What sites to dive in Bali & Lombok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui: The good diving is on the northeast coast at Nusa Penida, Padang Bai, and Tulamben.

I would go with the above suggestion as you only have 7days in Bali. Menjangan Island, unless you pretty much confined yourselves to only diving there, is just a bit too far.

You said you will have pre-set resorts but it doesn't sound like you've chosen them yet? If that is the case, I'd suggest you book somewhere on the east coast, maybe Alila Manggis or Nirwana Cottages or The Watergarden (latter two in Candidasa, Alila is just outside) from where it's only 1hr to Tulamben so poss to night-dive, and only 10min from Padangbai from where you can dive outside Padangbai/Candidasa and over at Nusa Penida/Lembongan inc Manta Point.

If you need feedback on other resorts that are available to you, let me know.

And if you decide to do NW Bali (ie for Menjangan) and would like feedback on resorts there, again let me know.

In Lombok: actually on the island of Lombok I'd go with Dive Zone.

And on the Gili islands (tiny, just off the NW point) I'd go with Manta Dive.

Hope that's useful.

Annabel

Annabel Thomas, Director
AquaMarine Diving - Bali, PADI 5 Star Dive Resort 6344
Indonesia's first Project AWARE Go ECO Operator

Office: Jl Raya Seminyak 2A, Kuta, Bali 80361
Postal: PO Box 2098, Kuta, Bali 80361
Phone: +62 361 730 107 Fax: +62 361 735 368

My wife and I have been to Bali (and Java) in sept '07 and to Bali, Lombok, Gili's, N. Sulawesi this year.

I would say that USS Liberty is indeed a must-do. I have never seen such an abundance of life! We dived with Eurodives (oslt) from Ahmed. The gili's were very, very nice, we dived with blue merlin, and besides being chaotic from time to time the DMs are friendly and willing. The first 30 pictures or so are from Gili T: Indonesie 2008
Lots of sharks, turtles, cuttlefish!

We did not like Lombok top-side; but that might be personal. Diving at menjangan (north-west bali) is also very nice, but it'd might be a bit too much out of your way.

Some pointers... (some may already be pointed out)
There's a boat from Bali (sanur) to Gili by Blue Water Safaris, saving you a slow trip (1 hour before hand at the airport, flight - surely delayed -, get your luggage, get a cab, drive for an hour or so and then take a boat to the Gili's) via Lombok. It takes about 2 hours if I'm correct, and is well worth the money. I would recommend taking the anti-seasickness pills they offer :wink:. You can travel back from Gili to Lombok, and take a plane back to Bali.
I wouldn't visit lombok again and skip it all together, mostly due to the top-side problems we faced.
You *can* do a daytrip from south-bali (or ubud perhaps) to the Liberty, but you'll want be at the site before 10am. After that, it gets incredibly crowded. Staying nearby (Ahmed for example) may be a good idea, but will take it's toll in time.

FYI.
from Dec untill Feb (sometime Mar) is rainy season & visibility is not good at Menjangan & Tumlamben.

Last edited:
jcollins, if u like to stay at Tulamben, TWD is having 20% discount for Jan & Feb Dive Bali with Tulamben Wreck Divers - Home.
Do a trip report of Bali & Lombok when u get bk. Have fun!

FYI.
from Dec untill Feb (sometime Mar) is rainy season & visibility is not good at Menjangan & Tumlamben.

Thanks eunjea for the tip! Will start praying for good weather & viz! We found the viz not really good in Aug when we were there...

Another Tip.
If you have a plan stay around Tumlamben more then 2 days, considering accommodation at Amed also good.
You can find more variety hotels & dive ops (and only 2~30min from Tumlamben by car) + many diving point around Amed.

I can vouch for Manta Point, did 2 dives, saw Mantas on both dives and they hung out for quite a a while. Also had a close encounter with 3 big dolphins at about 60ft, but then again, we were all on rebreathers. Still, I have only seen dolphins underwater 1 other time and that was in PNG. With each trip to Indo, I am coming to believe it is the equal of PNG in terms of fish population and intact food chains, which is awesome as it has better food and is about half the price:D.

I was also very impressed with Batu Abah, which is I believe the farthest site around the corner from Manta Point. Tons of fish and the best viz we had in the Bali area, saw a good sized napolean wrasse, who's presence are considered by biologists to be a leading indicator of healthy reefs... -Andy

I do second the proposition of South Lombok - awesome diving, especially in Belongas Bay!! Pii (Dive Zone) is one of the best dive guides I ever dived with.

Any dive report on Lombok?
I'm thinking of visiting it for a week next mth...

Hi jcollins,

I can't add too much to the excellent advice you've already got, but i though you might find these 2 links useful to give you some more background info on Bali and Lombok:

Bali Dive Guide
Lombok Dive Guide

You can find contact details for most of the dive centres on the site as well if you need them.

Have a great trip!

Back
Top Bottom