What should I buy next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I wouldn't rent for too long. Renting can get just as expensive as buying gear you don't like. Before I bought my gear, I was dropping $100 each time I rented gear. Once I decided what I wanted, I put it on lay-a-way at my LDS. They have an awesome plan where you get free rentals while you have gear on lay-a-way and they give you up to two years to pay it off.

Personally, I wouldn't rent for too long. Renting can get just as expensive as buying gear you don't like. Before I bought my gear, I was dropping $100 each time I rented gear. Once I decided what I wanted, I put it on lay-a-way at my LDS. They have an awesome plan where you get free rentals while you have gear on lay-a-way and they give you up to two years to pay it off.

i hope $100 was for one week of diving lol

i agree with thise that said "nothing" until you got certified except wetsuit
renting is a great way to try out different stuff before you decide to invest in your own, we did that for about the first 50 dives

This.

Don't rush into buying gear as there is a chance you will buy incorrectly. Once certified, think carefully about what kit other divers are using - do not be pressured into buying what a shop wants to sell you.
o
If you are buying in stages, the two things I'd be looking at first are exposure suit and regs. Nobody really enjoys using hired suits and owning your own regs gives you the comfort of knowing the history of the equipment and that it is in good order.

Completely agree with this. Wetsuit first and then start looking at regulator and octo. I'm a big fan of Oceanic regulators for beginners. I think they have very good quality and price point for the person just staring out, but you should try a few different brands and see what you like and don't like. I have dove an Oceanic Alpha 7 my entire scuba career and now I am looking to get a higher quality reg as I move into tech. Buy the middle quality gear when you first start out and gain the experience and knowledge so that you know what you are doing when you drop the big bucks.

IMO, you've got it all---right now...After getting your cert, there's tons of stuff you can/will get, just don't rush into(buying) any new equipment right now....

I just completed my certification, and the dive shop provided everything that I didn't already have. I'm an avid free diver, and I already had snorkel, mask, fins/boots...but they would have supplied those had I needed them, as part of the cost of the class.

I'll be following the advice on here to hold off buying until I've rented for a while, with one exception. On my checkout dive I was entirely reliant on the instructor for my safety stop...when to stop, and for knowing when 3 minutes had expired. Yes, there was a line...and yes, it was marked for the safety stop...and yes, I counted one-one thousand, two-one thousand, etc... That worked for the checkout dive, but I can't always rely on that scenario. The one thing the dive shop I use does not have is rental dive computers. For me personally, a dive computer is something I need to buy now...and for all else I'll rent for a bit. :)

As you can see from some of the comments, there is excellent gear available on the secondary market. You can buy regulators and BCDs for a fraction of the price from people who never got more than 10 dives in before they lost interest or were sidetracked. If you buy used, research what they are selling so you don't end up with something you won't like (I accidentally bought a light that had a halogen bulb instead of an LED). If you can, make the purchase contingent on inspection by the LDS. Regulators and BCDs should last many years with proper maintenance. Have the gear service before you use it. Tanks need periodic inspections and hydros, so they may well be the last pieces you buy and rentals are pretty cheap. A lot of the gear people bring into the water is unnecessary, so think hard about what gear you want to put on your rig. before you purchase.

In contrast to others, I acquired a bcd, regs and computer along with all other gear before I started my classes. I trained in my own equipment, that fit me well, and was familiar with it from day to day, dive to dive. We did the same thing with my wife Debbie when she got certified. I though it was great having all my own stuff for training- and it was a better quality and better fit than rental stuff. Just an alternative perspective to consider.
DivenmasterDennis

There are two ways to purchase scuba gear. The first is to get a package, either from your LDS or online. Packages typically save you some money when purchased all at once as compared to each individual piece bought separately. The benefit is obviously that is will save some money, especially when you continue to use your gear over time. The downside is that the package may include some items that the dealer has a hard time moving and will include that in the package with another more popular item. Some retailers will allow you to make your own gear selections in a package and give you a smaller discount. The other downside is that it requires a much larger cost up front. If you have a hard time affording just a BC or regulator you may not be able to buy both at the same time.

If you buy separately over time you then have smaller cost each time compared to a package. I usually recommend beginners look into purchasing what I call their personal fit items first such as wetsuit and BC. The most important recommendation for both of those items is that they fit you well, not their brand name. And, since every manufacturer varies in size and fit one brand may fit you well and one may not. That can be an issue when renting since most LDS and dive boats have only one brand that the carry. Nothing can ruin a dive like a poor fitting wetsuit or BC. Especially if you have a body type where the standard small, medium, and large doesn't always fit well. My daughter for example because of her age needed extra small sizes. Not every dive shop had XS small sizes and the small size often didn't fit well but was the only one available. She noticed on the first dive with her brand new BC we bought for her that fit well that her buoyancy was much better than when in rentals. After your personal fit items then I would purchase the computer and regulators. They are much less dependent of fit.

I would rush into buying any gear until after you officially certify and have an opportunity to try different types of gear. Personally I would recommend a back inflate BC over jacket style, but that is personal preference. Also, most entry level gear performs just as well as their more expensive counter parts but save quite a bit of money. They are also going to last a very long time so you should have them for years before they need to be replaced. You should do a lot of homework in looking into the gear you want to purchase and if possible even try it first before you buy. On the other hand, the cost of renting adds up and if you dive often enough an long enough you would be better buying sooner rather than later. With the amount of money I spent on rentals I would have been able to purchase a whole set of gear if I had taken the same amount of money off the bat and just bought the gear earlier.

Either way it depends on your financial situation and whatever works best for you.

Also depends on where you plan to go diving. We had to get a travel bcd as our I3 ones are way too/big heavy for travel. I agree with reg's, buy your own, it's hard to really go wrong. We did buy Apeks reg's suited for cold water diving. While we soon discovered we didn't care much for cold water, we love our reg's. We have 2 wetsuits, 3mm and 7mm. We take our 7mm on local and winter Caribbean trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom