what to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redhatmama:
:icorolley My buddy and I make 60+ dives a year in Coz. He dives an Apex ATX200 and I dive a Zeagle. Neither of us has perished diving the same profiles. The REAL question is whether or not you NEED a cold water regulator that is environmentally sealed.

scubarookie:
we are planning a trip late in the year to jamica so i,ll probably get the wet suit for that climate. would a 3 mm suit do for diving in the great lakes in the summer?

Two wetsuits are one thing, two regs is another. If scubarookie wants to dive in Jamaica and the Great Lakes he should by one coldwater reg that will work for both environments. He might not be so happy buying an Envoy for the Caribbean when he finds its the wrong reg for Lake Superior (and its not upgradable). The whole idea is to buy the right thing the first time without overspending.

HTH

John

:rolleyes: If he's ONLY going to dive the Great Lakes for his OW cert dives, he can rent a regulator, which he'll probably do anyway. He needs to be aware of the potential for LDS over-hype on "life support" equipment. Of course, we all know that the best regulator is the one sold your local dive shop. :wink:

I have 3 regulators and I don't think it is an odd thing. Two are environmentally sealed, but I prefer the Zeagle of ease of breathing.

Hi ScubaRookie

You've been given a lot of good advice so far and I'd like to add/repeat a few points.

*You will need and want your basic gear for class. As you intend get it locally, it must fit and you are not prepared to sort this out online. Mask, snorkel, booties and fins. Devour the gear forum and lean about differences before you get to the store. Wet/Dry snorkels, Purge/no purge masks, are corrective lenses part of your need? Get the idea, lots of details even in the basics. Expect to spend $150 - $300 depending on needs and preferences.

*Great lakes check-out dives, 7mm wetsuit minimum. A core warmer is probably also in order. Many choices there again devour the exposure protection forum. Drive a stake in the sand and buy the protection you need to dive at home so you can become a safe and proficent local diver.

*I'll defer to more seasoned travelers about what you need for your trip. But a 3mm suit is a minor expense and you may even enjoy it for a few shalow water fresh water dives in the summer. It's a fun break from the heavy rubber.

Regulator set and BC. Best not to buy until you are certified. Believe it or not folks do get certified and never dive again. Meanwhile in class ond on cert dives pay attenton what you are usuing. Devour the BC forum and decide what you want and shop/try from there.

If you can't spring for the Regulator set and BC together get the BC. It's the heart and soul of your diving. Everything about your buoyancy control and how you function in the water is built around this item. As a novice diver any rental regulator will serve you well. Expect $400-500 for a BC and $500-$600. for a complete regulator set (Ist stage primary and alternate second stages and full analog instrumentation - tank pressure, depth, compass) You can go alittle higher or lower than these ranges but I think that money will get you into a good selection. Remember to get a cold water regulator, this is true even if you do not plan something like ice diving. At moderate depths you will encounter water cold enough to challenge a warm water regulator due to the cooling effect of delivering compressed air to you. We dive Sherwood Blizzards (we are in Maine) reasonable cost, highly regarded in cold water, easilly serviced almost anyplace, and wicked reliable. A cold water unit will be dandy in warm water.

Computer.. I usally discourage new divers from jumping into this accesory but if you intend to dive a lot on the trip you will want one in time to understand it before the trip. Ge a nitrox capable unit for future growth, it will also manage plain air dives. $300 - $500 as a range. IMO save your money and skip air integrated, let alone wireless. As a minimum you will need a timepiece, something as simple as a cheap wrist watch with adequate depth rating will suffice.

Take your time, asking questions is a great beginning. The New diver, Basic and gear forums are a tremendous resource. Find a model you are interested in? Do a search, you are probably not the first to mention it. Becoming gear savy is a bigger challenge in many ways than actually getting certified. This is real money, your money, take your time do your homework and welcome to the sport.

Pete

Rereading the threading, how does having to buy multiple regulators help scubarookie with not wanting to drop $3000 on gear? Or spending close to that amount but still having to turn around and rent gear?

I'm sure the Envoy is a good reg for you, but it doesn't sound like its the right one for all the kinds of diving scubarookie wants to do.

wow thats alot of dives a year. i,m looking at maybe 15 - 20 dives a year. if i,m lucky..
well i dont plan on doing alot of cold water diving. for now i think i will be a tropical diver..lol..i like the warmer temp,s. plus the visablity seems to be alot better. so if need be i can always rent some equipment for my test here. but i will look into those that you suggested..thanks

StSomewhere:
Rereading the threading, how does having to buy multiple regulators help scubarookie with not wanting to drop $3000 on gear? Or spending close to that amount but still having to turn around and rent gear?

I'm sure the Envoy is a good reg for you, but it doesn't sound like its the right one for all the kinds of diving scubarookie wants to do.

Surely we read different posts...like warm water...few dives per year...

:jpshakehe scubarookie clearly states he aspires to be a tropical diver. Now he is going to simply run away because he will think us pugilistic..

lol..no you dont have to worry about me running away redhatmama. i need all the advice i can get. this is an awesome site lots of good info.! looks like i have lots of shopping to do. oh the joy! lol

You live in Ontario(like me), never buy a warm water reg. I'm amazed when I go into a local dive shop and see "tropical" equipment.

If you want to support a LDS, take a trip down south in the USA(i.e. Florida) and buy your equipment there. It's about half off Canadian MSRP and it's someones LDS. Or buy online and give your LDS a Thank You card and $20. That's all mine says he makes on a sale.

Back
Top Bottom