What Responsibilities do Dive Operation Have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this happen in the keys.

A couple (Say in their 50's) doing a shallow reef dive. - Had not dove "on their own" before - Had no clue how to navigate and were terrified when they surfaced.

The conditions were fine they just felt that hey had gotten lost somehow!!!

Unfortunately, diving is not like driving a car, and running out of air is usually more serious than running out of gas. And it is not always easy to guage just what is the optimum turn-around point at an unknown site or dive. I can remember a dive from the main shore-dive site at Playa Giron (Bay of Pigs) at which a divemaster insisted on checking our guages, then motioning me to breathe from his auxillary reg for five or minutes or so of shallow bottom swimming, before motioning us all to surface.

We understood why as we sufaced. The surf had risen so much while we were out at the coral shelf drop-off that a surface swim back would have been chancy. My wife--like most women--uses less air, so had the 1500+ PSI needed to fin back with a safe margin, but my 1100 or so might have been risky. Because his English was little better than my Spanish he'd simply had us stay close and kept an eye on our air. "Babying", perhaps, but it was our first dive at this site on a divable but less than ideal day, and his first dive with us. So it was surely the safest thing to do under the circumstances.

Of course we should all look out for our own air and safety, but operators who know that there are potential surprises at a particular site should, at the very least, fully alert their *customers* to these. There is such a thing as exercising "due dilligence" in providing a service that should not be subject to waivers!

Of course another answer would be to provide more-- and more rigorous--training. I'm encouraging the whole family to continue to at least Rescue Diver and perhaps Master Diver in the hope of improving our skills and safety. (And also that the training and testing, at least for the latter, will finally be as rigorous and comperhensive as my YMCA OW certification or my Water Safety Patrol Leader courses were...back in 1968!)

"Contributory Negligence" is typically used in reference to the actions of an injured party that increased the severity of their loss. (e.g. you don't wear a seat belt and someone runs into you. You may receive an award to compensate you for your injuries as a result of their negligent act, but perhaps only receive 75% of the full indemnification amount - given that your not wearing a seatbelt contributed to the severity of your loss) (No - also not a lawyer) In the cases being discussed we may find that a divers decisions may results in them being found contributorily negligent as a result of actions they take, but the question is if the operator was negligent in the first place.

In the type of situation we are discussing here, I believe we would all likely agree to certain expectations of care that an operator should meet. If the boat sinks due to poor maintenance, I'd say the operator was negligent... perhaps even if a passenger injures themselves when boarding a boat when the walkway is very poorly maintained - we may all agree that a basic duty of care is called for by operators in the maintenance and care of their vessel etc.

To extend that duty of care to the time in the water on a dive is much more problematic. Now, if they supplied tanks and the air has a high CO content because of a poorly maintained compressor... likely we could agree that they were negligent, but to suggest that they should in some way assess the skill of the diver and ascertain if they should let the diver make a dive, or change a dive location based on what they are told by divers... I'm not ok in extending that far.

I believe they have a duty to describe in basic terms what can typically be expected at a dive site and to check that divers have a c-card. Beyond that, if they have communicated the risks and what to do if thumbing the dive... they have, IMHO met their duty of care.

you gotta know when to call a dive

nobody else can do that for you, not your buddy, not the DM, not the boat captain

ScubaFreak:
Nail on the head.

Fair enough, both sides of the story aren't known, and perhaps the dive outfit maybe should have re-assessed conditions considering the experience of the divers, but regardless of the operations actions, the diver should have thumbed it when he realised how the day was developing. If that hasn't been learnt by AOW, refreshers are in order.

SF

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this thread.

What's the other side of this story?

All the dive operator has to go on is the log book and what the diver states their experience is, both can be over exagerated and sometimes are. Maybe the DM did explain exactly what was to be expected at the site and these two were too busy talking, just didn't pay attention or they were nervous and didn't want to tell the DM. We will never know unless we hear the other side of the story.

ErichK, let me see if I can summarize your dive:
  • You were unfamiliar with the dive site.
  • Conditions were less than ideal.
  • You didn't monitor for changing conditions during the dive.
  • You were unable to communicate with your guide/divemaster.
  • You didn't turn the dive at 2/3 or even at 1/2.
This is the worst kind of "trust me" dive. Where does your responsibility to take care of yourself come into play? I understand your desire to have someone watch out for you - you sure aren't. Let me suggest that, instead of trying to put the responsibility for your safety on the operator, you should get down on your knees and give thanks to God for watching over you. Meanwhile, until you're willing to exercise a modicum of due diligence and responsibility for your own conduct, I'll have to ask that you stop trying to force the rest of us to take care of your sorry butt.

Another thing: surely the safest thing would have been to stay out of the water on a less than ideal day. This smug avoidance of the obvious is the part that really riles me about arguments like yours - it always seem to boil down to a selfish stupidity where you (and others) couldn't care less about the people around you, so long as you get to do whatever you want.

Diving is a dangerous sport. You can easily be maimed and killed if you aren't careful and you aren't careful. More training isn't going to fix your problem - stop diving if this is the best you can do for common sense. "Due diligence" is a two-edged sword and may not get you the results you want. Maybe the dive operator should have told you more about the day and the site, clearly he should have prohibited you from diving. One part of your argument that should worry you: if operators adopt my standards, divers like you would spend the rest of your life on the beach.

Okay, sorry that this rant is as personal as it comes off. I know you aren't stupid; part of my frustration comes from a simple concern for your safety, part comes from a concern that your need for a nanny is going to mean that I have to shoosh them away from me when I want to dive. I'm going to take a chill pill and go to bed now.

As a new diver with only a couple of boat dives behind me, all I expect from the captain and DM are (1) give a good briefing before we take off, explaining the conditions (as known), (2) get me safely to the dive site, (3) get me safely back to the dock afterwards. Of course, most captains and DM's go way out of their way helping divers suit up, handing them gear or removing gear, double checking the buddy check, providing defog, etc...

I've always appreciated the help that the DM & capt. have given me, but I dont depend on them or expect any help from them. I take responsibility for myself- my actions, my gear, my safety, and the ability to assess conditions in relation to my diving experience.

On my last boat trip, there was a man who came aboard with no buddy and during the ride, he mentioned that he hadn't dove in over 2 years. The DM ended up having to dive with him because the guy couldn't remember how to use half of his gear. That boggled my mind, as this was a wreck dive to the Yukon (85+ ft) with limited vis- why would anyone dive buddyless & not sure how to use their gear under those conditions? Thats just an accident waiting to happen.

MissyP:
As a new diver QUOTE]

Before I get slammed as to why a "new diver" was going to the Yukon, let me explain.. It was a wreck dive in my AOW class (the "introductory" dive to decide if you want to take the full class) and I had my instructor with me.. We did not penetrate the wreck, and ended up calling our dive because of poor conditions anyway.

reefraff:
ErichK, let me see if I can summarize your dive:
  • You were unfamiliar with the dive site.

****True.
  • Conditions were less than ideal.
    ***Yes, but still quite divable, even for my rather nervous spouse.
  • You didn't monitor for changing conditions during the dive.

***Since we were at about 80 feet, it was very difficult to do this...until we ascended to 40 and eventually about 30 feet on our way back to shore. As is usually the case, the surf was much worse over shallower water
  • You were unable to communicate with your guide/divemaster.

***We stayed within about ten feet, in very clear water, and had very good basic communication. There was never any panic. He looked at my gauge, then showed me his (about 1600 or 1700 psi as I remember) and directed me to share air, which I gladly did. We and he did lack the mutual vocabulary to communicate detailed contingency plans plans, so he decided to keep us together
  • You didn't turn the dive at 2/3 or even at 1/2.

***There was absolutely no reason to "turn the dive" which was excellent. We were on our way back when we did the air check. If there had been no divemaster and I had just been diving with a buddy I would simply have communicated with my buddy and started my ascent at 1000 - 1050 PSI. The surf would have become obvious, and depending on (usually her) air situation, we would either have shared air and swum in further, or surfaced and had a rough swim in three foot waves. It was a clear day, with the sun and shore clearly visible.

This is the worst kind of "trust me" dive. ETC ETC

The sorry you eventually come up with is appreciated, and I do have a lot to learn and certainly keep working at it. But after diving for a off and on, for decades, I do get tired of such rage and the supreme condescension for daring to relate even such minor incidents. They militate against people reporting them and also against any honest discussion of where responsiblity really lies.

Living in the midst of the norther prairies, I have to travel to dive, and have only done about 80 recent dives. But, over the years, I've dived (dove?) in murky, freezing lakes in which it was barely possible to tell up from down and in current, at night, and surfaced in kelp, at night (Johnson Strait, Queen Charlotte Strait, Browning Wall, etc.) and have had problems arise and equipment fail in such circumstances. I've had to make decisions in much more challenging situation than the one I related. Some of these may have been imperfect, but I'm still here because they were at least rational.

There is almost always a solution to any situation that can occur in *recreational diving* if one does not panic. In this particular case, it was simply to stay close and share air on the bottom rather than flailing back on the surface, through the waves.

My own experiences lead me to cut a bit more rope to the couple that wrote the letter quoted at the start of this thread than some of you seem inclined to. They surely did the best they could in a situation that was very difficult for them. Based on what was reported on the original thread, conditions were quite challenging even for very skilled divers, and much worse than what they had been led to expect.

They have a right to complain about that. This is, after all, supposed to be someting we do for enjoyment, "recreational diving", not an extreme sport. (Aren't ever younger children and increasing numbers of people who can barely swim being introduced to it daily?)

Traditionally, air transport has tended to blame dead pilots for air crashes. There seems to be a similar disturbing tendency to *start* by blaming the victim in diving. In my admittedly limited experience, most dive operators do put safety first, but a disturbingly large minority are always in a bit of a hurry, and sometimes doing too many things with too few staff and resources for comfort...and perhaps safety. We do absolutely nothing to improve our sport--or even protect it--when we fail to recognize such realities.

I'm repeating myself, but I believe if we are to hold people accountable, we must strive to recognize and determine who is responsible for what and to what extent. Totally absolving of any accountability those who may be partially responsible for the occurrence of an act - is an omission of responsibility. We would not want all the blame to fall on any one party if it is undeserved. Whoever the party may be.

It's impossible, or almost so, to draw a simple clear line since every event is unique. Take the taxi example. Yo, taxi driver, take me to The Big Bucks bank down the street and wait for me. I'll be out quick as soon as I rob it..... Take me to the big bridge, I'm going to jump. It's not a simple taxi ride for the driver anymore, is it. Not a lawyer either, but the law will seek to determine if the taxi driver voluntarily contributed to the commission of the act. There are all kinds of different issues involved here, but let's assume the taxi driver simply said: On the way boss, pay the fare, what you do is your business not mine. I think the law will disagree with his interpretation.

Some basic responsibilities taken by various parties during a dive trip include:

Determining who is allowed to participate in a dive, dive trip - accepting.

Determining dive location - accepting it.

Assessing and informing others of site conditions - accepting or making own judgment.

Guiding, supervising, permitting freedom to make own plan for the dive - accepting required conditions.

Providing transport - accepting conditions of transport.

These are tough business decisions, for example: whether charter checks for some form of skill level, let's say asking for C cards, etc, or nothing at all, there is always an issue of liability under certain circumstances) One of those damn if you do, damn if you don't type of things. It stems from decisions which inherently carry a degree or responsibility on the part of those who engage in them. Ultimately, if the parties don't agree the lawyers and the courts sort them out, for better or worse.

When an accident results, the cause may not be all the responsibility or fault of one person. It may be, but it's entirely possible for others besides the diver involved, to have contributed through their improper, erroneous, negligent, actions and decisions to the cause and/or degree of the accident.

Even when a diver signs all the waivers and agrees to everything, and assuming they legally hold up, there remains a standard of care and practice with the professionals involved in running the trip and making decisions. The diver is also accountable for common sense. These standards may not be well defined or even in dispute.

From what I have seen, and looking at the results, the industry - overall, does an acceptable or good job. Undoubtedly, there are those who place income above all else, or perhaps due to a differing view point, fail to provide what many or most other professionals would consider due standard of care. I agree it's in everyone's interest to weed these operators out. Let's face it, the dive industry wants and needs vacation divers, the customer service each charter operator provides affects others in a positive or negative way. Having said that, there is a difference between negligence and what may simply be varying degrees of customer service.

Full disclosure and clear communication of exactly what is provided and expected should be practiced by both parties. Some charters do push on the edges trying to make a buck. Divers who feel uneasy and expect some sort of supervision, or any issues at all, should clearly state what they expect and ask in no uncertain terms if such service will be provided.

To comment specifically on the first post, I did not go back and read the other thread, its possible better communication on the first dive could have prevented these divers from blaming the charter operator, at least for the in water part. If conditions look challenging, this should be clearly and unambiguously stated. When there is the possibility of encountering challenging drift diving conditions those not versed in this specialized type of diving should be informed of how conditions will affect, what is expected of them, and an abort option if necessary. How well was this done, who knows? As mentioned every story has more than one side. Special consideration is due here when one has a diverse group of divers of differing skill levels and experience. The diver should also take the initiative to ask questions and ultimately decide about conditions he has not experienced or is comfortable with. On the second dive, if we accept the account told, the divers where expecting close supervision, which obviously was not provided. If the DM had other divers to contend with, and felt she could not devote adequate attention to these two than she should not have agreed to those conditions.

In the end lets give some credit to these divers who kept their wits about them enough to get them out of a couple bad situations, instead of becoming another statistic. One can always do things better or not do certain things in retrospect, hopefully it will serve as a positive learning experience for the future. One suggestion for the future is to do some research of the available area dives, conditions, and charters available. With the internet, this is become increasingly easy to do, and should be considered part of the responsibility of every vacation diver instead of simply walking up to any charter and going to whatever dive is being done.

There is something to be said for responsibility and accountability on the part of both the individual diver and the dive charter. When it comes time to admit responsibility and accept the consequences when something goes wrong, many want no part of it. I just don't agree it's always the diver who is fully responsible, all the time, and in all cases. If that's the case - I quit. Free to be unaccountable forever! Now, thats a responsibility I can accept. (joking)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom