What makes a good instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empathy.
While not a reqirement for most students it sure does help when teaching a student who has "problem areas." An instructor who understands what the student is feeling whether it be anxiety, frustration, etc. and who can put the students feelings into words will find it much easier to overcome obstacles. When you describe to a student exactly what they're feeling inside (without asking them) they look at you like you truly understand them. Many will work harder to overcome their fear because you've convinced them that you know EXACTLY what they're going through. I've seen some instructors get impatient with students who were having problems, to the point where the student was in tears. The instructor couldn't understand what "the big deal" about the skill was and instead of passing the student to someone who could empathise with the student for some remedial work they would just yell at the student since the exercise was "so simple." A good instructor will pass the student to an assistant before their frustration level gets to the point where the student is going to notice it.
Ber :bunny:

Some really good posts. In addition I think a good instructor is someone who continues to improve their own diving and teaching ability. IMO, the teacher also needs to be a student. I see instructors who know little beyond what is in the texts that they teach and they seem comfortable with their skill and knowledge. In my experience even though I may be an expert while with my students I dive (and train) with divers in whos company I am a novice at best. IMO, an instructor needs that perspective. If you aren't being humled once in a while your not getting out enough.

1. Uses real-world illustrations, establishing common ground thus even in the classroom the instructor takes the student "diving".
2. Prepares the student. Helps the student see why the material applies to them personally, the environment they will be diving in, the conditions they will experience, the problems they will actually solve.
3. Makes personal application of the material to oneself and to the student.
4. Demonstrates mastery, role-model behavior - not hypocritical "it's good enough for me too". Practices what they preach.
5. Never forgets what it is like to be a student - the only way this is possible is to listen, then when you think you are done listen some more. Anticipates student needs before they ask.
6. Garners respect by both words and actions.
7. Creates an environment for mutual exchange. A teacher is eternally a student.
8. Compassionate.
9. One's yes means yes and no means no.
10. Confident though not overbearing - enforces the rules and lives by them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom