What should I look for when buying a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking of buying a locally made suit from Derevko: Derevko Wetsuits | Join The Revolution !. Click on the features. Does it sound any good? That's their top suit.

It looks ok, with a few thoughts...

#1- anything can look good on the internet. I am not familiar with this company so I can't say if this suit is good or not. See if you can find someone who dives these suits, or possibly rent one first?

#2- the one you linked to was a 3mm? If that is all you are looking for then you have it made. I am not sure on the exchange rate, but plan on spending less than 150$ US on a 3mm full. You can also find great deals at surf shops. I buy my 3mm and shorty suits at surf shops, am plenty warm, AND they only cost about 100$ US for a full suit. After 5 seasons or so I just toss it for a new model.

#3- flames are really cool on cars, model airplanes, and even baking mixers. However, flames on a wet suit?:confused: In addition, since you live in S. Africa, you should be aware that non-scientific studies have shown that white sharks are attracted to bright colors over dark ones. A proper white shark experience would be awesome memories that last a lifetime. An improper experience may significantly ruin your weekend.

#4- At 3mm, IMHO there is very little difference between brands and models as far as warmth goes. 3mm is not a lot of neoprene to insulate with. But you can generally wear a shorty or hooded vest underneath comfortably and increase the range of temps you can dive with it. So please, don't get sucked into any hype and spend more money than is average.

#5- for 5mm and up, forget what I said in #4, pay money for a quality suit.

#6- welcome to the dive world, enjoy it down there...

Back
Top Bottom