can't afford Palau. The airfare alone is outrageous. It's $5,000 just for the Aggressor. It would cost close to $8,000 for just a week. I prefer to combine things and spend 2 or 3 weeks on vacation.

OK...so given the choices between, Kona, Belize, and the Cayman aggressor, which would you choose?

I just want fish. I got tired of looking at just coral reefs this year and really want some fish. They don't have to be big. Just copious :D

I was actually thinking about the Caymans because then we could drive down to Key Largo and spend a few days diving the wrecks (Bibb, Dwayne, Spiegel).

I just can't decide. The hubby is no better. He likes every new destination and combination of trips that I present him.

The only one of the places you listed that I've really had any experience with is Kona. You won't find the big schools of fish and certainly no sharks, but there's still a huge amount of life to take in. What Kona misses in adrenaline charged shark action, it more than makes up for in manta rays http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/charters2/mantanight.htm ! I haven't really dove that much, but still, believe me when I say that this has got to be one of the most unique dives in the world. I've never been to Belize or Grand Cayman, but from what I've heard, they're both full of life, but from what I know, Kona has definately cornered the market on weird/unique dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom