what to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy the basic goodies (mask, fins, booties, snorkel). Make sure you select a good mask that fits well. Don't get too caught up in selecting fins. Your next purchase should be a wetsuit. A one piece 3mm will serve you well from water 70-85F (which is what Hawaii and all the tropical stuff is). I can dive 65F no problem in my 3mm without a hood, but find a hood a nice to have at that temp.

After that, the first major scuba purchase should be your BCD. I haven't been on SB long, but you'll find tons of people telling you to go with BackPlate + Wing. If you really plan on going all out with diving, maybe you can consider that, but I'd recommend a decent, light weight jacket or back inflate (Zeagle Scout, Oceanic Probe, Cressi Aqualight, Dacor Talon, etc.). Find one that's weight integrated with rear trim pockets and good utility pockets. D-rings are nice for when you start attaching things, but most importantly find one that fits well and is comfortable. I am NOT a fan of the octo Air2 integrated BCDs, and they cost more. I would go with a conventional BCD over an integrated.

If you're a 5'9"-6'1" diver you can easily rent a BCD anywhere you go, but if your real large or small you may have difficulty renting. My girlfriend is 5'3" and less than 110 LBS and couldn't ever find a well fitting BCD so we finally bought her an Extra Small Oceanic Isla (which is a real nice BCD for her needs). That was all she owned until a couple weeks ago until she started purchasing more. With that BCD she could travel with the piece of mind of knowing it was going to fit and not stress out about an improperly fitting BCD.

After that, your next purchase (in my opinion) should be your reg. Although rental regs are typically high quality regs, I don't like that they've been used by others. Also, some regs free flow more, some breathe harder than others, etc. I like knowing how my reg works and what to expect from it. Unfortunately this is a multi-step event because you can't just buy the reg and use it, you'll need an SPG and depth guage as well as an octo. Expect this to be one of your spendier purchases. If you don't get a computer you'll need the depth guage, but there are sub-$100 combo guages available.

After the reg, a computer is a wise purchase. You'll probably want a console computer, but you'll quickly learn that wrist computers are a lot better, plus you won't have to retrofit the console you previously bought to accomodate another device.

I imagine at this point you'll want more wet suit stuff like hoods, gloves, vests, another suit, etc. I now have pretty much two suits, two hoods, etc. Even though you're a tropical diver, you'll likely want to dive in the winter or something.

After that there is weights and eventually the tank (if you plan on local diving a lot).

In between those major purchases there are tons of things like clips, safety devices, lights, knives, bags, etc. Basically every time you go to your local dive shop you will have an itch for something. I buy about half of my stuff at my lds, and half online. Things that I know will need frequent service I buy from the LDS (regulator especially), and they've already tuned both my regs a couple times. Things like wet suits are harder to buy online, but now that I know my sizes I buy those online too. I stick with Henderson, and I bought my first 3mm 1pc Henderson (regular, not gold core or hyperstretch) for $180 from my LDS. I recently bought a regular Henderson 7/5 online for $129.99 (would've spent $350 plus at the LDS). Bought my tank at the LDS because I get free air fills that way, plus if you buy online, shipping is a lot and you have to pay for your stickers anyways.

Have fun and take your time, it's not a race to get fully outfitted. Don't buy super high end stuff, but buy good stuff.

I see you're from Canada - depending what time of year and where you dive in the carribean (not to mention any natural insulation) you may find even 3mm overkill there. It's a very individual thing.

I would go dry myself, there is no comparison to diving cold wet or dry!!! I see a couple of new Apollo dry suits on craigslist.com Seattle for $500.00 each, I dive with the exact same suit in the Puget Sound and absolutely love it. I would do my home work and by the right gear the first time, you'll save money in the long run.

All great and advice and just to reinforce something... Even if you plan on being a warm water , several dives a year type diver buy a cold water reg... You never know how your plans may change... Buy a regulator that is good for everything you only want to buy one once apparently (ScubaPro, Apex, apparently Zeagle from reading scubaboard but I have no experience with it).

Fins, mask; get stuff that fits nicely don't worrry about cost brand etc most important is fit.

BCD, get one that is comfortable, don't worry about BP/Wing and get one that you are happy with now... Personally a BCD is the one item that at some point as your diving changes you may want to upgrade. Many new divers are not comfortable in a back inflation BCD but discover as they progress that this is something they prefer.

Wetsuits only have a limited life anyway so buy whatever you think is going to suit your diving. The 3mm is great, if you the bug bites you can always buy the 7mm needed for the lakes.

Not sure about this rental thing either; If I had rented gear by the time I realised I preferred back inflation I could have bought the BCD I owned at the time in rental fees.

Besides if the Scuba Bug bites money will no longer be an issue, I spend all my money and more on diving. Oh and I'm always looking to upgrade something so I guess for me it would be impossible to buy the right gear first time. There is always going to be something new, something I haven't tried or something that just somehow seems better than what I have...

If you're like me do some research on each item; search the scubaboard, search google. If you can get it serviced easily, it fits nicely, suits your plans, your pocket, any possible growth you may think of currently and other people like it then buy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom