What Responsibilities do Dive Operation Have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erichK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am initiating this thread because I was shocked by the comments some of those who make their living from us divers made in the "Dangerous dive or unprepared divers??" in the "Instructors's Panel" area. Participants were asked to comment on the following complaint to a dive operation:

Dear Sir/Madame.

I am writing with regards to our recent dives. On Wednesday we went on a two tank Wreck dive. We went out to the dive site and the waters were very rough. We took quite some time to find the site. With the ocean quite rough the boat bobbed around like a cork.

On the way we were briefed about our dive. In the briefing we were told that the wreck was in about 80 feet of water, and there might be some current. No warning about what we would actually get into on the dive. Once at the site the skilled boat captain put us down current from the wreck. We entered the water. There was of course no warning that the current was particularly strong in the 40 to 50 foot range.

My wife was my buddy, as usual. We entered the water and I started my descent, keeping a close eye on my wife. As I descended, the rest of the group went right to the bottom and started moving off. My wife and I attempted to move towards them but were unable to move forward at all as we were diving into a very strong current. We struggled in our attempts to move and were becoming overwhelmed by the current and the disappearance of everyone else on the dive.

We were starting to hyperventilate as we worked so hard to try and find the group. We had to become calm and save ourselves from this dangerous situation. We surfaced and waited for the boat to come back and get us. As we sat on the boat another diver surfaced and he was exhausted. He fought the current as much as he could but could not stay down any longer. He expressed his concern about the danger of the dive and felt that this would be his last dive he would ever do, as it was clearly too dangerous.

Other divers surfaced and the usual beaming faces that divers have, after a good dive were nowhere to be seen. All of them were exhausted and one of them was cut on the arm and leg as a result of the currents pushing him into the wreck. We asked him how he got to the wreck and he advised that he had gone to the bottom and pulled himself along the rocks to make any progress against the current. He also advised that he had expended so much energy and air that he actually ran right out of air while in the wreck and had to buddy breath to his decompression stop and then to the surface.

My wife and I were very upset. We had been sitting on the rocking boat for 20 minutes and both of us vomited, in part from the boat and in part from the experience we had just been through. We spoke with the dive master and he advised that we should try the reef drift dive and that we would be comfortable on that dive. He advised the female dive leader to take our group and told her to make sure that she stayed with us.

We started the second dive. Once at the bottom the first group moved off to our left. Our group leader went right. We followed her as we had been instructed. We moved off for about 30 seconds and then she turned and told us to go join the other group. We turned and were hit with the cross current. There was no way to join the other group and in fact we moved off, once again losing sight of anyone from our group. We attempted to cross the current but could not. We drifted for awhile and moved up neared the surface to see if we could see anyone. No one was in sight. After several minutes we surfaced because we were alone in the ocean and felt it best to find the boat. We returned to the boat.

Approximately 10 minutes later the female dive master surfaced and asked us what happened this time. We told her that we had followed her and when she pointed us towards the other group we could not get there due to the current. When the dive master surfaced he came right to us and asked us what happened. We told him what happened and he told us that once we moved right with the other leader there was no was to get back to them. He said even he could not have gotten through the current to return to the group.

My wife and I are both advanced open water divers. We have dived in locations around the world. We have never been on dives like this. The wreck dive was in no way a recreational dive. With the strength of the current it was a dangerous dive. The absence of guidance and supervision made it a potentially fatal dive. The reef dive was not much better. The only advantage we had on the reef dive was that we had already been abandoned once and so knew how to react immediately.

With the force of the current the dive masters obviously didn’t have time to check for air pressure as one fellow actually ran out of air. It would have been easy for him to have been in the wreck and not able to get to another diver for air. On the second dive there was no supervision at all. Upon returning to your office the dive master brought us to the main counter and spoke with a manager. The manager advised that he could offer a 50% refund as a credit towards a purchase in your store. We did not argue as we were both very upset. We left and returned to our hotel where my wife cried and shook for the rest of the day. I suspect that it will be quite some time before we ever scuba again.

You should be aware of the dangers and risks that your company is taking with people’s lives. I am writing to you to express my grave concerns and to make note of this type of conduct should other divers experience similar risks. I will be forwarding a copy of this letter to PADI and hope that they will take some action to either make sure you operate in a safe manner or remove the PADI name from your location. :

The fairest comment seemed to be the one that immediately followed, that this was a combination of a crappy dive and inexperienced divers. Most of the other comments made blamed the divers, although, if their letter is to be believed, they received little warning about the fairly difficult nature of this dive.

They are, for example, castigated for "expecting a DM to check their air". In my experience, in group dives with a DM, it is normal practice for the DM to ask divers to indicate when they have used half their air. This allows the DM, who presumably knows the site and its hazards (currents, kelp, difficulty of the pick-up, both in terms of finding and of boarding divers for the boat).

Other comments--please read the thread--suggest that this couple are grossly inexperienced, are not very bright, are whinners. There is little criticism of a dive operation that, in my opinion, either did not sufficiently monitor conditions and properly brief their customers or simply put profit before safety.

I have been interested in this sport for many years, first certifying with the YMCA in 68 and then with ACUC in 82 and 01, then doing the PADI AOW and thier Nitrox in 03. I have been alarmed by an impression that SCUBA is being introduced to ever younger and ever less fit divers in ever easier courses. Athough I have never been trained as a SCUBA instructor, I have been a Water Safety and First Aid Instructor and lead and organized quite a number of activities over the years. Safety was always my paramount concern, even this hurt the pocketbook.

Are the "dive professionals" who are so critical of this couple some of the same people who sign up people resort courses by assuring them that diving is safer than driving a car and then sell them hundreds of dollars of equipment and thousands of dollars of dive trips by waxing enthusiastic about the wonders of the the deep and the beauty and comfort of destinations? If so, then they are engaging in the worst sort of hypocrisy.

In the seventy or so recent dives my family and I have undrtaken in B.C. and Washinton, Cuba, Dominica and Saba, we have dealt with about a dozen different dive operations. Some, notably Nature Island Dive, Nautilus Explorer live aboard and the El Colony Hotel based one in Cuba were extremely responsible and safe because they not only gave good dive briefings but also quietly but carefully assesed the skills of the groups they were hosting, and took the trouble/expense to cancel or postpone dives when they had safety concerns. Most of the others were okay, though in a few cases--I'll respond privately with names and examples, because no real harm was done--the rush the operators were in and background sound of a cash register ringing either posed some safety concerns or spoiled the experience.

On our most recent course, PADI Nitrox, all three of us were flabbergasted by the seemingly endless pages of caveats, waivers and releases we had to sign. There are alarming comments on the "Dangerous Dive..." thread that advise dive operators that it is safest not even to ask to see a logbook or ask divers about their experience.

In my opinion, any "dive professional" with such as attitude should be encouraged to leave this sport. If we do not put a real concern for safety and human life before profit and business-as-usual, then eventually the tragic consequences will be to force others to step in and regulate it for us.

Divers, old and new: how tdo you feel about the comments on this thread (PLEASE DO READ THE DANGEROUS DIVE OR INEXPERIENCED DIVERS THREAD). Where do you think the responsibility of Dive operators, instructors and dive masters begins..and ends? And perhaps also: are all the releases we are asked to sign are really justifiable, or do they give too much protection to iresponsible and incompetent operators?

I am a new diver, but have to agree with you. One lesson drilled into me repeatedly is that NO ONE else can be held responsible for you monitering your air; it is up to you. The letter sounds like divers who enjoy fair weather diving, not a bad thing, different expectations for different people. If the seas were bad, the couple should have reconsidered the dive, and possibly held off for another day. With my huge amount of 31 dives under my belt, I know that with heavier seas can mean worse conditions both under and above the water (having enjoyed some decent seas in my short time). I know the risks to the dive (it may not be as enjoyable as a glass sea dive) and take the responsiblity of my choice on myself each time. I have yet to have a bad dive, just some are better than others.

erichK:
I am initiating this thread because I was shocked by the comments some of those who make their living from us divers made in the "Dangerous dive or unprepared divers??" in the "Instructors's Panel" area. Participants were asked to comment on the following complaint to a dive operation:
[/erichK]

I beleive the answer is that it was a bad match between the diver and the dive.

I've been on dives where people came back bleeding, while I had a great time, because I knew that a narrow swim-through with heavy surge was a Bad Idea and went around. The people that followed the DM looked like they had been attacked by something with claws and a bad attitude.

Dangerous dive? Only if you were unprepared. If you looked at the swimthrough and said "looks like bad news with this surge", then it was a good dive.

OTOH, Since this was a dive where they couldn't know about the current until they were already in it, I beleive the dive operator had some responsibility to see if they had ever been in similar conditions, and put them on an easier dive if the answer was "no".

I don't beleive the part where they said they were dropped downcurrent from the wreck. I beleive they were dropped upcurrent from the wreck, but didn't descend fast enough and ended up on the wrong side. I have nothing to base this on, except the thought that the dive operator has probably done this a lot and knows where the wreck is.

Terry

This is an example of why I don't teach or lead a dive with divers I don't know. The Couple wanted to be supervised while diving. Guiding is one thing but Supervision is quite another. They sounded like somebody has to hold their hand while diving.
If they already knew that the current was running and that they took longer than the rest of the divers in the group, why would they re-enter the water and wait for "Supervision"? It sounds like whoever taught them Advanced SCUBA should have with held the final signature. Without sound judgement they shouldn't be advanced qualifyed..
An advanced diver should know to hold the bottom or at least see that everybody else was so they should follow the "leader". It sounded like they were trying to swim against the current instead of getting to the bottom and using their hands to advance. They need more training not a Supervisor! Bill

The dive operator has no responsibility beyond sharing any information he has about the site and keeping his vessel in good operating condition. Well, okay, maybe he should be checking C-cards and also make sure that he does a head count before he returns to port. It's up to the divers to make sure that they have the information, training and experience to plan and conduct the dive safely. It's also up to the divers to pull the plug if they find themselves without sufficient information, training or experience...

I prefer my dive operators to be taxi services: get me there, bring me back and share a few good stories. Others may want more, indeed our hapless couple seems to have been looking for a guided tour with abundant handholding. That's fine, but it's up to them to contract for those services in advance.

I understand that the jump from resort diving, where the charter operator does everything but change your nappies for you, to real world diving where sometimes the best you can hope for is that the captain is sober can be jarring. Perhaps this will end up as a valuable learning experience for them - and for some reading about the incident - about the health benefits of honest self-evaluation, a proactive dive plan and a moderate dose of caution.

Anyone that makes it through even the most rudimentary certification process and still thinks scuba is a "safe" activity wasn't paying attention. There are a multitude of ways that diving can maim or kill you and blaming the charter operator won't make you any less dead.

Divers are responsible for themselves.

Whether they like it or not.

Beyond all of this, I have a few comments:

Bad weather happens, both above the surface and below. A ripping current at depth is hard (or impossible) to predict or know about. Wreck diving in any kind of current is difficult and can easily become impossible. Heavy chop can make for a miserable dive. It pays to remember that the best time to abort a dive is before you get in the water.

I strongly suspect that the couple were NOT dropped downcurrent. The likelihood is that the ripping current and their tentative approach caused them to overshoot the wreck, leaving them downcurrent. This happens with some regularlity and divers should know the answer to "what if" before they hit the water. The dive that they did requires more than basic drift diving skills and the presence of mind to be able to adjust a plan on the fly.

It may be the norm in some areas for DM's to monitor individual divers air consumption but in others it's unusual to have a DM in the water. Even on dives where the DM enters the water, it's not uncommon in some areas that their only responsibility is to hook the wreck and then go their own way. It appears that our couple assumed that the DM was there as not just a guide but also a babysitter, a serious planning error on their part.

A "good" dive operator might have taken pains to provide information that this was a dive site suitable only for advanced divers with special circumstances unique to the local area and that divers without specific training and experience should avoid the dive. Of course, we don't know that this didn't happen.

It's human nature to hope for the best, it's smart diving to plan for the worst.

I agree that we are responsible for ourselves on a dive but knowing and not knowing when to call a dive can be a difficult decision. Although it shouldnt be, it often is. We plan, we travel, we get there ready to dive then suddenly the conditions worsen or the group(s) isn't what we expect but we've come so far......should I or shouldn't I.....I'm sure you can relate.

The question some of us have is where are we suppose to get the experience to qualify us for these dives? In class? Classes rarely qualify you to dive the conditions that are expressed in this post. Diving slowly and progressively, building up to an open ocean wreck dive makes sense but it isn't always possible. So then what, dive once a year on holiday? Some people want to dive at home where the conditions are more challenging.

How do you get the experience without getting in over your head? Any words of advise?

Deano2:
How do you get the experience without getting in over your head? Any words of advise?

There are many ways to get the experience to do advanced diving but all of them require the commitment to dive often. Advanced dive skill are perishable and need to be practiced often.

Advnaced skills can be gained through slow exposure and multiple dives, by mentoring with a truly skilled diver who doesn't mind showing you the ropes or from classes.

Now when I say classes I generally don't mean your typical LDS AOW or cheesy specialty taught by video I mean a real class. Find an instructor who is experienced in the type of diving you want to do discuss your current status, goals and timeframe desired and design a training plan to get you to your goals. Custom designed classes may not give you a stack of cert cards because they rarely fit in to the training scheme of the major organizations but they are easily designed by competant instructors. Also be prepared to pay a bit for this type of instruction as it is usually one on one and time consuming for the instructor- plus for this type of training program you want one of the best not just any instructor and the best usually cost more.

You Know

I'm for a DM of somesort going down and checking out the conditions and if possible running a line to the wreck first.

I doubt this is fesible though.

Chris

All I expect from a dive operator is a ride to the dive site. From there on I make my own decisions.

Captain

Having read far too much concerning this couple and if they were reasonable or expecting a babysitter etc... I will not comment significantly on this but to say that I am in the camp of suggesting that they need to make their own decisions and shouldn't be blindly following anyone when they are on SCUBA equipment. We don't have gills... should be fairly obvious that this isn't a "walk in the park" sport - even for "easy" dives.

However, for me the really interesting point you touch on is what actions and representations made by an operator result in a potential transfer of responsibility for the divers from the divers themselves to the operator. To me this is a remarkable phenomenon in our society today. It seems to me that there is a consistent trend to ensuring that individuals are never really responsible for what happens to them. They drink too much at a bar, go out and run their car into a tree and sue the bar for serving them too much. In the case of SCUBA, they take a quickie class, get a c-card, hop on a complex wreck/drift/namewhatyoulike dive and if anything happens, the operator is at fault.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggeting that negligence isn't real. There are clear times where what has happened to someone is a direct result of the negligence of another making it impossible for the injured party to make informed/reasonable decisions concerning their own safety. Law suits happen, awards result and injured parties receive indemnification that is intended to compensate for the harm they suffered. (and in many cases I don't really think $ can ever compensate for certain types of loss.)

While I would perceive and suggest that different countries are at different stages of development of the "sue someone if you have even the slightest perceived harm", do others believe this is a growing trend?

This results in operators only asking for cards and no more information because then they can simply indicate that they only knew the individual was trained in SCUBA diving and they informed the individual regarding the dive and risks by having them sign huge amounts of paper. If operators ask a lot of questions, or do not make people jump through the paper hoops, it may be perceived that they are representing themselves as an organization that is assessing skills and abilities and managing risks and therefore taking more responsibility for the divers and therefore at more risk of being held negligent since "they knew" that Mr J. Doh. had only done 10 simple dives in the past etc...

While I believe we all have a responsibility to "look out for the other guy" in society, I believe we have gone to an extreme. I don't want operators to HAVE to look out for me, and I do believe that I am responsible for my actions, but I'd like to think that operators should be able to ask general questions if they are tweaked by comments or actions of an individual without fear of a lawsuit and placing their ability to get liability insurance at risk.

Thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom