What the heck "stung" me????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
i vote some form of jellyfish as well, perhaps larval

this is a great reason to wear some form of protection at all times, even if just a lycra skin

of course, then they nail you on the lips ... happened to me ... yow...

i was on the phone with my wife that night "id god bid by a deddy dish on dy dip"

"what?"

"i god bid by a DEDDY DISH on dy DIP, daddit!"

LMAO, dat wud ffudie

H2Andy:
of course, then they nail you on the lips ... happened to me ... yow...

i was on the phone with my wife that night "id god bid by a deddy dish on dy dip"

"what?"

"i god bid by a DEDDY DISH on dy DIP, daddit!"

I haven't laughed that much from a SB post in a long time. Thanks Andy. :lol:

Edit: *In his best Larry the Cable Guy voice* "Lord, I apologize for the pain them people who've been stung on the lips and testicles at the same time had to endure down in Montezuma"

I was in Cabo last week and half a dozen people in our party were stung by jellyfish. My girlfriends symptoms are very similar to yours, raised, swelling, looks like mosquito bites.. I wasn't able to look at the jellyfish but they were pretty small according to the others.

Yup. Prob what it was. Thanks.
Jo

This is jellyfish/sea lice season (April - July) so it could have been either a piece of jellyfish tentacle or sea lice (larval jellyfish). It is not possible to make a good guess as to which it was since everyone has different levels of allergic reaction. This time of year in the mid-atlantic you want to wear a hood even if diving in warm water and do your deco hangs/safety stops facing away from the current or with your hands in front of your exposed lower face. Okay, the last suggestion may not actually help, but it makes me feel safer. Nothing like that sharp sting on your upper lip to wake you up.

Jackie

stangscuba98a:
I have been stung by a box jellyfish once....same thing happened to my arm and the pain and itching lasted for 2 months!
umm, im not a certified diver yet, but i DO watch discovery channel. If you got stung by a box jelly fish then you would not be here to send that comment. you see, after a box jelly fish sting...well, you sorta just up and die.

box jellyfish come in many sizes... if you are "lucky" and get stung by a tiny
speciment, or just drifting pieces of tentacle, it will probably be what was described
by the poster

on the other hand, if a full-grown speciment nails you ... you'll probably drown
due to the overwhelming pain before anyone can get to you... sucks, don't it?

oops, i didnt see the part about the non-lethal box jellies. oh well. sorry. still. i feel bad for you. these are the thigs they doent tell you before your dive cert.lol. 6 more days for mine!!!

Debay777:
umm, im not a certified diver yet, but i DO watch discovery channel. If you got stung by a box jelly fish then you would not be here to send that comment. you see, after a box jelly fish sting...well, you sorta just up and die.

It was the small less lethal variety Box Jelly that got me. DM told me I was very lucky as most people go into cardiac arrest shortly after.

P.S. I am still alive.:D

I'm pretty much healed up now. Just surface scabs. Thanks for all the info!
Jo

Back
Top Bottom